1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Any middle ground on here?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TimFloyd, Dec 23, 2014.

Discuss Any middle ground on here? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    5/6 out of 10 season so far for me.

* start which was to be expected given a new manager changing the style of play. Bit harder to take though given what was achieved in previous seasons.

Initially some weeks we seen glimpses of improvements and then the next it was verging on abject in terms of performance. The signs of improvement have been much more visible for me since the Partick Thistle Cup game(consistently). In Europe, we've been similar. Decent performances followed by a display like Zagreb, yet as people rightly point out we have qualified.

My view is that we haven't regressed from performances at the start of the season and while at times we haven't been that impressive. Recent performances have shown promise.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Yet they were probably his 8th choice signings.

When your financially restricted as a manager, you kind of have to take what you can. Lennon sold Wanyama, his best player, and was given probably 30% of that to spend on players.

How can any manager on this planet make Celtic a top side if we are constantly falling back down the ladder every 2 - 3 seasons.

3. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Another reason why Lenny left he alluded to the fact that signings had been taken out of his hands and put to committee. I doubt that any of those players you mention was his first picks but we will never know for sure.

4. VikingBhoy

5. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A manager always claims they weren't his signing when they go wrong, I remember Rafa Benitez at Liverpool saying the same thing :smiley-laughing002: I guarantee if Pukki and Balde had become the new Larsson and Sutton he would have taken all the credit for it

6. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Dont chat lad. Lenny had a great record in the transfer market. His reign brought in a massive transfer surplus.

I would like to know who is signing our players at the minute. I have a wee suspicion that this is no longer a remit for our manager. The signing of Gordon basically proves this along with the signing of the long scouted Tonev.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Still firmly support Ronny. I've liked him since day one.

It's far from perfect, the majority of performances have been poor. But the results have been getting better (weekend freak result aside). Hopefully he gets money to buy the players he wants and the team needs.

8. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Eh?

Lenny made some great signings yes, but they were all sold on for big profit, yet very little was reinvested back into the team. That was my point.

I find it hard to get overly excited by * hot players we have these days, because it's obvious they will be sold on in 2 - 3 seasons time and it will be back to square one.

P.S What the * does don't chat lad mean?

9. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    hahahaha calm yourself lad "dont chat" is a way of agreeing with someone, its donegal lingo!!

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I am on the fence. I obviously hope he will do the business as I dont want to see us starting next season with another new manager.

The last game against Dundee Utd. I noticed definite signs of improvement. Where I worry most is our performance in Europe especially at home.

I also do not think those in the pro Ronny camp do him any favours constantly having a go at Lenny. His comparison to Lenny is not really an issue so much as how he gets the team to perform.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Sleeping bear..

Surely he meant lion? :97:

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * this, enoughs enough, out!!

13. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Fair play, but even the urban dictionary has no idea what it means.

14. wulliebad

Sammy yes but joe could not get away quick enough...not much the board can do about that.

15. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    No need for the urban dictionary in the hills lad!!

16. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I accept that publicly declaring you want to stay can be a negotiating tactic but i think that we could have kept him on the books. I think Lawwell baulked at his demands. Weather this was unreasonable i dont know but i would have kept him if i could and i suspect Lenny would have as well

17. Wicker Bhoy

I think Ronny had a poor start, as did Lennon when he got the job official. There have been definite signs of improvement in recent weeks and the system and style that he talked about is now beginning to show. I'm excited by the vision he has for the future and I will accept a few bumpy months of him getting it together and getting his own side on the pitch if he can do it while retaining the title - which it looks like he will. The Europa league after Christmas is a bonus and he should be given credit for that. Some people need to relax and give the man time.

18. PaddyJamieson

I actually think some people are downplaying the achievement of being in all 4 competitions at this point in the season saying it's what should be expected of us. Yes, it's not a complete miracle that should invariably save his job, but history proves that it is very hard to do, it's not often we are in this position.

19. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    If he wins the domestic treble and qualifes for Europe (CL) next season then he deserves credit.

I do think that his most vocal backers on this site are downplaying our teams weakness though. Do you not agree?

20. PaddyJamieson

I agree, I too have been guilty when debating with someone who's against him of papering over certain undeniable cracks, but that's always been a lie of omission as opposed to outright denial. Nevertheless, a domestic treble would not just deserve credit, it would be an outstanding achievement, one that only two other people have managed.