1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Maybe the competition in midfield is giving him a boot up the * he needs. When he firfst came I thought he could have been a great player, had a few cracking games. But he has went to * na maybe, jsut maybe Lennon can provide him with the motivation needed to be a better player, not to mention that there are 4 very good CM in the team.
    Now I have criticiesed Brown often so far this season but if he actually gets his finger out he might become useful

2. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    The apparent thing here is guys like me, who simply don't rate him, will come out and admit when he has a good game like last night, it's not a witch hunt as people seem to think.

Unfortunately performances like last nights from Brown have been far too scarce.

It looks like he may be able to carve out a role in Lennys side as a defensive spoiler, but that's not what we were promised when this guy arrived.

3. shughie

What does Brown really offer to Celtic in a game of any consistant good value, yes he was better than he normally is, lets take the second half against Ultrecht it looked to me they were content to keep the score at 2-0, and take their chances at home, Celtic looked like there was no great urgency, desire, or initiative, to add to the 2 goals, except possibly from young Forrest.
    My point is what does Brown do during a second half like that, I would suggest virtually fuckall.
    Lennon will rue the day he made the imposter a captain and as I see it be obliged to put his name down first on the team sheet! :87:

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    There are players in the squad i personally don't rate and brown is one of them, it's a matter of opinion and lenny's is the one that count's, as long as we keep winning football matches that is the important thing.....................:50:

5. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    i agree mate if we play a midfield 3 like last night i just cant see how lenny can fit him in before ledley,juarez and kayal.it will be shocking if 1 of these 3 are left out for him

6. gunt

One thing that Broony has never been and should never have been used as was the anchor/continuity player or a playmaker who dictates the shape, rhythm etc. Unfortunately he has often been played liked that but hat was never his game. His game was as an off-the-leash box to box player who has an anchor/continutiy/sitter/playmaker behind him. He is far better when he has somone else doing the anchor role behind him. Kayal really looks like that sort of player. Now people are going on about Juarez a lot and he is exciting but I am not convinced a 2 man CM with just one guy and Juatez would work or at least that formation would seriously clip his wings. I have never seen a CM who is in attack so much as Juarez and there is no question that would be a problem for the other CM (bearing in mind we also play with wingers). I really like the 4-5-1 turning into a 4-3-3 formation we are using but I think we are only playing it because hooper is out. I expect some sort of return to 2 strikers then.

7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I have refused to jump on the "Samaras is *" bandwagon. When it comes to Broon though that is a different story, he really * me off. He played well last night but he'll need to do that for the next ten games at least to convince me that he deserves a place in the Celtic team.

8. gunt

I see no problem because one of the four will probably alway be unavailable in about half of the games across a season. Different games different combos. Ledley looks classy but he is not very strong defensively IMO. Juarez game seems to involve him being AWOL in attack a lot. So, I would feel in especially tough games Ledley and Juarez making up two thirds of the CM may not be a great idea. Certainly they could never be a CM pair in a 4-4-2. There is just not enough defensive aspects. I suspect when Hooper returns we will revert to a 4-4-2 with 2 strikers. One of the 4 would have to play wide if that happens and even then that only accommodates 3 of them. I do not want to have a MF made of four CMs. That would involve no real width.

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Brown really did well, bursting out from the defensive block, attacking the players with the ball. Gave them no thinking time, coupled with the forwards' pressure, he killed Utrecht's creativity and movement.

10. doctor venglos

Anyone else think Kayal is bringing out the best in Brown ?

The last two games Brown has been very impressive, playing with controlled aggression, closing down players, and harrying opposing forwards.
    Much more like his Hib's days, when he was the best midfielder in the country.

Brown + Kayal seem to go together like Fish and Chips.

11. stoogie 02

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    Felt sorry for both Brown & Samaras, IMO both have been unfairly treated by certain so called fans.

Brown was at his best for Hibs when Thompson was beside him, he hasn't had a similar partner since he came to Celtic, hopefully Kayal seems to fit that bill, & as such could bring out the best in Brown.

I think that Brown has also carried the weight of the teams performances too much, with the squad we now seem to have, maybe some of that weight has been lifted & is allowing Scott to concentrate more on his football.

So far, he has yet to totally show his full potential, but I hope that with Lenny's shrewd transfer business this summer, this season may yet be Brown's best in the Hoops.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Still don't think he is this teams captain but you can't deny that his last 2 games he has put in the performances we have been told he's capable of.

He even had a shot on target at 1 point today then gave a wry smile when the keeper saved it, he must know himself he should be in those positions far more often.

13. P R D

Who was that wee baldy guy in Brown's shirt today? He looked a decent player :86:

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

i dont get why folk say this, if they werent fans they wouldnt care enough to criticize :rolleyes:

btw, im not one of the folk who hae been critisizing, it was just an observation

15. OverandOver

He has improved dramatically I must admit, Ledley will have a tough time getting in that midfield now, especially since Lennon seems to be impressed with Brown even in the games when he's hopeless:56:

16. SuperNick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson / McStay / Pierre Van Hooijdonk / Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Coming home
    Would like to see Brown get forward more

17. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Im usually a big critic of Brown but he's playing like he has to keep his place. Keep it up Broony

18. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    I think it could be instructions from Lennon to sit back and let kayal go forward as it's clear to see kayal passing and vision is way better than browns

19. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    thought he was very good today. he seems to thrive when the players around him are playing better. maybe now that the attention isnt on him/half on him with mcgeady, he feels like there is less pressure on him to perform and thats allowing him to play like we all know he can.

20. shughie

I have gave him the title of an imposter, and with all due respect I hope he can play well Thursday against a tough team Ultrecht because I expect them to be up for this game.
    With a few other good Celtic candidates in the St Mirren game, I give Scott Brown MOTM, his work rate and heads up performance was first class!
    Credit where its due! :50: