1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Rodgers be our biggest ever appointment?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Shane1888, May 18, 2016.

Discuss Would Rodgers be our biggest ever appointment? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Shane1888

In terms of reputation, success and recognition, it's hard to argue against Brendan being our biggest ever managerial appointment if we announce him in the next few days.

We'd finally be seeing some long awaited ambition from the board, after several years of the 'biscuit tin mentality' being in full force and failing to spend when we really needed to. This would go a long way to making up for the past failings of Lawwell and co.

Rodgers is exactly the calibre of manager that we should have at our club. Personally, I think this would be bigger than when MON was appointed.

2. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    On paper you would have to say one of the biggest appointments.

3. shendr18

he hasnt signed and lets just see how it plays out

better than keane, mccay, coyle and lambert though

4. Keano88

At 5 ft 6... I doubt it :icon_mrgreen:

5. z1c0

Definitely. There has never been an appointment before which would get the club so united behind the board and the management team.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    On paper, perhaps.

His last job was one of the biggest in world football and he was there for a good 3 years, coming very close to an EPL title.

However in terms of importance and getting it right, I think O'Neill was bigger. This one is important as well obviously, as it always is. However back then we really had to lay down a marker.

Kind of similar to now I suppose but we have a much stronger position over them if we really want to take it.

7. doctor venglos

Bigger than Strachan,Mowbray, Lennon and Deila for sure.
    He would arguably be our most famous managerial signing if it comes about.
    Would put the wind up the Huns.

8. Keano88

This time last year I could not have imagined us having a chance of getting Rodgers or Moyes in.

It would be a massive statement if either were to be announced.

The buzz around the place for the new season if Rodgers is named manager will be unreal.

9. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mowbray came with a pretty big reputation and promise of a certain style of football as we all no it never worked out

10. rickyroma25

It would be the highest profile appointment we've ever made without a doubt.

11. Keano88

Rodgers would be another level though, he's actually been at a top club quite recently. Mowbray managed West Brom.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Mowbray finished 20th with West Brom when we got him. Massive difference although he was a pretty big appointment/name at the time.

13. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Aye, it really would. He managed one of the biggest clubs in the world and he helped achieve them their best finish in a long while - so close to the title.

O'Neill was great but he was seen as up and coming and crafty. Read a few article from the time and it seemed like there wasn't that much of a turnout for MON at the stadium when he arrived. Indeed the papers made it sound anti-climactic after we went for him, rather than Hiddink (but they always do with us I suppose).

14. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Personally, I don't think Rodgers would be a bigger appointment than O'Neil.

15. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Really? I think there is revisionist romanticism about MON's arrival.

We went from Pursuing and negotiating with Hiddink, who was to be paid £1.5m year (which would have made him one of the highest managers in the world according to the papers) to MON. A guy who was doing pretty well with an unfashionable side, getting 8th-10th place finishes in the EPL. I mean, he wasn't glamorous by any stretch of the imagination and he would not have been on anyone's minds, nor their first choice.

Now, we know how good he was and how amazing the results would be - he was definitely what we needed. But, I don't think it was that big a signing as this would be.

16. Pinstripe

When Rodgers name was first mentioned on here, I thought yeah but we have absolutely no chance of attracting someone like that.
    If this deal is done, which is looking increasingly likely, its a massive statement of intent from the club towards the rest of Scottish football.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's not just Rodgers himself that has me interested.

It's the fact that if he comes here he has been given certain promises regarding funds and transfers, surely? Could see a change in direction for once.

18. Pinstripe

Hopefully......and usually, not always but usually the higher the profile of the manager, the higher the profile of players he can attract.

Exciting times ahead.

Jeez this deal better get done or there's gonna be alot of * off folk :smiley-laughing002:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  19. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I cant find the video, but only very recently I watched an interview on youtube with Desmond from 2000 and he said that there was no other candidates for the job at the time, and he knew Martin was the man for the job. Obviously he might just have been saying that but I'm not sure we were ever actually negotiating with Hiddink.

I think MON at the time and Rodgers now are probably comparable, O'Neill had won two trophies with Leicester after getting them up and turned them into a solid EPL side. Different times though so it is hard to say really. Rodgers will be doing brilliantly if he can get even close to what MON achieved though.

20. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye, Celtic have really been put in a corner now :smiley-laughing002: