1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible european league..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIM O'Brien, Nov 12, 2015.

Discuss Possible european league.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    So as most of you probably know catalonia is closer than ever before to gaining independence from spain. This while great news for the people of catalonia, is not so great news for our friends F.C Barcelona. It means as a club residing is what would effectively be a different state, they would no longer be registered as members of the spanish football association.

Now assuming spain don't decide to re-write their rules and allow them in anyway, this leaves a historic club, with arguably the best team and definitely the biggest stadium in european football. Without anywhere to play...

This scenario has now seen the re-emergence of the notion of a european super league.. according to the press over there this is something that barca would favour over moving to the french or portuguese leagues for example, and theirs no doubt with the reconstruction going on at fifa at the moment and a club like barca looking to push the idea through it would be a distinct possibility..

I think with a club of celtics stature around the world we would be in a very good position for a place in such a league (should it happen) where we to apply, and I think with the way things are going for us at the minute dermot desmond and the board would definitely be intereted..

So I guess the question is... Would you like celtic to play in a european super league with clubs like barca and whoever else joined? would it be a good to see us play against teams of this stature every week? or would the away journeys every couple of weeks be too much for us to take on?

Hail Hail:shamrock:

2. In the Jungle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Adam Mathews
    I would love to see Celtic involved in this with a B/ reserve Team still competing in Scotland in all Comps.

3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I've always thought this is the only we will attain our true potential.

4. Wicker Bhoy

Barcalona will be allowed to play in the Spanish league regardless of the Catalonia outcome

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The thought of a big portion of that tv revenue disappearing will force the Spanish FA to allow an outside team into their league structure ao however i may want Celtic into a European super league i doubt it will happen.

On another point.
    The Celtic season ticket prices would go up to reflect that leagues status.
    Would you be willing to pay it as well as all the associated travel costs to Europe every 2nd week.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  6. The Celtic Way

who the * said no

7. Mr. Slippyfist

The person who didn't vote yes :50:

8. The Celtic Way

how happy they must be with life in the spfl :56:

9. DaBomber

It's the only way that there could be a league with TV revenue larger than the EPL I mean if there's a couple of matches on what would you rather watch Watford against Stoke or Celtic against Ajax

10. Mannix

There's 3 of them saying No now:56:.

* is one of them, he must be the resident troll on here.

11. wulliebad

* super league.:56:
    pie in the sky dreams.

12. Mannix

It's very unlikely, but if - that's if - such a thing was set up, you would actually say No to Celtic joining it:56:

13. saltire78

The formation of a whole new league is the only way I'd support celtic leaving the Scottish setup.

I think it's inevitable that these leagues will form, but it won't be for ages, and I severely doubt we'll be invited; to the top and maybe even second league. This woll be done for purely greed reasons, and we're likely to be forced outta the running by smaller but richer teams from the bigger leagues

14. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would never happen, I doubt teams from the big 5 leagues wouldn't agree unless given huge amounts of money.

15. wulliebad

Yes i would.
    Ticket prices would rocket, away games would be very costly.......all our games would be against the elite of europe...we would lose most of our games and our season would be a relegation fight every year.
    And if we got relegated where too...?

2nd super league or back to the splfplf.

16. shendr18

Would need easy jet to offer cheap flights however would guarantee full house for most home games

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Not voted but probably would vote Yes as long as there was a Celtic team that remained playing in Scotland. As has been said for those voting yes hopefully none would moan about the price of a ticket should it ever happen. Although I have a feeling they would.

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Well that's not going to happen is it , supply and demand they will jack up the price, just as we would for tickets.

19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How could you possibly say we would lose most of our games.
    If we were in a European SUPER league there would suddenly be loads more cash for whichever manager we had to invest in a team that could compete against the other teams.
    TV revenue would rocket, players would suddenly consider playing for Celtic knowing that there would be a big market for the league.
    Initially we may lose some but not as much as you think.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Of course, i'd be delighted to see us join any League better than the SPL English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish. Whatever it takes.