1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Qarabag UCL 29/07/15 19:45 KO

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss Celtic v Qarabag UCL 29/07/15 19:45 KO in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Hope Griffiths starts, but if he doesnt, then the manager will have his reason, and i accept completely that him and Collins know a lot more about football than anyone in here.

I am not optimistic about this tie.I think it will be tough and id bite yer hand off for a 1-0 win.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not mega confident either, that's why I think we need at least a 2-goal cushion to take out there.

3. Kurt 2112

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The heat could really * us over there. Getting somewhat nervy. Need a comfy cushion wednesday.

4. wulliebad

dont know if its already been posted,good wee read.

http://etims.net/?p=7520

Qarabag have an identity within Azerbaijan culture which transcends football culture and makes them every supporters second team. Displaced to Baku following the invasion and destruction of their homeland Nagorno Karabakh, which resulted in 30,000 deaths, (mainly men and boys) The Horsemen as they are called have a fiercely loyal support but are also seen as a symbol of resistance against unjust occupation by Armenia.

They had a fairly mundane life in the league until the appointment of former professional player Gurban Gurbanov in 2008 who radically changed the make up of the playing staff. He insisted that the back bone of the team squad would be predominantly made up of home grown Azeri nationals balanced with a sprinkling of foreign players who would add value to the naturally robust talents of the locals

He set a pattern of play that would be strictly adhered to of 4-2-3-1 and set about changing the style of play to fast moving on the ground moving up and down the pitch as a unit attractive football. Ronnie, sorry Gurbanov and Qarabag won the league for the first time in 21 years in 2014.

I watched them in Europe in 2014 and saw them beat Red Bull Sazsburg, Dnipro (eventual finalists) and be cruelly robbed against Inter Milan when a 94th minute winner was disallowed. Replay showed that it was a perfectly good goal. Qarabag fans were convinced of the conspiracy that no one wanted a small provincial club from one of the smallest leagues in Europe to defeat the Princes of the game. The parallels are uncanny.

The season starts here on 8th August so fitness levels are similar to Celtic

The current squad consists of 4 Brazilians, Spaniard, Dutchman, Moroccan, Bosnian and the rest Azeris. The main thrust of attack tends to be down the left side of play to Brazilian mid-fielder Richard and then looking for another Brazilian centre forward Reynaldo in and around the box.

Gara Garayev and Joshgun Diniev are two Azeri defensive midfielders and can put it about when required to break up play.

Defensively they are very strong and are not frightened to put a foot in when necessary although they can be a theatrical in response to challenge. Bosnian Goalkeeper Sehic is a fine shot stopper but has the odd wobble moment which can install panic at the back. He is particularly susceptible to upset against a robust forward at crosses.

The back four also like time on the ball and again can be upset by being closed down quickly. The whole team can be prone to switching off for 5 or 10 minutes and then finishing the game strongly.

So much for Qarabag, the similarities of a rich history, being a peoples club supported by a displaced diaspora, a young ambitious manager playing an attractive style of play, filled with predominantly local players. What’s not to like. The local fans are excited by the draw as they feel they are facing one of the most famous clubs in the world and that they are in with a great chance of progress. Make no mistake they feel they can beat us over two legs. They normally play a similar style home or away and they are confident they will get a goal at Parkhead.

We will need to be at the top of our game and take our chances as they come. Brown and Bitton will be crucial in imposing themselves in midfield and we must be wary of their speed in breaking. My only concern would be the left back position and I would choose Izaguirre over Mulgrew. But then I don’t pick the team.

Baku is the heart of the oil and gas industry in the Caspian with its very own local Celtic Club who cannot believe our luck at getting to see our beloved club in competitive action. Hopefully after the first leg it will be an exhibition game

5. adamcfc

Lots of people have said on here that they aren't very good going forward but they're sturdy at the back. I don't know how many people watched the rudar highlights but it looked the complete opposite to that, decent side attacking but really quite shaky at the back. If both sides open up it could be a really exciting game

6. GMS

3-0 win.

Griffiths needs to start.

7. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    The history of the club and the region are interesting being displaced to baku and all (which btw looks a decent spot for a holiday ha)

Confident of a home win but * me these qualifiers are bad for the heart.

8. ordinaryman

We aren't exactly watertight when it comes to stopping goals, especially in Europe against a half decent team. So I expect them to score at least 1, which to me means we'll need to score 3. If we do that against a team that doesn't seem to give much away from home, that'll do me.

9. Boom Stick

A clean sheet is clearly our priority,we can score goals,but our back 4 have not gelled yet,going to be a tense night

10. Scottk

got a feeling we will hose them at parkhead then draw over there

11. calanor

Maybe Qarabag wont even make it to Glasgow in time.. :86:

Celtic's Champions League opponents Qarabag FK face a race against time to obtain visas before Monday's charter flight to Glasgow.
    The Azerbaijani champions have hired a plane to leave Baku for a six-hour flight ahead of Wednesday's third qualifying round first leg at Parkhead.
    But Qarabag officials admit they will only discover this morning if they have visas to fly to the United Kingdom after becoming tangled up and frustrated by red tape.

'We will travel to Glasgow on Monday at 19:30 UK time,' spokesman Nurlan Ibrahimov told Sportsmail. 'But it is not certain yet.
    'It is very difficult getting visas for the United Kingdom. We have been promised we will receive the visas early on Monday morning. We hope so because we have hired a special charter flight to fly us directly to Glasgow.
    'The flight will take six hours and it will be the longest journey in the club' s history. We just hope we have the visas in time without any problems.'

12. CelticAhly

Fav Celtic Player:
    /
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    What happens if they don't make it in time? Cant remember experiencing this

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good question, as long as it's not like that Scotland match years ago when they kicked off against nobody, what a farce that was.

14. VikingBhoy

Sheelagh McLaren ‏@sheelaghmclaren 4m4 minutes ago
    Qarabag say they've received their visas today and will fly to Glasgow tonight as planned. Had been concerns they wouldn't get them in time.

15. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I hope they get jetlagged tae *. Rough nights sleep and no time to adjust. We wipe the floor with them at Parkhead.

And then hopefully we don't get jetlag going in the other direction. I literally have no idea how that works though.

16. VikingBhoy

It's easier for us, we'll play in the afternoon Scottish time in Baku while they will play around midnight Azeri time in Glasgow. Should give us a small advantage

17. Samurai Bhoy

Doesn't work like that unfortunately, we will be traveling against the timeline so we'll feel it worse than they do.
    Saying that, if we arrive there a few days before hand it shouldn't have a major effect, it's only 3 or 4 hours difference.

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Beat these * around the place. 3-0.

Do we think Griff or Chiff will start?

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

How would we feel it worse than them ?

20. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Darker quicker I suppose, body probably better at adjusting to more light rather than more darkness.