1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bertie Auld

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Jan 20, 2012.

Discuss Bertie Auld in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Just watching videos on youtube of old games there and thinking about him, just noticed he'll be 74 in 2 months. Did anyone here ever see him live or any stories as he's some character.

Few of his quotes:

To Jim Brogan
    "Jim what was your favourite moment in football, scoring the winning goal against the Rangers or carrying the hamper for the Lisbon Lions?"

To FIFA Football Mundial when asked how the Lions would get on against the current Rangers team from 1997.
    "I think it'd be a hard game, we'd only beat them 2-1. Because some of us are in our 50's now int we!?"

John Greig "What your win bonus the day?"
    Bertie "£3"
    Greig "Ours is £6"
    Bertie "Aye, at least we'll be getting ours"

He seemed a bit of a psycho too, he once broke players legs in consecutive games, Davie Provan of Rangers then George Miller of Hearts in the next game. He also headbutted 6ft 2 Ron Yeats of Liverpool, who many thought was the hardest player in England at the time when he was playing for Birmingham and in another game headbutted two Fulham players, Johhny Haynes who is their greatest ever player and was the England captain at the time for spitting on him and then another 6ft 2 striker Maurice Cook who had ran over to him after he headbutted Haynes. In a friendly between Hibs and Middlesborough, Nobby Stiles broke Bertie's collar bone, but Auld refused to come off, got his revenge on Stiles who had to be stretchered off and never played for Middlesborough again 10 minutes later and then went off. He also got sent off in Di Stefano's testimonial and took a few swipes at a Racing Club player and ran and pushed him and was sent off in the World Club Championship but he refused to leave the park.

Also had great moments on the park obviously, once scored 5 goals in a game against Airdrie, sat on the ball to mock Clyde in a 6-1 win, played in 3 European finals winning the European Cup where he sung the Celtic song in the tunnel before kick off, lost another final and lost a UEFA Cup final with Birmingham and won 6 League titles, 4 Scottish Cups and 5 League Cups.

Absolute Legend :notworthy so , anybody any stories and stuff.

2. Scarecrow

I'd love to meet him, seems * hilarious.

Looks like my gran as well.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    :56:

I think I did meet him before as I have a signed programme from him but I just cant recall when it was :97: :54:

4. Seosamh Máirtín

My favourite of the LL's. :celt_2:

5. jkel

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown,artur boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    holy goalie
    fantastic player and a great guy to have in your team.
    was just thinking about him the other night when that *
    pepe was fouling,cheating,stamping etc. Bertie would have snapped
    him in two.
    was priveleged to see him play many times. Legend.

6. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    The man's a real gentleman, had the pleasure of meeting him a couple summers ago when Celtic played Man Utd in Toronto. He was at the Charlie & the Bhoys show before the game, signing books and having a great time. Signed my scarf and took a pic. He joined the band on stage to sing "The Fields of Athenry."

Here's a clip of that C&TB show, cameo from Bertie in corner of the screen around 3:15 mark. Maybe someone more tech-savvy can successfully embed it in the thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WvoWbJGO4

Didn't know it, but so happened to be staying in the same hotel as him. I walked into the lounge the morning after the match, we'd lost 3-1. Perhaps I didn't look the happiest guy in the world at that hour, wearing Celtic gear, must've entered the room without much pep in my step, head down. Suddenly a voice shouts across the sparsely populated dining area, something to the effect of: "Pick your head up son." And it was Bertie. Who proceeded to give me a speech from his seat at the table, the same as if it was halftime and I was getting ready to run back out onto the field in a Cup final. He talked about how Lennon was righting the ship and we had some good young players, and he was sure that things would come good for us. His attitude and spirit, whether on match day or even bright and early the next day in the middle of his breakfast, was top class. Celtic through and through.

Haven't relived that story in awhile, thanks for bringing me back there with this thread heh. Will always treasure it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    ScouseHoops and Random Review like this.
  7. dazza297

Hey guys, I won the carling play on the park nearly two years ago and was the drawn as the home team winner and Bertie was our manager for the day what a guy he is genuinely funny guy, very hard on us aswell , we played the day after the old firm game and when he was giving us a team talk he said now no excuses today lads the pitch is in perfect condition as ther was plenty manure on it last nite hahahah,along with" now before you guys start takin the * my daughters a hairdresser and she does insist in putting these grey tints in " , the guys was brilliant something il remember for a long time , just thought I'd share it with you on this topic

Spring Time, pablo88 and The Maestro like this.
  8. wanmadtim Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka - Brown - Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Saw Bertie play many times, superb player...Always used the ball well, never EVER shirked a tackle, always gave 110%.....True Celtic Legend.

9. celtic 1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    A couple of years ago he was on the Real radio phone in with Roughy and co and was asked to tell them something that nobody knew about the Lisbon Lions, he went on to tell them that one of them was GAY, and when they pestered him about who it was he quickly replyed gies a kiss and i will tell you:56::56::56::56:

The Maestro likes this.
  10. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Managed to get some freebie hospitlity tickets for the Celtic v St Mirren game back in Nov (the 5-1 game) tok my wee Ma whos 88 and never been to a live game although she is Celtic daft and never misses them on the telly.
    Anyway at the end of the game wee Bertie comes in to the box to say hello along with Bobby Lennox. He starts to chat my auld Ma up askin her if she ever went up the Lacarno. (aw patter of course) but she felt like a million $$'s. My 2 Bhoys and their mate were pishin themselves the wee man was brilliant got a great photo with my Ma and him and she has it as pride of place on her mantle piece and in my collection as well.
    He was telling the young Bhoys about wee Jinky, Big Jock, Cesar never once mentioned himself. I started tellin them about him singin in the tunnel in Lisbon and that I was at a game were he sat on the ball over at the Jungle.
    He didn't want to talk about himsef at all just fitbaw and the rest of the Lions a really humble man my Bhoys have told all their mates and its on their facebook pages that Bertie Auld the Lisbon Lion tried to chat up their Gran. :56:

Feckin troo legend ........ By the way wee Bobby Lennox was outstandin as well and made you proud tae be part of the Celtic family.

pablo88 and The Maestro like this.
  11. smithy18

a had a run in with him at my golf club. a was using the practice area and then he came up with his 2 grand kids and stood right in the middle of the range so a just kept practicing with my driver then he came down and had a go a didn't even realize who it was until after it happened. he is also barred out every bar up my way because he is supposed to * mad with a drink in him

12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Always remember him talking about the 67 final, in the tunnel lining up against Inter and he just starts belting out the Celtic song " Hail Hail" and so on. Inter didn't know what to make of it.
    Guy is great and love reading and watching his interviews.

13. Artur Boruc #1

Met him and Cesar at a Lisbon Lions book signing a few years ago, as you can imagine he was full of the craic, and was a larger than life type character.

14. MarleyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Y.N.W.A
    I've met him. He was handing out medals at a football tournament I took part in. When he handed me my medal I was wearing neon green nike boots at the time and he said "I need a pair ae they boots tae read ma book at night" :56: If he wasn't good at football he could have been a stand up comedian easily.
    Bertie is a living legend :50:

15. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    Love the guy. His son or daughter (cant remember which) lives a few doors up from me. See him from time to time.

16. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Had the privilege of meeting him a few times, he's an absolute gentleman and one of the biggest Tims you'll ever meet. Legend. My favourite Lisbon Lion.

17. Hadouken

* * everyone's met him :56:

18. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Seen him play and I met him and Joe McBride 2 years ago. How the * Joe sticks him is the eighth wonder of the world, he is such a character and so witty. Absolute legend of a Celt.:50:

19. jamie_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Mick McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I met him outside Paradise before a Rangers game a few seasons back. Definitely one of the Football Greats....

20. shadehoop

Met him and John Clark after the Dunfermline game in November. Made a joke about my height saying that the three of us could rule the world. Didn't actually realise it was him at first, recognised John Clark as he's our kit man. Think he must head along to games a lot also spotted him after the Dundee United game last weekend