1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Steven Fletcher

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by verdi-y-blanco, Jan 2, 2014.

Discuss Steven Fletcher in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cmcgregor90

Id rather john guidetti 20 goals or something he has think city are looking for a loan and buy move stoke and another English club only interested cost about 6 million I'd say aswell

2. Mannix

Deary me. To address the first bit above in bold; if you can't see that if we had an out and out goalscoring striker in this years CL campaign would have made no difference, then you can write all the chapters you like and you will still miss the point.

Goals win games. If we had gone ahead in the San Siro or against Barca at home we would have got points from those games, may even had won one of them. In Amsterdam when we went 1 down Ajax began filing back and gave us opportunities to come back at them, again with a goalscoring striker at that level, we probably would have got back into the game. We would have finished 3rd at least if we had signed a striker to replace Hooper - and I mean a striker who puts the ball in the net - last summer. We would definitely have beaten that young inexperienced Ajax side to 3rd place if we could score goals in the CL this season.

The second bolded bit above I agree with. Having a whole rake of strikers that aren't good enough for the CL is pointless. Also signing similar type strikers like Pukki when we already had Stokes is pointless. We did not need to replace Stokes, he stayed, we needed to replace Hooper who left.

As well as that you contradict yourself by saying in the future we should only spend 2 to 3 million on a striker - that's exactly what we have been doing up 'til now. It has been reported that Finnbogason was available for 5 million last summer. If we had spent the 5 million and got him then - which we had available to spend - that may have resolved our issue with lack of goals in the CL this season. Of course he may have suffered loss of form or injury, but at least we would have fully spent our resources on trying our best to equip the team properly with a striker that can score in the CL. Finnbogason is probably out of our reach now , but there must be players out there available at around the 5 to 6 million mark that have a similar profile and development to where Finnbogason was at last summer.

If we want to continue qualifying and playing well in the CL then we need to equip the team - within our means - to operate at that level. Signing a striker - a goalscoring one - in the 5 to 6 million bracket if necessary is within our means. Continuing on exclusively with a policy of 2 million here and 3 million max there on signing strikers is continuing on with doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different outcome - that's the definition of madness.

3. fuctifano1888

Most of what you say is correct.

However no striker comes with a guarantee.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lennon has already said that trying to get top players signed is tough .due to them not committing until we have champions league football.

It is obvious to most people that we need a striker. I think January is a good time to try and get one.

4. wulliebad

For me that's just an excuse we are one of the few clubs in the uk who gets European football nearly every year.
    I think we are just not paying what players want,and that's why we have * projects and * raw * and * who have sat half their time on a bench.
    Those that do come only hang about long enough for other teams to notice them and * off.
    Ok rant over.:icon_mrgreen:

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It's not just an excuse whatsoever, if we're just looking at SPFL football, top players wouldn't want to play here. There have been a good few recent seasons when we haven't got into the Champions League. It is not guarenteed, we scrord in this year.

6. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    the thiing about this is fletcher is a good player and lenny said we can afford 6 mill only problem is getting a player he really wants for 6 mill look at england full of over priced players but if you buy someone from abroad you run more of a risk of failing to settle or adapt etc

7. shaun.f

Went off injured tonite. Was pish.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It's all conjecture, but I very much doubt a striker of Hooper's quality would have made THAT much of a difference.

9. northeast67

For the first time since we were after him all them years ago I think we can get him! But is he another glut who's been overtaking by injuries? * paying 6m on another physio table warmer. You can get some quality players in Europe for that, I'm really hoping for a player with Fletcher's talents but fit asleell as that we need a creative midfielder

10. Mannix

Like I said goals win games and we lacked a Hooper type goalscorer in the CL this season. It would have made all the difference if we had a goalscorer that would have helped to put points on the board in the first two games in the Group.

As regards Fletcher, he has had injury problems that would be a worry. Maybe he's over them. He would be a big signing for us, a statement of intent as regards continuing to qualify for the CL and to do better when we get there. Sunderland appear to be prepared to sell him, but I'd imagine they'd be hoping to get more than 6 million. Might be better value for Celtic elsewhere in Europe if we really are prepared to spend 6 million on a striker, as we should be if we are serious about CL football and are willing to spend our resources on the team.

11. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    I think Hoops scored 2 in 5 CL group games for us last season, and an extra 2 goals could well have made a huge difference to us this year, for example we dominated AC in the San Siro but * up numerous chances due to all our current strikers being *.

It's conjecture yes but we I am pretty sure we would have go 3rd in the group if we had kept Hooper. Hooper is a better striker than Fletcher, that's the level (or above) we need to be aiming at for players.

Fletcher though is far too expensive, and now I think injured as well. Non starter.

12. walkon

this guy wont be coming, well i hope not cause that would be our spending over. i want to see a front man and a play maker that has magic in their feet and give us something to get off our * watching. how about searching the South America leagues, get a couple from there they would be dancing through defences, we need a really fresh approach and bring excitement into our play in the offensive end. we would be on the road then cause the defence is well sorted - strongest and best players are in there. just wish wish we we had the vision to go down that route.

13. walkon

forster
    lustig efe VVD Izzy
    Brown? Biton
    Rogic
    Puki Commons
    magic toes

there you go, that wouldn't be bad

14. walkon

if ledley stays i would rather ledley Biton behind a front four but Browns a stick on, oh haud on so is Mulgrew!!

15. wulliebad

If the latest is true don't want him anywhere near us....:38:

16. scud

care to explain

17. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
  18. Damnati

He spat on the back of a rickshaw driver for a laugh, then posted about it on Twitter. Supposedly.

19. Bangarangura

everyone makes mistakes, hopefully it drives his price down and makes sunderland want to get rid

20. wulliebad

FOOTBALLER Steven Fletcher filmed himself spitting on the back of a rickshaw driver taking him on a night out.

Then, the shameless £12million Sunderland striker proudly posted a picture of the cabbie’s phlegm-covered jacket on Instagram with the message “Al spit on ya back ya c***.” Scottish international Fletcher also filmed the sickening incident on his mobile as the rickshaw took him and a pal through the streets of London.

During the video, which he also posted, Fletcher, 26, can be seen grinning beside his giggling friend.

Footage and images of the vile incident – which drew appreciative comments from several of his followers – were later removed from the player’s account. Black Cats fans will be shocked by the behaviour of their £40,000-a-week striker.

There are around 150 bicycle rickshaw – or pedicab – drivers working in London.

They are mainly foreign students striving to pay for their studies.

In stark contrast to Fletcher’s wealthy lifestyle, many struggle to make enough to cover the expense of running the cab, despite working dangerous night shifts in busy traffic.

Fletcher shares a £650,000 country home in Co Durham with beauty queen partner Rachel Monaghan, 21, and daughter Darcy-Mae.

Fashion-mad Fletcher sparked fury among fans in 2012. He tried to flog his new clothing range to 100,000 Twitter followers just hours after a Scotland defeat made it almost impossible for them to qualify for this summer’s World Cup finals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.