1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stokesy is capable of replacing Hooper

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by PrinzeD, Jun 16, 2013.

Discuss Stokesy is capable of replacing Hooper in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PrinzeD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don't know if this gonna go down well but I genuinely think that given a run in the team as main striker Anthony Stokes can be at Hooper's level. I know there is problems with his attitude and fitness recently but on the back of his performance in the Cup Final it looked like the Stokes that got everyone talking at Hibs, so hopefully his contract is sorted and he stays out of trouble and he blasts us to 3 in a row and back into the Trap's Ireland plans!

Stokesy in top form for Hibs
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQR_dd7vCI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Anthony Stokes - His Season So Far - YouTube[/ame]
    Stokesy saves Celtic and Lenny against Kilmarnock
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TznCbdRQxYg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Kilmarnock 3 Celtic 3 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Totally different types of striker for me still need to replace Hooper if he goes,but defo want to keep Stokes he showed in the cup final his influence when he's in the mood

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Good player stokesy but hooper better all rounder for me and would need replacing..

4. C2911

If we want a run in Europe again Stokes won't cut it.

5. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    It's not like Hooper set the world aflame in the CL. He Scored against Helsingborg(1), Spartak (2), and Helsinki (1). Those were the 3 weakest teams we played. He didn't get anything against Juve, Barca, or even Benfica

6. ArmchairGeorge Gold Member Gold Member

can someone explain the whole players who will and wont cut it in Europe,

because from the stories of players we have been linked too, any Scottish or Irish player wont make it, but if we buy forgein players they will..
    English players fall in to the forgein catagory, not sure why people thought Hooper was our striking option in europe when it was always Samaras, a 5ft 8 odd poacher in a 4-5-1 as our striking choice? it was never going to work

7. Matt_20

He didn't play in the home games against Benfica or Barca. He's also scored against Braga and Udinese for us in Europe. In tight games he is a far better striker who is clinical with the few chances he gets.

Fact remains that Hooper is a much better player, that's why we're looking for over £6million for him whilst Stokes has been allowed to almost run down his contract with no interest from other clubs. Stokes will be able to step up domestically, sure, but we should be building a European level team and Stokes isn't at that level.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  8. Markybhoy

I disagree. Stokes is not as good a player as Hooper.

9. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Total bull about stokesy he played v.well in the Europa the season before last and was injured last campaign. Stokes and Balde could be a v.good partnership domestically with Sammi up front in Europe. Throw young Watt in the mix and I dont think we need to replace Hooper with anyone significant just another squad player required

10. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Regarding us needing to replace Hooper: Why don't we wait and see what the new Bobo is like? He could start off excellent and bring Stokes into play more, therefore score more goals. We also have a couple of younger players who we can rely on if there's injuries/rests needed too. We've already won next year's league so I wouldn't rush to put us in any financial struggles... I know it may sound stupid, with Europe but it's just my opinion.

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think we might be going one up front a lot more next season. So Lenny I think will be hoping that Balde can lead the line on his own with 3 supporting him from Commons, Sammy, Stokes, Watt, Forrest, and Rogic (unless Lenny wants to turn him into a CM)

So I don't think it's a case of replacing Hooper, rather that we might see a different approach next season.

IMO anyway.

edit.

If he goes that is. :smiley-laughing002:

12. SpellCheck92

Spot on :50:

Stokes has great technique which would be useful in Europe. Look at the balls he swung in for Hooper in the cup final. Imagine him making deliveries like that to Samaras/Balde in Europe. That is a serious weapon. Stokes is a good player who we need to get tied up on a new contract ASAP.

13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    How do you reach that conclusion? He did well in the Europa League and hasn't yet played in the CL. So to say that he 'won't cut it' is, at best, ill-informed and short-sighted.

14. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Irritating that

15. Sebelon

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I agree. If given game time, I have no doubt he would become our top scorer, with 20-30 goals a season. I think Hooper is a great striker, but I have always seen Stokes to be the more talented footballer, that needs game time to flourish.

16. Markybhoy

Stokes can look a more talented footballer than Hooper in the SPL when he's not confronted with top class defenders who are capable of marking him tightly and denying him the time and space to get his head up and play. If he gets time on the ball then he can do things with it that Gary Hooper can't.

Finding space and getting time on the ball in the Champions League is easier said than done though.

Gary Hooper is faster than Stokes, he's stronger on the ball than Stokes, his movement is sharper and cleverer than Stokes and he's a more instinctive finisher than Stokes. These are the qualities that we need our forwards to have when we play in Europe and they are the reasons why I don't believe Stokes would be as effective a player as Hooper at Champions League level.

Given how many times Stokes gets dropped for big matches I'd say our manager sees things in a similar way.

17. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I believe Hooper is good enough to go on and play for a top 6 club in the premiership, I'm a massive stokes fan but I don't think he'll ever be good enough for that level.

18. Lecs

He hasn't had a chance in the Champions League yet, I wouldn't write him off. Looking forward to seeing him next season.

19. SpellCheck92

We need to qualify for the CL first and he has to sign a new contract. Both big ifs.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Completely different players with different skillsets.

Hooper is the better poacher and has better game intelligence but Stokes has better vision and also a wee bit of maverick about him.