1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible european league..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIM O'Brien, Nov 12, 2015.

Discuss Possible european league.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I voted no because I'm mad like that

2. wulliebad

Loads of cash is great if you can stay in for 5 years to build something to challenge the best.
    So it would need to be a closed league with no relegation other wise year one we would be out on our *.

The gap between us and them is so huge i doubt we would win a game first year in.

Then there is the cost of following celtic in that league.....yes at first there might be a rise in ticket sales but how long before fans get bored with paying CL prices if not even higher for all the games.

3. Pacific Ocean Blue

Easy question, yes

4. Mannix

So we should stay in the outpost of the SPL, because you'd * the bed if we got a go at playing in an elite Euro league?:56:

5. wulliebad

I never said we should stay in the splfplf.......i said i thought jumping straight into a super league from the splfsp could be a mistake.

It could be like going from div 4 to the top league.

6. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It would be class. Even if we just merged with the Scandinavian leagues and perhaps the Benelux leagues. That would still be a very high standard of football.

Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Scotland etc. The top 3 teams within each league into a main league. And maybe a relegation back to your domestic league if you finish below your fellow countrymen.

* knows. I'm keen for it if it means Celtic will become a much better team on the park.

7. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I don't understand why France or Portugal are even mentioned here because if they were to allow Barcelona to join them, why wouldn't Spain? Which inevitably is what will happen. I voted yes though as that would be excellent... With a reserve team in Scotland.

8. shendr18

Think it would be better to start a european or british cup between those countries

Although that is exactly what the champions league and uefa cup is !!!

9. Nasser

The original Atlantic League was a good idea but
    The money would have to be huge for clubs to join. Europa should just be made into a Europe league set up with divisions get all the European leagues apart from EPL,Spain,France,Italy,Germany as they have good leagues but everyone else could enter teams in. I can't see Barcelona being kicked out of the Spanish league they are too important. Also I thought can't the Spanish just refuse a Catalonia independent referendum.

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Given the profile and money Barcelona bring into La Liga there is no way they will not find a way for them to remain in La Liga even if Catalonia becomes fully independant. I would imagine UEFA would happily accomdate this as the alternative is a kind of chaos they want no part of. Plus there are other precendents to allow this such as Welsh teams in the English leagues. Vaduz in the Swiss league and Monaco in the French league off the top of my head.

11. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

If a European league was set up I'd want to be involved,just so we wouldn't get left behind..but I don't think it will,nor do I really want it to.It would be ideal if the game in Scotland improved over a period of time,or if we got fairer tv deals from evil corporations like Sky.Even if there was some sort of UK-wide league I'd be up for that.

12. TheHappyLoss

Kill our identity blah blah blah rather play Hamilton blah blah blah............

13. freitassen

I have mixed feelings about this this. It probably would include them too and would be a death sentence to every other scottish club.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Barca would still play in La Liga, can't ever seeing that not happening. If Swansea, Cardiff etc can operate in the English Leagues then Barca most definitely will be allowed to stay in the top Spanish division. Surely?

You could probably add Monaco in Ligue 1 as another example, seperate state, is it not?

15. freitassen

We would be the Hamilton in such league

16. TheHappyLoss

Maybe initially, but Celtic has huge potential that we will never reach in Scotland

17. HunkyDorey

For people like me it makes no difference,flying up the road for home games is the same cost as flying to Europe,it cost me 5/600 quid every time I watch Celtic

18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think it's a great idea, obviously the set up should be several group stages and knock outs. So each team would play in their league with top 4 from each league being split into several groups and then top 2 from that qualify to a knock out stage. It's a great idea but will not happen unless UEFA change it or teams leave UEFA to start a new association.

Only thing is there's a lot of teams that would be left out and lose a lot of cash.

19. Millerntor

500/600 :97: You flying up in a private jet ffs?!

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Also yeah Barca are too big, they will stay in La Liga considering the amount of money they generate for the league and other teams.