1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sky has ruined football

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Patstar67, Sep 1, 2014.

Discuss Sky has ruined football in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Doire_Bhoy

Yes, but the point I was making was about Scottish (and Irish and Norwegian) fans calling the EPL 'the Prem'. It's not the only premier league in the * world.

I have the same attack of Tourette's ("*!") whenever a Scottish, Irish or Norwegian person refers to the second division of English football as 'the Championship', the third tier as 'League One' and the fourth division as 'League Two'. Marketing * that is the basis of 'the Prem' being considered better than every other league.

:54:

2. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Buts that is their names and it's not that big a deal :smiley-laughing002:

There is more than one Serie A, B, C etc and a load of Primera divisións. Not a big deal.

3. Doire_Bhoy

I know. Still rags me to * tho. :54:

4. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Austrians must feel like * every day with their crappy Bundesliga :icon_mrgreen:

[​IMG]

5. Doire_Bhoy

True enough :smiley-laughing002:

6. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    That's fine but I hope you get what I meant. The best way to sort our the lack of competition is not grouping even more team under the problem area but creating a fix which strengthens everyone alse and promotes competition.

If the problem is "Sky has ruined football" then the answer is surely not "well, let's join them then" as it only exacerbates the issue.

We need to protect and strengthen what we have already, not abandon and minimalise it.

I know it's seems an unsolvable problem.

7. Doire_Bhoy

This is completely correct and it baffles me that more people don't grasp this.

8. Dáibhí

I think most people who want us to head south (literally) are simply looking for some more competitive football.

We won't get that in Scotland, unless we do what murph-ie was talking about, and go backwards as a club intentionally.

9. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Is that the case though? We all understand that Scottish football is in the doldrums at the moment but does that necessarily mean it will always be the case? Could what went down also come up? Logic would dictate it's at least possible (and maybe probable?)

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Diedco get promoted next year and stave off admin by some miracle (not outwith the realms of possibility as people have been saying they are on the verge of admin every since they became the tribute act 2 years ago.)

While we recognise them as a new entity, not many outwith scottish football (fans) do. Could the increase levels of intensity that would be in our top league attract a sponsor? Could it attract neutrals who are willing to pay too see the circus show? I'd purport yes.

Is that enough to bridge the gap between us and Barca? Probably not ;) but it might make us a wee bit more competitive and interesting in the short term.

Of course the main fix will need to come from the people who run the game. That will always be the case. It's their baw and they get to do with it what they like. If they don't realise this issues and do nothing to increase competitiveness across the board then what else can we do?

I still wouldn't advocate moving to the EPL regardless for the same reasons. You don't fix a problem by making it bigger.

10. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Or care what other people say about are club then the club itself the premier league will be the end for celtic we will end up like Liverpool with just the fields of athenry and plastic paddys if even that. culture and history trumps any amount of money or respect from fans who hate are team anyways

11. Dáibhí

In short, no.

There's too much money involved in the game now for Scottish football to progress beyond where it is or has been recently.

We're unfortunate in that we're sharing a landmass with the richest league in the world, and most foreign talent will simply ask the question of why shouldn't they just take themselves 4 hours down the motorway to England rather than play in Scotland?

Yeah, but that's like saying that a car crash or two junkies scrapping outside the theatre is going to draw attention away from the theatre itself.

It'll prove mildly amusing in a strange way for a bit, but eventually you forget it and go into the theatre, don't you? Where the real entertainment is.

If we're lucky we could end up back where we were just before Rangers went out of business. The TV companies will throw us three crumbs instead of one, we will find a decent sponsor for the cups and we can continue on as we are.

We're not going to progress though, because we're Scotland. We aren't England, Spain or France.

12. NotTheMessiah

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Agree 100% with this, I don't like the "If we can't be 'em, join 'em" attitude, gets us nowhere in the long run.

It'll take a good few years probably, but once we get competition, we'll actually want to watch the SPL, as opposed to just now where a lot of us just put up with it cause Celtic plays in it.

13. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There's countries of comparable or smaller size, that have higher rated leagues. Its not a good excuse at all.

14. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Correct. It all boils down to the same answers: either join the bloated wrong model or hope the people in charge get enough pressure on them to change the game for the better.

I don't want the former and I'm not sure we'll get the latter.

If I were forced at gunpoint to choose between the two though, I would accept the latter on principle.

Celtic are a Scottish team with Irish roots. When we were founded we were given the remit to be the best we could be in our country and, despite the best efforts from the cheating, conniving establishment we've done that.

If the governing body allow a tiny number of bloated clubs to swan around with all the money and all the European trophies, then we can't do anything about it.

Part of the football supporters lot in life is to have the ups and down. Domestic supremacy is our up, Europe is our down. I hope that we make some inroads in the latter but, when we invariably don't from time to time, we will just need to get on with it.

I don't want to be in a league where a rich Arab could decide next year that any club that takes his fancy will probably win it. Sport? * that.

15. Doire_Bhoy

Then we need to learn from these leagues.

We compare ourselves to the EPL and leagues in countries with far larger supporter (i.e. consumer income) bases.

16. Dáibhí

When I come back to Glasgow I'm thinking about following a junior team or something.

The modern game sickens me.

17. Nasser

You won't get any joy from a junior team with crap football played in parks with zero atmosphere and non entertainment. People that go on about the lower leagues being exciting are lying. If your going to have a break from football then just don't watch or follow any of it.

I have often felt like this and it's worse for the people that grew up in the 70' 80's and even early 90's to see how football is now compared to how it once was. I hate some aspects of modern football but it's too late, it won't go back now to how it once was. The hype of the EPL really annoys me but at the end of the day I would still love to see Celtic playing in a league where they can compete in Europe even if that meant playing in the EPL. We are a giant of club and it annoys the * out of me that tiny no mark English clubs are passing us by because of the money they are getting.

18. Dáibhí

I'll go to Thistle games then :icon_mrgreen:

19. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

But does it? With the financial crisis of 2007–08 you'd have expected the spending of all football clubs to go down as seemingly nothing can operate completely independently of it's own economic environment. Of course that didn't happen.

Clubs have kept the spending up. The Zidane mark has been topped 12 times since 07-08. So it seems it will take something massive to stop the spending.

I used to think it would be a another scandal similar to the phoning hacking bring down BSkyB which would stop the spending but that looks very unlucky now. Not because Murdoch has no more skeletons in his closet but because everyone else now spends that type of money. BT spending £887 million just for Champions League. Plus clubs being well run for the most part, getting themselves great sponsorship deals. Right nothing there is nothing to suggest the bubble will burst.

20. SAXON

Maybe if Celtic were in the EPL and Celtic were part of the hype the you wouldn't see it as hype if you know what I mean.