1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

UCL Last 16: Celtic v Juventus Chat

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Overkill187, Dec 20, 2012.

Discuss UCL Last 16: Celtic v Juventus Chat in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MonTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Earned a lot of respect back for Juve after tonight, the fans were incredibly respectful of us, their manager made good comments about us and I wasn't overly in favour of the way they went about their football at first, but now I've kind of came to level terms with it.

The class and composure they can show in front of goal is unreal, I mean no way did we deserve 5-0 in aggragate but they were so ruthless and you have to respect them for that, they are a world class team.

After the first leg I didn't get all the hype, I thought they looked awful, but now I realise how composed and orginised they are and I honestly wish them all the best in the rest of the competition. Will still struggle to get over all the manhandling * at Celtic park right enough but other than that fair play to them.

Still want Real to win it though, that would be some final. Most of you probably won't agree with this post or maybe some will see where I'm coming from, either way the Bhoys made me proud regardless tonight. Been some journey, thanks for the memories Neil.

2. Buendia

@random review re. Mulgrew - fair enough, it makes sense that you'd want him on the pitch if his delivery is good. I don't know if it's a fair comparison, but he reminds me quite a lot of Miguel Veloso (the ex Sporting Lisbon and Genoa player). Good technique and a very good left foot, but slightly slow and ponderous on the ball.

3. kevski82

Immensely proud of our CL run this year. I'll never forget barca at parkhead. Goosebumps just typing this to be honest.

Look forward to another adventure next year. Bring it!

4. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    Hard to watch that 180 mins and not be bitter about our luck.

Ambrose gifting them two goals, Ambrose missing good header opportunities (one in each leg), Forster spilling the first goal, Forster not coming up with any big saves.. like he'd bailed us so many times before, Hooper not getting on the end of Sammy's ball in front of goal, Hooper's redirection of Commons? shot more or less going right at Buffon.

It was unreal. Not suggesting we should've won obviously, but the rub of the green has its say, and it all went Juve's way. More disgusted at the scoreline than anything else.

5. Celtic_Mel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Anyone here at the game last night?

We got to the gate 2.5 hours early and joined the queues. Italian police and Juve only opened two tiny turnstiles.

In the pouring rain everyone stood patiently waiting until kick off approached. Then everyone started to get agitated. People were pushing from the back which meamt fans at the front were being crushed.

Really dont know how someone wasnt killed. We then got through the turnstile and the game was already 10mins underway. They wanted us to go through yet another turnstile to scan the tickets. Guys were then walking out so fed up. Riot police appeared and one of them struck out three times at the Celtic fans with his baton. Was horrible to watch.

Eventually we got in 22mins into the game. Ridiculous as we were there in plenty time.

Juve could not organise anything. In the stadium the toilets were all flooded so the men had to share toilets with the women.

Anyway the game was good and the Juve fans loved us. They were all begging for our scarves and tops over the glass. Nice to know we are so appreciated. Really makes you proud.

6. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  7. Higgie

Initial leg * our chances altogether and we deserved a lot more that night.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Only 18 weeks until the rollercoaster starts again. :celt_2:

9. northeast67

The experience was good, but the thought that the interview with Lennon offer the game downsized our club, where wilcons seemed to agree but Jamie rednapp turned it round and said nono this club is massive fan base dept free, all that's wrong is where we are based,. We need larger investment and proper star players, Scotland had lots of great points to it pay a higher wage we could attract greater players pay them good wages and rest them lots over the year playing young players in the spl. Who wouldn't accept lots of rest good wages and living in luxury in our beautifull Scotland. The Yanks Turks French Russians Chinese leagues are all limited like the spl. But they attract players,. The only risk would be not to qualify for C. league, the board spend the cash we should overturn the lesser teams every year. We can't accept players just leave because pish teams down south, it it was top 6 teams fine but come on board help us out here. Sorry I just felt horrible when they spoke of our club as a totsy we thing who are lucky grace the field with these teams. We were missing a good striker that's about it. Money money money that's all were missing.:celt_2:

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You want to buy star players, pay them top dollar then not play them? :smiley-laughing002:

Can't see that one taking off mate.

11. Joebhoy

have u not seen the demise of the oldco:rip_1::rip_1::rip_1:

12. Roskopicachu

Charlie Mulgrew had a good game i thought, he played two positions and you can't really complain about how he kept posession and helped the flow as we switched the ball from wing to wing.

However, when Forrest came on and settled into the game you could see how to get more joy against Juve through the middle. For me, he is the Morvcik markII player that we have been saying for ages we need to sign. We already have a Moravcik, just not yet really deployed in the same way, last night he was.

Sure he can play out wide fantastically well, but when he moves between out wide and the central area, passes and probes around the edge of the box and not panicking in tight little areas, he showed he can do well there.

I thought Asamoah would take the ball off him, but he didn't know what to do with him.

This is why we lost, nobody was able to run at their back three. When it happened we got the odd chance here and there.

It's a learning curve for us, tactically i think Lenny and the backroom guys almost got it spot on.

It was an amazing run, we made a lot of money, a lot of friends and we'll be back next year for more of the same.

We can keep possession, but at some point players need to go for it straight through the middle, that's the next phase and we have the rest of the season to sit back and enjoy, although i can't help feeling we missed a chance here to go further.

But Juve will do well against any of the teams left in the Champions' League, who knows, maybe even win it. On paper you'd expect the German teams to power through them, they can beat Milan, beat PSG but Barca would be an interesting game.

That's the one i really wanna see, Juve vs Barca.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Good post. Regarding the part in bold, you may be right. For all our possession and passing I thought Juve looked far more comfortable last night than they did in the home leg. At times they looked a bit rattled at CP and you could see they were giving 120%; whereas last night they looked far more comfortable until Forrest came on (looked like they were only playing at 90% and had an extra gear if needed to be honest). Forrest certainly caused them problems, though. Not sure he has the passing ability or that magic "spark of genius" that Lubo had, but certainly worth trying.

Personally I want to see a Barca v Dortmund final, but yes, Juve can win it.

I more or less agree with this post, except the part I put in bold. You must be crazy about that bit, it didn't go straight at him at all. It was an absolute wonder save from possibly the best keeper in the world (and great goalkeeping is not luck or you might as well say we were "lucky" that Forster made such great saves against Barca). Regarding luck, I think we were indeed extremely unlucky to be on the end of a 5-0 aggregate scoreline that makes us look outclassed, but on the whole Juve deserved to go through (same as you).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  14. Woody

To be fair I used to think Jamie Rednapp was a * but him and Neville have both fought our corner on that piece of * channel which is SKY.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Does anyone have a download for the post match coverage on sky?

16. Markybhoy

I can't believe we've gone out in the last 16 to a second rate Italian team. We should be winning this competition. Lennon out!

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I hate being proved right, but I said it was a mistake and this would happen when we sacked Mowbray. :31:

18. bogsidebhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper, Izzy, Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
  19. KevMan

If we make it to the group stages next season I bet we get Juventus :smiley-laughing002:

20. Shane1888

We'll * hammer them next time... if Buffon has retired by then :smiley-laughing002: