1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Neil Lennon a Celtic Legend?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sean Daleer, Sep 20, 2015.

Discuss Is Neil Lennon a Celtic Legend? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I commend you for actually putting in the effort of writing that post. I would have stopped after the first sentence :smiley-laughing002:

2. Markybhoy

What did Tommy Burns ever achieve as a player or a manager that Neil Lennon didn't?

It's absolute nonsense to suggest Burns is a Celtic legend while at the same time saying Lennon is not.

3. Fanny Chmelar

Has he ever come out and publicly said why he left Celtic ?

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Nope and I doubt he will because it would involved criticising us. He won't do that.

5. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    He was planning for the new season and very suddenly he was gone. Reading between the lines I would say it was a combination of Johan leaving and the boss not sufficiently backing him in the transfer market.

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Did WGS ever say why he left Celtic?

Had a wee look on google and came across this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8067244.stm

Included is this
    A return to English football could now beckon, with Strachan thought to be interested in the Sunderland vacancy.

Something often used to tarnish Lenny but ok for Gordon. Seems Lenny has a high standard to live up to than other Celtic managers.

7. DonTimCorleone

lennon legend and he has the bullets to prove it

8. Darnok

How does that make him a legend?

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Know anyone else who served us admirably will actively risking his life for the club?

10. Darnok

He never risked his life "for the club".

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    How did he not?

12. Darnok

Well, the onus is on you to prove that he did. You made the claim.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Didn't get threats on his life from our rivals until he moved to Celtic, still continued playing even though it would have been very simple to go back to England to where he was living, to get away from them. When he became manager, they actively started trying to send him bombs in the post. He was under 24 security, all because he was an Irish Catholic, fiery Celtic manager.

He continued under that pressure and that threat to his life because he loved the club. It would have been a very simple thing to go back to England and escape the madness, bile and bigotry that is Scotland.

If you don't think he went through exceptional circumstances, through the absolute worst that our society offers us to serve as both a player and manager for us you haven't been paying attention for the last 15 years.

14. Fanny Chmelar

How is it tarnishing Lenny,it was a simple question with no sarcastic retort.

Nice try though.

15. Darnok

So, yeah, you've no proof, just assumption. Really, neither of us know why he stayed. Regardless, my initial question was how getting death threats and staying makes him a club legend, not his inner motivation for hanging on.

16. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Did I say you personally or do you just have a guilty conscience. I didn't even quote your post. Do you really think every post is about you?

Have a look through the old Lenny thread and see how many people have had a go a Lenny claiming he left to work in England.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I've no proof? My proof is he stayed here for 14 years despite all that. He didn't dessert us when he had more than enough reasons.

That's only a small part that makes him a club legend, loyalty is a massive thing in it. As much as I love Henrik Larsson I highly doubt he would have stayed at us with his life in danger. Lenny did and I love him for it, especially because of what he actually achieved in his time here.

He was a key player in the treble winning season, a key player in multiple other league winning/cup winning seasons, was essential on the run to Seville, captained us to the last 16, made a real difference returning as a coach (as soon as he was here we went on our winning run for Tommy Burns Thursday), he stayed loyal and coached the youths despite Tony Mowbray trying to push him out of the club, rescued us from the disaster that was Mowbray and turned the club around.

Won 3 in a row and managed us to the last 16, winning record amount of points for a Scottish club in the CL group stage as well as scoring a record amount of goals in that same group stage that season. Despite being 4th seeds in possibly one of our hardest ever groups, beating the best team in the world along the way.

There's not a shred of doubt Lenny's achievements, the circumstances he faced and his loyalty to us makes him a legend.

Think of one great moment for us in the last 15 years that Lenny wasn't a part of in some way.

GBNL :shamrock:

18. Fanny Chmelar

Post 103
    Post 106
    Just coincidence was it ,Nobody else talks about Lennon leaving in this entire thread :bbpd:

19. Fanny Chmelar

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8w2rN9O90U[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  20. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

I was referring to this thread *. Your question made me think about why WGS left. I googled it and came across that article.

I highlighted this "A return to English football could now beckon, with Strachan thought to be interested in the Sunderland vacancy."

Then I said "Something often used to tarnish Lenny but ok for Gordon"

I even said "Have a look through the old Lenny thread and see how many people have had a go a Lenny claiming he left to work in England."

Were you the only one who made derogatory comments about Lenny looking to work in England in the Lenny thread? Everything is not about you *.