1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. fluffyhamster

Griff will surprise all the doubters and let's be happy when he does! :celt_2:

2. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    Spot on, it would be good to see him not look like a fish out of water which is the way he always looks against superior opposition.

This isn't just about goals either, it's about his overall game which for me fails him at a higher level than the SPFL.

In his three starts for Scotland against Belgium, Croatia and Denmark he was invisible and out his depth having zero impact on the game.

In his two games in pre season just there against Leicester and Barca he was again invisible and out of his depth with his overall play. Yes he scored against Barca, but this wasn't something he created himself or stuck away a decent chance, it was a defensive blunder which led to it which is a rare occurence the higher the level you play at.

In his games against Ajax x2, Molde x2, Malmo away, Salzburg at home, Inter Milan at home, HBS away. Overall again he was bringing us nothing up front during the game, not just talking goals here but also the main attributes you need as a lone front man.

You could even argue that in games he's scored in like Fenerbache and Astana away his overall game let him down during the 90 mins, he was practically invisible in both those games bar his goals. I don't think it's too much to ask for a player who can take some limited chances in Europe which we create but also have an overall game to match it to cause some defenders trouble at that level. Hooper had it, McDonald had it, Samaras had it. You don't need a superstar striker to have those attributes.

In these games was he holding and linking the ball up well taking the pressure off our side? Was he timing his runs properly and taking the guilt edged chances that came his way? Was his decision making as it should be to bring others into play? Did he hold onto the ball and not give it away often when trying to penetrate? Was he taking the ball past players with his skill and pace? Did he show enough composure on the ball and in front of goal? Did he create many chances for himself or score out of nothing?

For me, he hasn't. His game against HBS was wonderful, but I had my doubts he could be consistent with that performance and I was right to believe so when he put in that display in Israel just there.

People are saying he needs given the chance to prove himself, for me he's had plenty and failed time and again.

Surely you can't tell me it's just pure coincidence that he's played that many games and had no impact on the game whatsoever?

Surely I'm not the only one who consistently has seen this type of performance from him in Europe?

- Constantly offside mistiming his runs

- Practically anonymous/invisible having very little impact on the game

- Poor first touch, Poor link and hold up play, Poor passing, Poor decision making

- Bullied by the opposition defenders

- Snatches at any chances he gets lacking composure in front of goal

- Dreadful in 1v1s situations

Why are people acting like I'm making it all up as if I have some sort of agenda against Griffiths? This is not the case whatsoever I can assure you, I am only saying what I'm seeing in front of me match by match. I have said many times I'm happy to have him domestically, in Europe that's a different story.

3. Deco67

It possible to block wanyama? lol

4. wulliebad

yes

5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've had him on ignore for about a week, * bliss

6. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

:50:

7. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

That's * easy for you to say .:86:
    is your auto-correct set to Swahili?

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Mobile phone caused that but yeh sure be immature about that rather than actually come up with anything intresting to say about griffiths

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Calm down hen.:nonono:

10. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If he scores against Barca, I'll present Match of the Day in my pants. :smiley-laughing002:

11. Big Boss Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure if we lose all our games in this group then the usual Griffiths bashers will be out in force claiming it's his fault somehow, that lack of link-up play and his inability to do a dead ball chip cost us dearly in the 4-0 loss in the Nou Camp.

Go on ye thumb, prove the * wrong.

12. Sydneysider

I hope he does prove a few people wrong, and maybe then we can stop calling him Thumb / Thumb-boy.

Its a very offensive insult more suited to the toe-rags and *-suckers on RM , FF and Twitter.

13. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    :97:

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I still maintain that he's held to a different standard to the rest of our team. The truth is, every single one of our players could look completely inept in the 6 group stages games we've got coming up, not because they're poor players, just because the level is that high.

What I will say about griff is that he will stretch defences with his work rate, he will press them all night home and away, he has the ability to beat any keeper in the world in his left foot from the edge of the box, and he's exceptionally good at finding that yard. If we can support him and create for him, then I believe he'll find the net too.

It won't make a but of difference though, some folk have made their minds up about him not being good enough for us and simply aren't for changing.

15. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    There's players in our squad who I have genuine hope and belief that they can make the step up for us on a CL night and stand up and be counted performing above themselves for that night. Like the way guys like Kelvin Wilson etc used to do. Rise to the occasion.

But for me Griffiths is not one of these players I believe capable of that as well as a number of others.

I hoping De Vries can because it's clear Gordon can't.

I'm also hopeful Bitton, Erik, Toure, Lustig, Commons, Roberts, Tierney, Dembele, Simunovic, Sinclair and Rogic can all step up as well.

I'm still unsure on the likes of Christie, Forrest, Henderson, O'Connell, Izzy, Ajer.

Players I hope to see play little to no part in the Group Stages include Armstrong, GMS, Boyata, Johansen, McGregor, Gordon, Brown, Griffiths, Janko, Ciftci.

We need a new ST and CM added as well as a 2nd choice RB if Ralston won't cut it.

16. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    Griff will step up and do his job in the CL i am sure of. At a certain time I wanted this guy out as the most did, because of his personality on and off the field. But he changed dramatically, improved as a player and keeps on improving. I see him in his best form for us under Brendan and he is going to get better and better under Brendan.

17. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nothing to do with his personality or whatever for me.

I'm curious though, how can you be so confident he can step up for CL level when he couldn't do it at EL level?

18. wulliebad

I have no doubt no matter what...griff will be judged differently and more harshly than the rest of the team by some one here.
    Every time griff goes and proves someone on here wrong we move onto a new fault with his game....we have started at....not good enough for celtic and wont score enough....and now we are at.....cant chip the keeper....if he gets a goal in the groups and matches the legend that is tony watt and his one goal it will be something new the next day.

19. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Brown is one of very few people in the squad at the moment who has proved he can step it up at that level so to not want to see him play his part is baffling, especially considering if you exclude the game on Tuesday he has had a very good season so far.

20. micktal

I come on this forum everyday but I never post but wanyama you're clear hatred for griffiths is laughable and embarrasing for a striker who scored 40 goals last season and is off to a flyer this season to bring him down the way you do is nothing short of cringe worthy you bang on about not being good enough and he's only doing the job what's asked of him scoring 40 plus a season what are you wanting 50 goals even 60 and you would still find a way to be negative have a word with yourself and be thankful we have such a natural goal scorer to lead the line or would you rather a pukki balde or ciftci leading......embarrasing