1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic chat opinions?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Sep 25, 2013.

Discuss Celtic chat opinions? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sometimes Celtic Chat is like an American football game.

You have the offence and the defence, depending on the topic at hand. These teams usually consist of the same folk, and there are spells of attacking and defending from both sides.

Sometimes there are people who find it very difficult to praise the team or fans, always looking fo a negative, but likewise there are some who have blind faith in both, and refuse to criticise.

It's what makes forums active though, and the last thing a successful chat forum needs is everyone getting on :icon_mrgreen:

2. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    It`s no different on here in comparison to what you hear at Celtic Park. It`s frustrating to read some of the comments; also frustrating to see a decent discussion turn into a personal crusade for the last word/"I`m right, your wrong".

I don`t mind folk giving a reasoned argument but more often than not, you see comments of "He`s pish" or "get him to f**ck"(check out various player threads).

3. C2911

100% this. Especially those with the "holier than thou" attitude. They know who they are.

This: :97: does my head in at times.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think it's been like this for a while now, to me it's not really the content of the posts though it's the way people don't want to debate a point. They'll say something and you'll question that and give your point of view and what basically comes back is "because I think that" no come and go. No debate.

That is something that I just can't stand on a forum, it's the full reason we're on this in the first place. To share and debate opinions about Celtic Football Club. There are also people who don't try and add anything to the forum, they'll come on and they'll just attack Celtic. In wee short abusive posts and not put in any constructive criticism. Which does get peoples backs up and after a Celtic loss match threads etc. are just a no go area of nonsensical bile directed towards the club.

It's like an argument instead of a debate, even in the old days on here when there was a big rammy over anything (usually rebel songs and the GB) there was a good level of discussion even though it was a heated subject and more often than not ended in the thread closed and bans being dished out.

I've said this before but I think the level of posts have went down as the use of mobile phones and tablets to browse have went up and I'm guilty of that as well, you just don't go into us much detail, the typos are worse and it's just to a high standard of posting.

The forum is used to vent after a loss, that's to be suspected I suppose but I think in general people need to stop being so hostile and actually debate peoples points. You and I have been referred to as a "gang" before on here (with various other members throughout our time here apparently) but I don't think anyone has ever had as long running arguments as us over Ki and Aiden McGeady... (I'm still right bawbag :icon_mrgreen:) but that's the way it should be done on the forum. Try and take others opinions in and make your point back.

I said to him last night but Random Review on here is a model of how it's supposed to be done. Takes points on board and puts his points forward in a coherent well articulated manner.

5. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Same issue on all celtic forums. Lots of forums have went down hill from when i first posting in various places from 2006.

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I'd be quite interested to read who people are referring to as 'cliques' or 'gangs'. I can't say I've noticed.

7. MacEoghainn

Well, Devlin ... either that, or they'll just simply come back (and, truth be told, I've been guilty of probably doing it a few times, too), and "say": :97: ... which is basically calling you/me/whomever (whoever? I dunno) a dummy ... and I hate that.

Take a look at the discourse in politics, no matter the country, to know we're pretty much *.

8. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    see if everyone agreed with me there'd be no problem.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye or this one ":bbpd:" - which instantly makes me want to slap people. It's just such a smug wee smiley.

I think the people who do that, ignore it. Debate with others who are taking the post as it's meant to be. Too many people feed the trolls and the threads go to * - which I'm guilty of as well I might add - I think if we all made an effort then it would get back to where the level of talk on here goes back up to a higher standard instead of reading like a TalkSport script.

10. Buster

Two wee stories about differing opinions from the rest not being a new thing......

2003 EUFA semi drawing 1-1 at home to Boavista (first time in Europe after Christmas for 23 years) and Lenny passes back to Douglas from the half way line and the crowd (including my son) boo him.......l mind we used to get pumped out in the first round against * whom you couldn't even pronounce their name.

Came out a league cup game in the mid 80's (we won 7-0 against Brechin) and my dad was moaning about this player and that player and that he wouldn't be wasting anymore money until there were changes until l reminded him that we had got in for nothing as my pal was a steward.

Thank * there were no match threads on TC in the early 90's.

11. TimFloyd Gold Member

I don't really post much in Celtic chat and some days I just flat out ignore it as it seems to be a hotbed of nonsense :smiley-laughing002:

Some of the * that gets spouted it's hard to filter through all that * to find out if it's serious :smiley-laughing002:

However there is some really good Celtic chat posters who's posts I enjoy reading :50:

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You know I've had that thought before, how different would it be? There was a togetherness amongst the fans and a look of hope towards the future back then. When Celts for Change happened and Tommy came in there was a unity about the Celtic support that didn't fade until Gordon Strachan came in (rightly or wrongly). Always wondered if the effects of the internet would have changed that.

Hypothetical, that we will never know but interesting all the same.

13. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    People over-rate our players constantly on here. They receive praise when they deserve it also.

14. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    In other parts of the forum, you get some cracking discussion and comments. The Celtic Chat seems to bring out the worst in folk.

Anyway,I`m off to contribute to the "Have you ever shat in your Y`s on a nightout" Thread!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002:

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    There will always be massive swings in opinions as you get all different types of personalities.

Like last night games, there will be laid back people who brush it off as a fluke result, depressive people who will look at it as confirming that the players are *, angry people who went out raging calling Lennon and the players every name under the sun, sad people who went into their shells and felt like greetin, total fruitcakes who wanted to assault * and argue with people and everything in between. All types are on here.

That kind of person too the smug, like to be proved right kind who take delight in their team winning or losing as long as they predicted whatever outcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  16. TimFloyd Gold Member

Also it doesn't help that some people on here are just *.

:smiley-laughing002:

17. Murph-E

Too much of people trying to force their opinion as fact. The 'best manager of last 20 years' thread being a great example. Posters jumping all over people for saying that, in their opinion, Gordon Strachan did a better job than Martin O'Neill. I actually agree with the opinion that O'Neill did a better job than Strachan, but the way some people became so incredulous and incapable of letting it go was annoying to read.

18. Doire_Bhoy

I'm more of a TC Pub man tbh.

19. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I am generally a slightly negative poster when it comes to the board but thats for another thread.

When it comes to Celtic, the manager and team performances i will criticise when we play * and i will applaud when we play well. What i don't like is posters being looked down upon because they have the audacity to disagree with someone who has a bit of seniority over them.

There is certainly a band of brothers, won't mention any names, who from time to time pick on other posters and what they say. That along with some ridiculous * that gets posted both from ultra negative posters and ultra positive ones actually makes Celtic match threads great. If i watch a match ill come on here and read the reaction, its great to see the different opinions being held.

I want to see if someone agrees with me, my take on the game or if someone has the opposite opinion, what can start out as a good debate often devolves into a slagging match by the end of it.

20. pod

What do you mean by that mate?