1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thrillhouse

I haven't seen any WWE in an age, so I wasn't that bothered about Punk doing UFC. But watching it today and reading about the guy, I'm kind of gutted that he couldn't make a fist of it. His only good moment was his walk out. I guess at least he didn't run away like Overeem (* was that!?!)

So yeah, Punk basically won me over as a fan, despite showing he is totally incapable :smiley-laughing002:

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Aye Overeem running, then the * at the end claiming Miocic tapped... aye ok. I'd love the UFC if they fed Overeem to Cain next.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He tapped, nae bother ya * tadger :56:

Werdum should be fined for kicking that coach as well, bang out of order.

4. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Werdum is definitely a *, even if i admire him as a fighter.

Shame for we Joanne, but she is still young. Back to the drawing board.

Overeem has no class, and his chin has completely gone now.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Miocic was impressive I have to say. Set up Cain v Stipe please.. Would still be very confident in Cain though. Werdum is really overrated too by the way in my opinion.

6. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I dont really think you can say he is overrated man. (well you can, as you did!)

He was first to beat Fedor, he beat Cain fair and square, and has beat just about everyone else at some point or other. I think he is under credited rather than overrated myself.

I dont like him, but you cant take his major wins away from him.

7. ynwa1987

I dont think he is as good as Valasquez or Miocic but he is an elite fighter for the heavyweight division and his record is very impressive.

8. Nasser

After Werdum lost to Miocic I thought he could well be past it as he looked slow and sluggish but seeing his win over Browne he's still a got it and he could still be a force. But some of his shenanigans in and after that fight though, what a * and him is smiling after like nothing happened. Cain should beat Miocic I think he's better all round fighter. as Miocic has flaws that Cain could take advantage of. I hope they do fight, I will back Cain and it should be good odds. I thought both heavyweight fights started well and then it went down hill some ridiculous moments in both the Overeem fight and the Werdum fight.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Miocic/Cain is a potential barnstormer.

I think people still under rate Miocic, he's a beast with a granite chin and relentless pressure. Very similar to the best version of Cain actually.

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think even as a one off, and I'm sure there are a few of these one offs, it can be damaging for the sport. The UFC is the elite level of MMA and inviting middle aged blokes with no combat experience to come and have a go based solely on their name kind of takes it back to the early days of the organisation. Besides that, this isn't football, rugby, tennis etc, the intention is to hurt your opponent. You don't really 'play' this in the same way you do other sports.

It's hardly the end of the world, but whole event was as bizarre as plucking out some B-list holiday celebrity whose out of shape and in sporting terms very old, and sticking him in the ring/cage with a trained (and high level) fighter is just.....weird, to me at least.

Apparently this is what his opponent said to him when he refused to shake his hand, "You're an actor. You're still acting. We're fighting tomorrow. You know what's going to happen. I'm going to hurt you." That sums it up for me.

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not taking anything away from the guy. His achievements are amazing and like you say, he beat Cain fair and square. However, I look at things from a probability point of view (i.e. betting :icon_mrgreen:)

Werdum beat Cain fair and square. However, if thy fight again I thoroughly believe Cain will take his soul. The first fight was at 7000ft altitude and Cain gassed in the first round. Cardio Cain gassed after 3 minutes or so.

Before that he was being butchered by Mark Hunt before landing a beautiful flying knee KO. Again, every credit to him but the way I look at that is: yes, werdum won. But who wins the hypothetical rematch? For me it's clear to see that Mark Hunt should win that rematch should it ever happen, yet werdum would be a strong favourite because he beat Cain to win the world title and beat Hunt already. See where I'm coming from?

His recent win over Browne further raises his stock too. Where in my eyes, I see a man who struggled against a basketball player. I do not rate Travis Browne in the slightest. He has some very impressive flash KO wins which can't be taken away from him, but overall he is not a good fighter.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He is very similar to Cain in style, but Cain beat Junior Dos Santos twice. BUTCHERED Junior Dos Santos twice. One of which was scored 50-43 on one judge's card. That's the difference for me. I think Cain is criminally underrated and is arguably the greatest of all time over all weight classes

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Cain is 100% not criminally under rated.

It is widely accepted by everyone he is one of the greatest ever heavyweights.

14. thrillhouse

Would like to see Cain v Miocic now as well. Cain would be the comfortable favourite though. Miocic would make a good challenge of it, but he's a little one dimensional compared to Cain. Even at the weekend, Overeem still had Miocic in a bit of trouble at times, that's despite doing more laps around the octogan than landing any hits.

Also, can someone with more knowledge of UFC tell me why Dan Henderson is the first challenger to Bisping next month? Not Weidman? or Jacare? Belfort and Mousasi are even on the same bill who I thought would be more legit challengers. Am I missing something here, or is it a case of having the home favourite not up against a guy who would hand his * to him?

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fairytale ending for Hendo, opportunity for redemption for Bisping. It's a fight which will sell as well, particularly in Manchester.

Don't see the big deal a lot of people are making regarding it. Weidman should be made to fight another of the challengers first - he got destroyed by a guy Bisping just destroyed.

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Not criminally underrated, that's a bit excessive. He is underrated though in my opinion. Not only is he "one of the greatest heavyweights ever" he is THE greatest UFC heavyweight ever (can't give an account of Fedor) and is arguably the best fighter ever.

The fact that Miocic will probably be the favourite if that match up is made is why I believe he is underrated. He is streets ahead of every other heavyweight imo.

17. thrillhouse

Ah right, thanks. Yeah that's fair enough. Right about Weidman of course, I forgot about him losing to Rockhold. Looking forward to it regardless.

18. Highland_Bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever Henrik Larsson, now Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Saw the Punk fight. Best moment was his entrance. He was my favourite wrestler a few years ago and it was hard to see his * getting handed to him.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

One thing the Punk fight does show you is the level these guys are operating at.

Mikey Gall is a novice in UFC terms yet walked over a guy with 2 years specific MMA training like he wasn't even there.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

True yeah.. I do have a feeling this Gall kid has something about him though