1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Should celtic pursue joining the EPL

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jozo The Provo, Oct 16, 2014.

Discuss Should celtic pursue joining the EPL in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    If we want to fulfil our potential we need out of scotland. Football is getting bigger by the year. We will lose fans and future generations of fans unless we do it. We are relying on that poison getting promoted again. I dont like that future. Im really hoping Big pete is looking at 10iar and then * off.

2. Seosamh Máirtín

Can we improve the game? Maybe. Will it happen? Very unlikely, in my opinion. That is why I am of the opinion that we move. The SFA have never been known for their innovative methods and that certainly isn't changing any time soon. They are content with mediocrity.

3. Cmcgregor90

Ditching both leauge cups and merging in to one cup competition could be a start and something a bit different

4. Stevieg78

Lots of people saying we should help to make the Scottish game stronger - I'm not sure that is our responsibility or how we can even do that. we could make the SPL stronger by giving more of our money to other clubs - thus making us weaker, not sure that's fair if we ever want to compete in Europe?

Also lots of people saying that clubs need to drop ticket prices to increase attendances - I totally agree but this is the problem:

Club gets an average of 4000 fans paying £25 = 100K

if they dropped the ticket price to £12 and got an extra 2000 fans through the door that means still the revenue from tickets will drop by £28k - you have to sell a lot of programmes and pies to make up the difference and lets be honest its not going to happen.

That's why the true fans have to pay through the nose to support their team.

I would support Celtic if they played in the English league system and I think its the only way we will ever be a force in Europe again. TBH its not going to happen because the clubs wont vote it in - turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind.

5. Jinky1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Anything by the Wolfetones
    Eh?? Of course we represent Scotland. We are a Scottish club with Irish roots.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We are Scotland and we run it, it's a fact these days that can't be ignored..

7. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Irish club who plays in Scotland

8. Jinky1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Anything by the Wolfetones
    Last time I checked where the company was founded....it was Scotland. So we are Scottish.

9. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Where a company? So that's what the more then a club bollex was about :smiley-laughing002: sad thing is it's true

10. AzovBattalion Banned!

Never going to happen.would never want it to happen.it would be travesty for scottish football. We are scottish club so we play in scotland deal with it.

11. Sebelon

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I think there are pros and cons with joining EPL. Do not see a realistic way in at the moment though, but I cant see the arguement "we are a scottish club" being that important. If we could join we would join, money means more than identity today unfortunatly.

12. celtic89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Money over identity? You a no voter?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

13. The Celtbot

Don't see how this changes our identity as a club. Last I checked we'd still be Celtic and playing in Glasgow, it's not like we are going bankrupt like the huns. The opposition changes and we'd have more money and exposure, don't see why that is an issue to be honest. I would not miss playing scottish teams. We would bring our history and identity with us where ever we might go. People that want us in a Super European league instead of the EPL, I'm not sure how that is any different.

14. made in ireland

This is spot on.

Nothing would change in terms of Celtic's identity- or the culture and politics expressed by the supporters, if the club competed in an English or British league.

15. shieldsybhoy

This right here.

16. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    NO. I hate everything about the english game, we need to stay well away from it.

If we did though the club would grow both in stature and financially.

Just not for me.

17. In The Rain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current: Stokes - Former: Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just to weigh in on this one quickly, I'd be opposed to this for a few reasons, some purely selfish and others more based on the longevity of Celtic.

First of all, for selfish reasons: I have a nice compartmentalised life where I support United in England, Celtic in Scotland, and so on. I don't want to complicate things for myself unduly about who to support when they meet each other in the league. Having conflict in Europe is already bad enough.

Secondly, and less to do with my own selfish interests, I think it's unfair to force Celtic fans to have to travel to grounds in another country just to watch the league fixtures. I think that there's money and exposure to be got in the EPL, but it'll be at the expense of the Scottish soul of the club and its community. I think having the club rooted in the domestic realities of Scottish football is crucial to maintaining its links with its community and the wider network of Scottish sports.

18. port boy

Just wondering how everyone would respond to less success if we played down there? Are we willing to accept a Liverpool scenario were we don't win the league for over 20 years?

19. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    It wouldn't matter there would be a huge influx of a fan who don't know anything about us and don't care as long as they get to see the bestest league in the multivers

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Are you kidding? With the amount of pressure the board are already putting on that side of our identity even though they desperately need our money?!

As soon as they didn't need us anymore (because of the tens of thousands of glory hunters that would fill the stadium and the tens of millions of pounds of SKY money), they'd crush all of that (including the GB) like a bug and we'd be just another club. We'd never be the same again.