1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping Giant Football Nations

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Armagh-Bhoy, Aug 15, 2013.

Discuss Sleeping Giant Football Nations in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Armagh-Bhoy

The top has to be China, population of 1.3billion, soccer is the most popular sport as well.

Others : Japan, USA, Mexico,

India as well with their population size but dont know how popular soccer is there.

2. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Nigeria 177m
    Ethopia 86m
    Egypt 84m

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    USA not just because of the population but the money they sink into sports over there and 'soccer' is a growing trend over there.

4. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Japan and Russia I predict will be football powerhouses in 10-15 years because of how much focus they've started to put on football development.

Even over the past few years you can see improvements in them. I mean Russia were utterly dominating their group until the O6 shocked them yesterday, have tremendously technically gifted players and with their league and youth development always improving they'll only get better and better.

As for the Japanese, you can also see with players like Honda, Endo and Kagawa they're also starting to produce technically gifted top quality players, and the thing with the Japanese is, once they put their mind to something they seem to be able to become experts at it. Over the past 10-15 years they've had a rapid growth in the quality and level of football over there. Even in the confederations cup they played some sensational stuff, even tika taka football against Italy to the level you'd expect from Spain.

5. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Mexico, population: 113 million.

Soccer is there number 1 sport and they have had some class players but I still think they can achieve much, much more.

6. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't class Mexico as a 'sleeping giant', more under-performing. Mexico has always been football mad. The two other most popular sports, Baseball and Boxing don't really come close.

I always felt that they found themselves in an unfortunate part of the world. A football mad country surrounded by countries that traditionally played other sports. It would be good I feel if the Copa America became the Copa Americas, to give Mexico (and now the USA) some meaningful competition. Mexico almost always get an invite to take part, but I think something more permanent involving the CONCACAF members needs to be drawn up. With the US holding the Copa América (Centenario no less) I think that prospect is not to far away.

In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan the only sport that matters is Cricket. David Beckham has nothing on the Little Master Sachin Tendulkar in India.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Dallas Cowbhoys

You need an interest in the game, a big population and the right infrastructure in terms of coaches, facilities and that.

So I'd say Japan is one, possibly Mexico although I'm not sure the third criteria applies to them.

Tbh, England could even be classed as one, they just need to sort out the coaching and pick players based on how good they are, not who they play for.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You'd be as well listing largest nations in the world and picking out all of them that are * at football :56:

China are 'a sleeping giant' at everything by that logic.

9. Armagh-Bhoy

Not really, Soccer is the most popular sport in China, unlike India, Canada as well possibly.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Ping Pong.

11. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Not really, they excel in alot of sports. Namely, gymnastics and swimming. Therefore hardly 'sleeping'.

Its funny because there is evidence to suggest that China invented what we call 'football'.

12. Armagh-Bhoy

Oh * i forgot about that, still says that Soccer is the biggest sport, although that could be a close second.

13. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Japan have been getting better and better since hosting the World Cup in 2002. They'll be a major force soon imo.

Egypt had massive success in the AFCON in the past 10 years but that's never transcended to a World Cup strangely

14. mike91

I thought basketball was the most popular sport in China, I know they are crazy about the NBA.

15. Armagh-Bhoy

Amazing they didnt even qualify for the world cup 2010 after winning the African cup 3 in a row.

16. Armagh-Bhoy

According to Wiki, Football is the most popular sport, but with a population of 1.3billion you could have massive support for a range of sports.

17. SpellCheck92

As much as it pains me to say England have to really high up on that list. I was going to say France as they will be looking to get to the level they were 10 to 15 years ago. Much stronger team than England ATM.

18. SpellCheck92

It is strange naming big nations who aren't good at football as ''sleeping giants''

Some countries are simply not cut out to be football nations. Look at the size of countries like Belgium and Croatia. They would run all over the top of the USA/China. These countries have the infrastructure and the coaching to be major forces.

19. murphy88

The population argument goes right out the window in my opinion. Look at Uruguay. In 2011 there population was less than 3.5million. That was 133rd out of the World, yet not long after they were ranked 3rd for football.

20. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Exactly. However these countries pick players based on ability. Others (like the British nations) just see a tall boy and go 'right, sign him up'. Theres a good few on this site who seem to believe a tall squad = a good squad.

Nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013