1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

No, luck hasn't played a part.

What this has highlighted for me is just how well Lennon managed to perform when he was here, although I do think that the conditions under which he was asked to work were becoming more stringent, which led to him leaving.

As Roy Keane pointed out, the current board are incredibly restrictive when it comes to the conditions our manager has to operate under. Too restrictive for him by his own admission.

Deila really had no option but to take the job. It was a no-brainer for him really, and even when he leaves he'll still return to Norway as a highly sought-after manager with two league titles (hopefully) and a domestic Scottish double with one of Britain's biggest clubs on his CV.

I certainly don't feel sorry for him, he'll not be short of offers back home and he'll have managed to pad out his bank account a bit whilst here no doubt.

The job was simply too big for him. When dealing with players who have Champions League experience and various domestic medals in their pocket you have to carry a level of authority about you, and it looks as though Deila simply didn't have it.

It probably doesn't help that he was one of the lowest paid people in the official team photo most likely.

One thing that any future manager has to be wary of though is the fact that, despite Deila's shortcomings, it would appear that certain players simply refused to perform for him.

More than a hint of unprofessionalism in my opinion.

Either that or a few of our best players suddenly developed the inability to put in a shift overnight.

These guys, and we all know who they are, need watching. I personally wouldn't be against a pretty substantial clear out this summer.

2. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I think Sunday's game we were incredibly unlucky, Roberts miss, countless times off the post. Yes, they dominated possession but never really threatened too much to score.
    and who knows what would of improved with a more settled back four through the season?

But still, unfortunately, doesn't offset the bad results through the season, the lack of tactical change, euro disaster and sticking with favorites, which to be fair had been a Lennon trait in the past as well.

The players have given up and stopped playing for him and he'll have to take the hit for that.

3. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Like all managers, Ronny has had a bit of bad luck but by and large his failures have had nothing to do with luck and all to do with * tactics, poor team selection and poor motivation.

Legia (talk about luck fs!), Maribor, edging through a poor EL group before being knocked out by a below average Inter team, Malmo, Molde x2, lowest European points total in our history, 11 EL games without a win, awful, mind numbing football this season, then the death knell... Knocked out by a team of League One journeymen, downright dross and Kenny * Miller.

4. Bunk Moreland

Good post :50:

On the highlighted part it could be a subconscious thing with the players, I doubt they're going out and under performing on purpose. There's obviously a problem between some players and Deila.

If it's the tactics, team selection and/or the formation they don't like then I don't blame them for their heads going down when things aren't going right, it must feel like they're banging their heads against a brick wall playing a style of football that they don't like. It's bound to affect their performance.

5. Maestro 08

The guy said himself after the match that the performance was * poor, forget the number of shots we had etc etc we just weren't good enough. How many times have we heard him say 'but we'll get it right next game' blah blah? There was none of that this time as I don't think the guy believes himself anymore. He's come up short and there's only so many times you can come away with the same pish before you just look like a crackpot.

He knows the writing is on the wall. I just hope we don't crumble from now to the end of the season as morale & belief in that dressing room must be at rock bottom.

6. Dáibhí

It may well be, but it's definitely worth the watching is all I'm saying. I * hate this idea that players don't like a manager so they just down tools until he's bumped.

The manager is supposed to be in charge, and if he's not then what's the point in having one?

7. Bunk Moreland

I just don't think it's the case, I mean even Deila's boyfriend Johansen has been pish, I doubt he would down tools, Brown, Bitton and some others I could believe could.

That's the problem with Deila, he doesn't seem to be the sort of guy to have the balls to have it out with the team. He seems to be the sort to just stubbornly carry on regardless.

8. Dáibhí

It also doesn't help that he was lumbered with possibly the most unlikeable man in Scottish football management in John Collins as well.

I'm not sure who's smart idea it was to bring him into the fold, but they should have their head examined.

9. Bunk Moreland

I can understand the thinking behind it, get a what they though was a good prospect though relatively inexperienced manager and team him up with two guys that know Celtic and the Scottish game in side out. But why Collins? that came from out of nowhere.

10. Dáibhí

I know I've mentioned him in another thread, but someone like McGhee would have been perfect for that assistants job.

11. Bunk Moreland

Yeah, someone who's been relatively successful as a manager and doesn't have previous for * off his own squad. Collins two years in management makes him less experienced than Deila ffs.

I loved JC as a player but as a manager or in this case assistant manager he's poor.

12. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why the * wasn't he allowed to bring in his own assistant anyway ?

No wonder Keane turned it down. Expected to work with an assistant you've never met and therefore wouldn't trust right away.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Because he wasn't going to be the manager to start with, he was to have been Lenny's assistant. He should have been encouraged last summer/earlier to take in his own background team. Although he may well have been but chose not to do so, we will likely never know.

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, so were Barnes and Mowbray.

15. Bunk Moreland

True, we're just assuming the board threw Collins and Kennedy into the mix when Deila himself could have asked for people around him that knew Celtic and Scottish football. It typical though, fans always assume the worst when it comes to the board when in truth we know nothing.

16. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Nope. I think he's been out of his depth, clueless, naive/ignorant, and unwilling to change.

The only big change I remember was for the first Ajax game, which ended up being a 2-2 draw (though we probably should've won it).

17. JoeDan67

How many sevco players would you swap with our player?. On the evidence of Sunday, probably most of them :smiley-laughing002: But seriously would you really replace ANY of our players with ANY of theirs?

Of course not. Our players are better than theirs by a distance, but our manager is worse than theirs by an even greater distance.

What has Warburton achieved in football? * all, but this rookie manager has exposed RD for the pretender that he is, and you think he's just been unlucky?

I'd say the opposite is true. He was extremely lucky to manage an ordinary team in Norway at a time when they had an extrodinary amount of extrodinary talent coming through.

He found a parade and marched in front of it, but when he's been asked to LEAD the parade he's been found out.

Nice guy but essentially little more than a con man.

18. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Luckiest useless fuckpig I've ever known.

19. Dáibhí

A con man?!? Away you go with that pish! :smiley-laughing002:

20. Murph-E

Said his goal was to make us fitter and play better football. Has done neither.