1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Family Cars

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Avatar Daizen, Sep 5, 2016.

Discuss Family Cars in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Me and the gf are having our first wean soon and we're looking to get a decent 5dr family car. Wondering if any of you lot have any recommendations?

Budget about 5/6k, could go a wee bit more though. Manual/petrol preferably. Low insurance/tax bracket. At least 1.2cc.

Ideally something not too old, quite smart looking, not a mad granny car. Few people have suggested Nissans to me but all my family drive Nissans, don't want to look like I'm copying them. :smiley-laughing002:

2. Aidan O’Shea

Out of wedlock? :nonono:

3. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    I picked up a 11plate astra last month for just under £6k. with only 46k miles on the clock. diesel, with all the bells and whistles.

4. LV426 Guest

Ford focus Diesel, big enough good mpg, low insurance and tax£20 py, reliable and there are plenty of them around.

Megane diesel 1.5.DCI, had one for about 5 years, it just ran and ran and ran. people told me the electrics were $hit on Renaults but I had no troubles, great mpg, low insurance and tax£30 py.

5. TimFloyd Gold Member

BMW 320d

6. This Charming Man

Fiat Multipla

7. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

get an astra me and the mrs got one for the exact same purpose our first kid was due and couldnt be arsed with the threat of a brakedown in an old banger ours was about 10 months old got it for under 10k

8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Sounds good mate. Did you get it through a dealer or private?

Astra sounds good but I do like a Ford. Mates got a Fiesta and the heated front window seems like it would be excellent in winter.

9. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Nissan Note. Good size for a family, and basically the same interior as the bigger Nissan range.

I currently drive a Focus which is also good for a family.

10. Buster

Don't think there's a huge amount of difference in prices between dealers and private these days. There's more security with dealers and the prices are there to be knocked down and negotiated.

11. Div

We have had a focus and an insignia, make sure the insignia is a diesel as the petrol is useless!
    Focus is a great car too

12. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Skoda Rapid 1.2 tsi? Only thing is you will look like a taxi. I can vouch for the 1.6 diesel that's my taxi no issues just tyres and brake pads. It's sitting at 50k miles on a 15 reg
    Or look at the Dacia range and Kia are good for warranty.

13. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

14. celts67

15. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Genuine question.....is this your opinion of the Insignia exclusively or other vauxhalls/cars too???

Reason i ask is because i've just bought a family car about a month ago and went for a 1.2 petrol Octavia. Now, i know * all about motors, but the homework i did and speaking to a clued-up mate i went for a petrol because

1) economy only kicks in if you do 15k+ miles a year. otherwise not worth paying extra. i only do maybe 8/10k.

2) i believe (someone may correct me) modern diesels have a DPF and if you don't give it a good run around regularly you could be looking at an expensive bill to repair. i only commute 14 miles round trip and other small journeys so again no no.

I needed more space and really happy with the Octavia so far. I thought 1.2 was too small at first as it's a bit of lump but it handles it easy. Because it has a turbo it's actually got more power than my old 1.9 TDI. Seriously!!

ANYWAY MATE, i'd be looking at an Astra/Focus if it was me like the guys said above.

ps- knowing nothing about motors the best sites i found were http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars , http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/chooser/ and https://www.cargurus.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
  16. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Honda civic, bullet proof and you can get it in 1.4 petrol. Big boot and magic seats in the back that fold up to allow stuff to stand up.

17. Div

I had a 1.8 petrol insignia and to be honest everything went wrong with it. Spoke to a few mechanics and they agreed that the petrol insignia is no use. The diesel insignia however is apparently so much better.

I'm not saying every petrol insignia is rubbish but just had the car in different garages and every mechanic said that the amount of times these cars are in getting fixed is shocking.

Do you like the octavia? I have a vauxhall astra 1.7 cdti it has been spot on so far!

Hopefully you have lots of happy miles in your car! :shamrock:

18. celts67

19. Div

I previously had a Honda Civic and not one thing went wrong with it. 1.4 petrol too! Great car to have.

20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    cheers pal.

yeah it's luck of the draw with motors to an extent. My brother-in-law bought his last 3 motors new (i never would) and he's had a bit of grief with all of them. All Focuses, i think.

cheers again

Hail! Hail!

ps-i really like the octavia so far.....huge boot and plenty rear leg room which was what i needed. quite a few toys too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016