1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The "penalty" incident

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 18, 2016.

Discuss The "penalty" incident in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pacific Ocean Blue

If the shoe was on the other foot we'd be going mental that it was a clear foul. It was a foul and a red... no question about it :56:

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's what I see as well. He has a bad touch and needs to change direction to do so, which is what caught Erik out, I can't see how Erik could have avoided contact at that speed either.

For me it's a penalty all day long and never a red card in a million years.

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Doesn't there have to be intention, though? I genuinely don't think Sviatchenko does that on purpose. He takes a really bad touch it into Sviatchenko's path and then gets his body in the way (which he is entitled to do), but at that speed, I don't see how Erik could avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  4. ordinaryman

It's a bit like rear end shunt in a car. Onus is on one behind. Erik had clear view of what was before him and is experienced and savvy enough to know what might happen. Penalty.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But look at the view from behind here:

[ame="http://youtu.be/TrZmE3AeKdc?t=29"]http://youtu.be/TrZmE3AeKdc?t=29[/ame]

Erik is getting into a good position to put pressure on from the side, but the guy takes a bad touch right into Erik's path and changes direction drastically. Erik is running full tilt and he may have a clear view but that change in direction from their guy is too late for Erik to adjust his run. Don't get me wrong, the guy is entitled to get his body in the way, I still think it's a clear foul; but I see no intention whatsoever to get anything other than the ball from Sviatchenko.

6. ordinaryman

Rules are, if it's a foul that occurs outside box and players' momentum carries it into box, then it's a penalty - Howard Webb, BT Sport yesterday. So penalty and 11 vs 11.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That seems fair.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Nah, if it's a clear goalscoring opportunity you've debied you're off. Accident or no.

9. ordinaryman

It's a red if it's goal scoring opportunity/foul outside box. It's a yellow and penalty if it's inside box.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, I was replying to the point that their needs to be intent to take the man out.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That seems very harsh TBH, but cheers for clearing it up.

12. JohnBhoyCfc1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper + Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Cant Get Enough + Hail Hail
    If it happened to us it we would have been giving the ref grief if we never got it. There was contact, very light contact but you have seen them being given.

13. Pacific Ocean Blue

Wouldn't it be a straight red because of him being the last man?

14. Belfast_Bhoy

id have been raging if we never got it. one of those 'blue moon' times in life when a wee 'honest mistake' goes your way i suppose!!....

no doubt we'll pay for it in the coming weeks with plenty of the mistakes going against us

*edit* by the way im not convinced it would have been a pen... but roles reversed i'd have been looking for a free and a red card

15. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    I thought it was outside the box anyway, so defo not a penalty. And even the caley manager admitted that.

Still can't make my mind up on it tbh. One of those ones that wouldn't really be a foul anywhere else on the pitch, looked like a "coming together" more than anything else. Sviatchenko is trying to lean in and put pressure on the guy to put him off, and the striker was doing the exact same. Defo not a dive.

No clear foul either way, ref got it spot on. If he's not 100%, he can't give it.

16. CrSBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Exactly how I see it. By the point of contact neither have control of the ball but Erik definitely looks to be winning it until he is obstructed by the foot of the ICT player.

17. ORIGINALS

:56: that's a foul all day long.

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Was a weird one and could have gone either way we were lucky it went for us.

Although the guy is the one who really committed a foul, he's stuck his leg across Sviatchenko and tripped him and himself, if he doesnt do that then Sviatchenko would never have touched him but its a funny one as he is running infront of Sviatchenko so makes it look like hes ran into the back of him.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I've just had a thought about this new rule with the booking for a penalty... mind Carlos Cullears handball save on the line, would that just be a booking?

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    On who though?

It is a tricky one when you really look at it though. The guy who made the contact was the Inverness player, usually the one deemed to have made contact is the one who is given the fould against.

For example when someone slide tackles someone the guy whos slided in with the tackle is the one who is fouling, not the one who is running into the tackler.

In this case the one whos done the tackling is the Inverness as its him thats stuck his leg into Sviatchenko. If he never put his leg across Sviatchenko would never have touched him, he actually sticks his leg in between Sviatchenkos when you watch it really slowly and the outcome is he trips Sviatchenko.