1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tommy Burns

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Sep 21, 2012.

Discuss Tommy Burns in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Met Lion1961 before the game on Wednesday and brought up this story, which I hadn't thought about for a good while and it got me thinking, after Tommy sadly passed away literally thousands of similar stories came out. Does anyone else have any other ones?

I lived in Australia from the age of 1 to 8; shortly before we came back my Mum had a holiday in Scotland to visit the family; we thought that'd possibly the last time in a long while anyone would see the Scottish side to the family as we were planning on staying permanently.

So my Mum and my Auntie are going to take a tour of Celtic Park; as they were approaching the stadium Tommy Burns strolls out the door; they went over to get his autograph (as you do) they got talking away and my Mum explained that this would be the last time she seen Scotland in a long time due to Australia. Tommy said to them tell you what I'll be back in 10-15 minutes, can you wait for me? Tommy entered back into the stadium and my Mum and Auntie waited.

Surely enough Tommy came back; he'd went inside and instructed the staff to tell the players they'd be training at Parkhead instead of Barrowfield that day. Took them a personal tour of Celtic Park and then sat them down in the dugout to watch the training session of the players.

I grew up thinking this must have been somewhat of a one off; however the amount of stories of a similar nature that came out afterwards is astonishing. He had time for every single Celtic fan, a truly great man.

So, anyone got any Tommy stories?

Possibly my all time Celtic hero and I never seen him play a single game.

A true Legend :shamrock:

2. MarcyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke "Ghod" Larsson!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll be jump out yer windows when we win....
    Someone should collect all these stories and publish them, proceeds to charity and a great way to immortalise a sure Celtic man

3. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    He was a great man.

Properly befitting of the word 'legend'

RIP Tommy :shamrock:

4. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    This one wee story has done the rounds many a time but it personifies Tommy's sense of humour also which many never got to see.

Everyone knows that Tommy was part of Walter Smith's Scotland management team while being a coach at Celtic at the same time. When Walter and r Sally left their Scotland jobs to go back to Ibrox it left Tommy in limbo and a few of the players at Celtic had been asking Tommy what was happening with Scotland, and if he was going for the Scotland manager's job.

So one day at training Tommy announced that he wanted a meeting with all the Celtic players after training. This was highly unusual and had all the players wondering what was so important and they feared the worst. Training was over and when they got back to the dressing room there was nobody around, just a suitcase sitting in the middle of the floor.

After being left there sat for a while wondering what this suitcase was all about, Tommy walked in to the room. He said something along the lines of, "I've got you all together guys 'cause I have something important to tell you. As you all know, I was part of Walter's management team for Scotland and now Walter and Ally have gone back to Ibrox. Well, Walter has asked me to go with him and be part of his staff at Ibrox and I've accepted the job. The players just sat there in complete silence and didn't know what to say.

So Tommy said goodbye to the players and told them it had been a privilege to work with them then he picked up the suitcase that was sitting on the floor and walked out the door.

He then stood outside the door listening to them for a few minutes before popping his head back in the door and saying 'Only kidding Bhoys".

Aidan O’Shea and LloydsGamble like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    :56::56:

I love that one, absolutely brilliant sense of humour. Shows the camaraderie he had amongst the players as well.

6. Higgie

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRiAQNz1E4g"]Tommy Burns Celtic Man - YouTube[/ame]

:celt_2::shamrock:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  7. kingdom kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama the noo.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jumping oot their windaes when we win.
    Not a Tommy Burns story really,I was at the Sandmyle(fullarton park)was my grandas funeral lunch thing,must have been 1979.Anyways ,my da noticed George Mccluskey,Johnny Doyle and Tommy Burns over in the far corner having their lunch,they weren`t there for the funeral thing.

I was wonderstruck to have three of my boyhood heroes there at my grandas going away do,I remember my da spoke to them but i was too shy at the time ,i just stood there like a spare one gawping at them.If i could now i`d give each one of them a big hug.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Met him when he unveiled the newly-painted mural in Bar 67.

Extremely pleasant and was more than happy to get his photo taken with with just about everyone there.

9. TheWayneEvent

GBTB. Never far from my thoughts. Complete idol.

10. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Great guy.

Love the Ibrox job story :smiley-laughing002:

11. Petauk74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present- Broony. Of all time tommy burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    tommy was always my idol. Met him in my school one day and he joked about how thick and wiry my hair was then. Then went "Only Kidding, Look at me am a ginger!!!" Made me feel so special and got his autograph, was one of a kind!

12. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He was one of the first Celtic memories I can remember from being a kid. Always came across as a right nice guy even back then there was a warmth about him. As you grow (my age group) up you realise it wasn't just your age that made you think that, he really was a brilliant guy. The stories you hear about him confirm that. Dev's one at the top is a cracker :50:

13. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Not really a story like the other guys, but I remember going to one of the last games at Kilbowie Park when I was about 10. Clydebank Legends Vs Dukla Pumpherston.

I ran onto the pitch at the end and got Tommy's and Davie Cooper's autographs on a church bulletin from my local parish.

I've always meant to have a root around in my old stuff at my mum's house to see if I still have it.

14. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    You never hear a bad word about Tommy Burns. I would have loved to have met the guy.

15. The Maestro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley
    Day of the Celtic Man utd Nakamura 1 nil victory game me and my mate decided to do the tour early on in the day.
    There was abot 10 people on the tour , a couple from Austrailia and a few Irish, anyway as we were waiting in the cold * rain on our tour guide I noticed a car pull up and out got Maloney,Mcgeady and Strachan, as they aproached I honestly expected them to at least say hello, I walked over and said to them good luck for tonight lads, they never broke stride and just kind of nodded, in fairness I think Maloney said thanks.
    This really * me off as I thought at least Strachan might have had a couple of words with us,about two minutes later another car pulled up and Tommy Burns gets out, he walks over to us and says "You all here for the tour, hope you enjoy it", he asked if we were coming to the game, he then commented on how cold it was and how he hoped the Bhoys would do us proud, he probably spoke for about 30 seconds but it's all it took, my mate turns to me and says thats the difference.

16. odonno

didn't see this thread was here....... I mind when i was about 16/17 walking to my mates house in Mount Florida wearing a celtic top n from across the road i heard a guy shouting "whens the game on???" when i looked and seen it was Tommy I just laughed and waved

True when they say he had time for anyone, just an all round good guy

17. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    he got me my first autograph (lubo and henrik)

told him how much i wanted to meet them and he made it happen

lucky enough to meet him 6 or 7 times to the point he started recognising me, knowing im a long distance travelling fan . he lovee that. He goes to me, when i was 13 ( last time i seen him) by * ypuve grown.

Honestly you wont ever meet a better man. i know its clche for a dead man but its so true for tommy

18. Cheese - Burger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larrssonnnnnn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Ive always been very fond of Tommy, Never met him but he seems like one of the lovliest guys ever

19. CaltonRepublican

Was a year below Tam at school in St Marys,and at the time he was the best player in the school.I wasnt a bad player myself and made it into our Boys Guild team and most of the guys were a year or two older than me,including Tam.Remember him encouraging me and another younger boy who got picked to play our first game.He was no prima donna just loved playin football.
    A few years ago Celtic played Warsaw and Krakow in 2 pre season friendlies.A few of us went over.The first game was Warsaw and then when we travelled to Krakow,we decided to visit Auswich,the notorious * death camp.There were about 10 of us there some with hoops tops on.While we were walking around we noticed the Celtic team in front of us,mostly young players in the club tracksuits.Tommy was there along with Strachan.
    One of the bhoys gave them a shout and they all turned round and strachan immediately ushered them to move on and continue walking.Well not our Tommy,he came up towards us and shook everyones hand and thanked us for being in Poland supporting the team,and then spent a few minutes talking about the horrible death camp and how it hadtouched him and how he had prayed as he walked through the place.He then wished us a safe journey home and "* bless yous Bhoys"
    Wonderful Celtic man and human being.

LloydsGamble likes this.
  20. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    I have been lucky to meet and be in Tommy's company on a number of occasions. He was everything that has been posted above and more and not just a true Celtic legend but a fantastic human being.

My lasting memory is when he and McCoist had a sing off at a gig I was at for charity, Ally fancies himself as a Bruce Springstreen wannabee (to be fare he is very good) and Tommy rolls up to the stage takes the mike and announces to all "I,m not a rocker I'm a lover" and breaks into Mack the Knife ........ The place was in an uproar and everyone was screaming for more ......... Showed the guys sense of humour and the great relationship he had with McCoist........ Pride of place is a photo of me and the Wife with Tommy on one of these nights ..... Legend RIP :shamrock: