1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, Jun 25, 2016.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dallas Cowbhoys

To reply to a few of your posts at once, he wasn't the best CB in that league last season. To use one example, Grant Hanley plays CB at Blackburn alongside him and he won their POTY. You won't find many Blackburn fans who rate Duffy more than Hanley.

He is good and still young but not as good as being made out on here, and as pointed out, by far and away the main criticism of him is he always has a big mistake in him. When you're a defender or keeper with that attribute you normally end up costing your team a lot of goals, something he did a fair few times last season, hence why some of them don't really rate him.

2. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Christ not as good as Hanley, think I'll take my chances with Jamie McCart

3. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    When was the last time Lustig played a competitive game at CB? What makes you think he's aCB and not a RB?

I thought that he done well at CB the few times I seen him but that was not for long.

4. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    The biggest games I recall him playing CB in were both at home in the CL to Benfica and Karagandy, keeping clean sheets in both.

Lustig doesn't have the legs or pace anymore to play RB imo, it is also a position where he will be more susceptible to injury I think as well like a hamstring etc. Brendan Rodgers teams are known for loving fast pacey fullbacks, sadly for Lustig this is something he doesn't have.

I'm also positive I've read an article before maybe a year ago where Lustig mentions that he may have to come inside now to CB the older he gets as his legs were going for the RB position, sure I read he even suggested to Ronny he play CB instead but Ronny decided to keep playing him at RB anyway.

I just think he brings a lot of experience to that CB position, he can read the game well, he's a good tackler and is a threat at set pieces both for attacking and trying to get goals and also for clearing his lines. He's got good height as well and is comfortable with the ball at his feet when passing(Something for example is lacking in Boyata at CB). So all in all I just think he'd be a good option there going ahead this season.

5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    For the love of * * Lustig is not a central defender, he will get his time to recuperate come back and play RB, his biggest problem last year was playing far too much as we left ourselves with * all back up, and this is exactly why Rodgers is sounding out people like Gunter

6. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Too many people just wanting this to Happen because he's a likeable guy!

If he ain't good enough to play the position he's needed then he's got to go...

7. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    paul the tim
    Twitter › paulthetim
    Update on Shane duffy Celtic made a bid yesterday and he's back from holiday coming from the Derry brigade
    36 mins ago - Twitter

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/rodgers-in-a-hurry-for-duffy/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CELTIC are poised to shell out £2million to Blackburn Rovers for Republic of Ireland international centre-half Shane Duffy – a move revealed on CQN back on June 25!

The towering defender, a lifelong Hoops fan, is understood to be interesting top-flight English clubs, but would jump at the chance of joining Brendan Rodgers’ Revolution at the five-in-a-row champions.

Duffy, 24, could solve the new Parkhead gaffer’s biggest problem as he prepares the team for next week’s Champions League qualifier first leg against Lincoln Red Imps in Gibraltar.

Rodgers, of course, has also confirmed his interest in his former Liverpool defender Kolo Toure who is a free agent after being released by the Anfield outfit.

The 35-year-old Ivorian international, who cost Manchester City £14million when they signed him from Arsenal in July 2009, joined the Irishman on a free transfer at the Merseyside outfit four years later. Rodgers is prepared to offer a one-year contract to be reunited with Toure.

But, looking to the long term, Duffy has emerged as his priority target and Rodgers is looking to get the deal done ahead of Celtic’s European qualifier next Tuesday in Gibraltar.

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not even sure I want him

10. Heb Celt

Could Duffy and Toure be the 2 Brendan wants before game against the Red Imps,looking likely.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don't. If we're getting Toure I don't see the point in getting Duffy as well. I'd rather see Jozo given a chance when he's ready.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We need four CBs tho..

If Mulgrew leaves then I'd take him, offers something different and would battle hard for us..

13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I also don't like that all of our targets are from the English market. But it is something I expected under Brendan, certainly this season

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

14. Crilly

I understand what yer getting at but they've all been good/decent targets for good/decent fees so far tbh

15. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    If we get Kolo Toure in then we would be fine for CBs imo. I don't see the need either for Duffy who I don't rate that highly.

Erik Sviatchenko
    Kolo Toure
    Jozo Simunovic
    Mikael Lustig (Who can play there)
    Efe Ambrose (Good squad player to have)

Get rid of Boyata and Mulgrew.

That's more than enough for CB, no need for Duffy imo (Unless Toure isn't joining in which case another CB would have to be brought in so then Duffy would make sense in that case, but no need for both imo).

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'd rather have Duffy as a squad player than Efe.. And if Lustig was going to be a CB he'd have been one by now..

17. Celtic Symphony

Lustig is not a CB. Why do people keep banging on about him playing there.

He has never showen he could be good in that position in an extended run of games.

18. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Duffy won't be joining to be a squad player though, Efe would maybe accept that role and no matter what anyone says he's a very capable squad player, as he'll show next week in Gibralter. Lustig has played there before and played well, he even said in an interview not long ago he may have to make it his new position due to his legs not being what they once were for RB.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Lustig isn't a centre half, folk need to stop banging that drum.

20. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    He has never shown he can't be good either by the same token. A good experienced player to have who is now no use at RB due to his lack of pace. It would be wrong to throw him into the scrap heap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.