1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Barcelona vs Celtic, Tuesday 13/09/16, 19.45. BTSport3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Random Review, Sep 7, 2016.

Discuss Barcelona vs Celtic, Tuesday 13/09/16, 19.45. BTSport3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If they'd have lost with Iniesta, Pique, Rakitic, Messi and Suarez on the park I'd maybe be more convinced.

However they didn't. 7 players were out.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Resting them to face the mighty Celtic. They're running scared. :smiley-laughing002:

3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Need some John Kennedy/David Marshall/Barry Robson/ Venegoor of Hessilink/Donati/Du Wei/Larsson type performances on Tuesday

4. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Anything is a bonus.

Let's just give a good account of ourselves.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    De Vries

Gamboa Lustig Toure Sviatchenko Tierney

Armstrong Bitton Brown

Sinclair

Dembele

That's what I'd do. A lot of responsibility on Sinclair in that formation there.

6. Deco67

Same team for me that mate :50:

7. Mr Diggler

Same team for me. Give a good account of ourselves and I'm happy.

8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    This isn't a game to be giving players their debut unless forced to by injury. I wouldn't start Gamboa. It's going to be a torrid enough time without adding the confusion that introducing a new player at the back brings. He won't even have trained with the team much as he was away on international duty.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Don't think we can risk bringing O'Connell back in after not playing for a while, at least Gamboa will have the experience to cope I think.

We need 3 at the back.

10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'd rather we stick with a settled back 4 than bring in an unknown entity for this game. Still if Brendan thinks he's ready, I'm not going to argue. I just fear that if we get a tanking, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, it could harm his confidence, and if he has a poor game he could be made the scapegoat by some of our fans. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk. Thankfully it isn't my call to make. :icon_mrgreen:

11. Keano88

Back 5 needed, defo.

12. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Forrest will start, pace and directness will be essential in launching counter attacks. Big pitch and a Barca team that will leave gaps at the back will make this an ideal game for him imo. If Sinclair can make those diagonal runs in behind than he and Dembele will get chances. I think Rogic will miss out in a 5-4-1

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's not ideal but having someone with his pace is always a plus. And he's been playing in a back 5 for Costa Rica long enough to know how that system works.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Exclusive: The David Moyes blueprint on how to beat Barcelona

DAVID Moyes reckons Celtic's only hope of beating Barcelona in the Camp Nou on Tuesday night is to abandon any thoughts of taking them on at their own game. The Sunderland manager and former Parkhead player, who rebuffed the chance to take over Celtic this summer, has a memorable 1-0 victory against the Catalan giants on his resume from his time at Real Sociedad.

The January 2015 encounter in the Anoeta saw Sociedad take the lead via a second-minute Jordi Alba own goal then defend resolutely for the remainder of the match, gaining a clean sheet despite Lionel Messi and Neymar joining Luis Suarez on field for the last half hour. While this year's Barcelona again showed signs of frailty when losing at home to lowly Alaves in La Liga on Saturday night, shortly after Celtic were dismantling their Old Firm rivals Rangers, Moyes reckons his former club may have to sacrifice the attacking instincts which have served them so well this season if they are to get a positive result.

"It was a brilliant night," Moyes told Herald Sport. "We scored a goal in the first minute from an own goal and we defended for our life. We just kept defending and kept defending - all defending.

"You never want to set out that way but you will be kidding yourself if you think you can go and play Barcelona, you just can't," he added. "They have too much of the ball. With their style, you will get one or two opportunities, because they play open. But you are playing against something which is completely different, it is not normal. Brendan [Rodgers] might have a different plan, he will have his own ideas, but we found that it was very hard to get enough of the ball off them.

"We were delighted when Messi and Neymar didn't start, although all three - Messi, Suarez and Neymar - were on with half an hour to go," Moyes added. "But I have to say it will be great for Celtic's players to get up close and see what it is like. We went there to the Nou Camp with Sociedad and were a bit unlucky to lose 2-0 in a league game, so from that point of view I have been there and it is not impossible. But you just have to somehow stay in the game as long as you can."

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Pipe down Davie, we don't need yer blueprint we've beat them ourselves.

16. ordinaryman

We need to work the sides up and down & keep middle solid, which was why earlier today, Armstrong got dropped - you wouldn't let me play 12 vs Barca. So agree with your line up except I'd have Forrest or Roberts on right to support Moussa with pace in counters & come inside Gamboa, KT to fill the middle or double team with them on wings. Offers more flexibility.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Always think the best way to play them is to flood the middle of the park, defend the box and surrender the wings. They will stretch the game no matter what but they always try and bring the ball back in the middle.

We can't allow any space their whatsoever to work in.

18. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Anyone on here going over?

19. ordinaryman

You may be right.

Problem I have with us is that we are good going forward but defensively, against high pressing sides we get shown up. Barca will high press us - agreed and so will leave big gaps behind, out wide. So when the ball comes to Moussa, as it will, he will need support. Having, essentially 2 attackers - unless Armstrong is your front/back man - I don't think will do it. The ball will come straight back. I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of throwing an untried Gamboa into the mix and neither am I excited about expecting JF or PR to defend but playing them gives you the flexibility of
    3 at the back
    2 (Brown & Bitton) -
    4 (2 wingbacks + JF or PR and Sinclair
    1 Moussa

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's not as if he gave any insight anyway.

'We fluked a goal and then parked the bus'. Some blueprint.