1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Mar 2, 2016.

Discuss The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As I said, we should wait for concrete scientific evidence before going ahead with it or writing it off completely. I'm not keen on making our decisions based on what other countries do.

Goes without saying if some fat cats are going to make a pretty penny by turning our water fluorescent then I'd give it a pass :smiley-laughing002:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  2. Dáibhí

Well, let's hope you're right and it never gets the go-ahead. if it does, I'm sure our Green reps in Parliament will raise the alarm and oppose them on it anyway.

3. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, she is. My Aunt used to work with her...

4. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    I don't know how to feel I mean I got what I wanted, i voted SNP/Green but I thought Labour would have done better or the SNP might have gotten their majority and it would all be irrelevant after that.

The stereotypical 'tartan tories' who have found a home in the SNP have basically returned to their mother party. I don't think there is really as much of a 'stigma' voting tory now - folk in my uni classes openly admit all the time. There's more Tories than Labour supporters. :smiley-laughing002:

If Greens hadn't fielded a candidate in Davidson's seat, she wouldn't have been elected on the constituency but regional. Losing to Jackie Baillie (cretin) by 113 votes is a sickener and Ian Gray by less than one thousand too. Could have been so much more different.

Still a stupendously good result, considering the D'Hondt system we have is created to limited the opportunity for an outright majority, yet it's painted like a massive failure.

It only feels like a failure because of how well the Tories done. I mean for all I * and moan about them and some of them are dispicable (big fat Jackie Bailie), is Kezia Dugdale that bad?

She's probably more sympathetic to independence given that her family supports the SNP - she's openly admitted she'd let her members campaign for it and she'd consider voting for it if we left the E.U. (if Scotland voted to stay). Some of her policies were sound - they were progressive, lets not lie. She put forward some good, costed policies - the Tories didn't. The Tories just campaigned to be the 'effective opposition'. Infact the Tories used the referendum more than the nationalists did! The cheek of them to tell us to get over it. :smiley-laughing002:

Alex Salmond seemed quite sympathetic to her last night too. Only good thing is that realistically deals will have to be made but on a one party basis this time because we're short by two. And I think we could work with Labour.

The named person act is getting papped - no doubt about that. :smiley-laughing002:

The Greens oppose the football bill - something good can come of that.

5. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Oh,so we're voting for the party of Satan in Scotland now?

* from Edinburgh are English as far as I'm concerned.

* done.

6. This Charming Man

I have a friend from West Virginia where a lot of fracking has been going on, and outwith the obvious eyesore it creates and the environment it ruins, it's hard to see what good comes from fracking.

They're effectively shooting a mystery mixture of fluids at high pressure underground to crack rocks in order to release gas/oil. The thing that makes it different is that it's horizontal drilling and not vertical, so it's harder to regulate what the companies are doing because you can't really monitor to what extent they're expanding. According to some people there's been something like a 300% increase in Earthquake (albeit minor) activity in areas where fracking has become prevalent, they started drilling in Blackpool but were stopped half way for this exact reason.

That said, with what we know about fracking so far, it is still far superior to coal.

7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Aye she is as 'normal' as the rest of us. Sure there was a piece on the election programme last night that said her mother was a cleaner as well.

Not forgetting the effect the splitting of the 2 votes had as well that changed it from 2011.
    Still plenty to be positive about and a great night overall :50:

8. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    Interesting results last night. I was happy to see greater diversity and a resurgent Lib Dem vote, Willie Rennie is quite likable. That was a huge swing to the Conservatives, however, and is definitely the story of the night. They almost doubled their vote! The constitutional question was at the forefront of many voters minds and they went with the strongest opposition to the SNP. I knew a few people who voted for the Tories for this reason alone. On the whole the SNP are not as powerful as 2011, the independence question has therefore been kicked into the long grass and will not resurface until 2021, with any luck at least.

Labour did not answer that call. What makes Labour great is its principles but they are just not on display, they are always thinking about what the voters are thinking and shift accordingly. The fact that they flirted with the idea of another referendum was suicide. Far from what people are saying Labour are not dead or in existential crisis, they still received around a fifth of the vote. Undoubtedly they are in trouble and the SNP is now the undisputed establishment party but that creates opportunity. One thing that is guaranteed is the SNP support will fall over this government. Reform policies are never popular with the electorate and I would be suprised if people did not become a little disillusioned. Labour need to keep on point and be the left-wing party of Unionism. That's were their survival lies.

On a sadder note, the big winner last night was austerity.With the two largest parties content with cuts, social services will take a hammering. Apart from the major constitutional question you could not put a Rizla paper between Davidson and Sturgeon. Both want education and health reform and to keep taxes low. It looks like this was the politics of identity trumping policy. This can be quite dangerous. Sturgeon and Salmond in particular have wielded nationalism recklessly, should Davidson decide to unleash British nationalism there is the potential for dysfunction. Amongst the fight for identity, policy can get lost and we risk our social services getting stripped. Rather disturbingly we have more Conservatives and are a more right-wing parliament than the Welsh assembly, given that Plaid Cymray (or however you spell it) and Labour are left of the SNP and the Conservatives.

9. strike twice

The results are not as good as they could have been , but it's too late now to do anything about it ( * Tories ) so here's a joke ; What's blue and hangs from a * ?

ANSWER = Murdo Fraser's tie !:56:

10. Henke102

SNP and the want for indyref2 have been the main driver behind the Tories success up here. No voters see them as a vote for maintaining the union and stopping the push for indyref2. In alot of ways, the referendum in 2014 and the no vote, alongside a * poor Labour party possibly one of the best things to happen to Scottish tories who were nowhere the last time up here.

Cameron the snerge * will be loving it, seen his interview and he was even nore smug than usual.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Must be the huns who voted for the tories

12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
  13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That is probably very accurate I would think. If you add the Greens 6 seats to the SNP's 63 then there is still a majority of pro independence candidates in the assembly. So if Britain does vote to leave the EU then a second independence referendum is very much on the cards.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  15. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  16. Henke102

haha! in one tweet the guy has antagonised both Labour and the Tories ffs! It is the thing that * me off with politics, the constant sniping and parties going out the way to put down others at any given opportunity. Some of them are worse than sportsmen.

They should all accept the result and then work towards passing through policy and legislation to help the country. It leads people to think that all parties are 'just as bad as one another', and they become disillusioned with politics.

17. This Charming Man

You're a * delphic figure, I'll give you that.

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  20. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)