1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon's Comments About Negativity

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Aug 29, 2013.

Discuss Neil Lennon's Comments About Negativity in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I had sympathy with what he said even on here too many people * about this player and that mentioned in the papers how if we don't get them its the boards too tight or if they don't come fro a club or league they thinks great then the players written off even if hes a bit of an unknown quantity. People are entitled to their opinion but people have to be realistic in their expectations as we all want the best players at celtic but like it or not money is always an issue and the problem for now is teams know we have banked money so the price goes up

2. MacEoghainn

*Anyone*, regardless what they do, no matter how much they get paid, who truly cares (maybe not loves, but ... ) their job, can empathize with that. I know what that means. I know how that feels.

That's why I think Lennon is gonna wait a few seasons, pound Sevco the first season they are in the SPFL ... and then call it a day at Paradise, for a much, much deserved sabbatical from the game.

I can respect that.

3. eiregobrach

Some of the support has been negative but with some reason. The celtic support are extremely passionate and care deeply for the club. Frustration is understandable when we make a fairly unconvincing start to the league and when qualification hangs in the balance due to a poor result against a kazak outfit. Delighted to see the drive urgency and penetration at the beginning of both halfs lastnight and the drama at the end. If we can bring some of the action drama passion and attacking intent to ohr domestic games im sure the crowds will come flocking back.

4. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    I think NL was * because he never got the help from the men in suits up stairs, that made his job hard, real hard... He needed a bit of support and they never helped him. NL got us to the champ lge despite the board imo. They must help him now, they have till 11pm saturday night to deliver the goods.

5. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    There's two way of looking at this.

Lennon was right to slam the board for not backing him properly after the money he and his players brought to the club.

On the other hand, WE were expected to beat everyone we have with what we have!

The latter doesn't make any sense to me and in the end we scraped though rather than convincingly. Also, when we do bring in new player now, they'll take some time to settle!

6. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think it's fairly obvious that Lennon has cultivated a siege mentality in the squad, an us against them approach, and he's done it well. He did mention the board indirectly in his comments but I thought that the lion's share of the criticism was directed at the media with a little bit of frustration toward the supporters for a tendency to turn on a player or two. It's a completely valid frustration. If you don't understand which aspect of the supporters' actions is frustrating him then you're probably part of the problem.

7. Maestro 08

Personally I think Lennon reveals such sentiments when it suits. If we had been knocked out by such a poor team would the 'negativity' be justified? I think so and his comments would never have been uttered. I recently recall extremely poor performances in domestic cup competitons (st mirren etc) where we have suffered shock exists with shocking performances to boot and these negativity comments never surfaced. Whilst for all the negativity Lennon sees would it not be better if his tactics were a little less negative, for instance would it not be refreshing to see him deploy the same incessant attacking philosophy against our Premiership opponents as he did against Shakter? I'm sure our squad has enough about them to steam roll most of the competition if we attacked them from the off instead of persevering with an overly cautious approach which has invited a lot of extremely average teams onto us and invariably exploited the weakest aspect of our team, the defence. Bringing back the thunder? Occasionally.

8. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    In response to your first part, his point was that they weren't knocked out yet. People here were saying we had "no chance" and things like that. That was the fans, the media were worse. So, obviously, if we had been knocked out then he wouldn't be arguing; but since people were already assuming things it made for a bad atmosphere during the week and didn't help at all. You're basically saying "well none of the statements were justified, but they could have been!" And he's also talking about the utter fickleness and disdain that we show toward players who happen to be off form.

And there's no way we can sustain matches of that energy level 50-odd times.