1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StibyBhoy

Cut down your eating, smaller portions and more frequently through the day about 3-4 hours apart, especially if you eat chips and fried *, if you dont exercise due to injuries, but CAN get back to it, adding in any sort of exercise will help anyway mate.

Start off easy, can be anything from a few walks a week to jogging etc, dont go full pelt right away or you might get too sore from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness (I THINK!!)).

Find something you will enjoy first, if you go for weights, then I wouldn't bother with weighing yourself, just go with losing belt notches :D.

I hate typing on the laptop, but let me know what your wanting specifically, if its lose the beer belly then, as said, cut down * foods, drink loads of water, add in some cardio/weights, then take it from there :D

Also, if you join a gym, ask the trainers there for a programme, most people dont bother and do thier own thing, but if you have a programme to follow, it gets you into a good habit.

Hope that helps, and aint too obvious :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  2. peaky95

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You Will Never Walk Alone
    been losing weight steadily over the past two months, near enough a stone loss.
    All you need to do is stop eating junk, things like chocolate and crisps and sweets, and exercise more, about 30 mins a day will do you good.

It is VITAL you eat breakfast, as this starts your metabolism, and if you skip breakfast your metabolism wont start untill you do eat. (metabolism is digestion and resperation and the such, this uses around 2000 calories per day)

I'd also advise you exercise in the morning too, if you can as this will make your metabolic rate skyrocket. Just remember, watch what you eat and try to stop snacking.

Calories in = Calories out

hope this helps :shamrock:

3. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

How do I get fat? (serious question)

I'm skinny as *, eat ridiculous amounts of food, do * all exercise and I'm still a skinny *.

4. Xavier Woods

Fav Celtic Player:
    Erik Sviatchenko
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    lucky you. :56:

5. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

I know :84:

But I need to put on weight.

And this is my last few days dinners :56:

Friday - Chippy
    Saturday - McDonalds
    Sunday - Christmas Dinner
    Monday - McDonalds
    Tuesday - Chippy
    Wednesday - Normal
    Thursday - Chippy

6. smithy18

start to eat meals with high levels of protein and starch

7. Lennon1888

Take it a treadmill only takes fat of your legs really? what about *?

8. moanthetic

You can't spot reduce fat - whatever your genetic makeup is determines where you'll loose fat from first. Last place is usually lower tummy though!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  9. format

Around 18 months ago I was about 16.5 to 17 stone. I'm 6 foot 5 so it's not quite as bad as it sounds but I was definitely heavier than I wanted to be.

The following sorted me right out.

Five a side much more often, at least once a week and preferably 3 times.
    Cycling instead the bus.
    Running once or twice a week, started around 2 miles each time but now do around 3.5 miles a jog.
    Cut out white bread, and eat less brown bread.
    Drastically cut down on fizzy juice and alcohol.

Now I'm around under 14 stone, far fitter than I was before and far happier too!

Just need a bit of self discipline and it's easy!

10. Artur Boruc #1

Snap! :celt_2:

11. R.A.

your heart is going to explode one day if you keep eating like that! :88:

12. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

I must add, this was only last week and cause it's Christmas/New Year. I normally eat more normally.

13. verdi-y-blanco

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Well I used to have a good set of man * but I've toned them up since I started doing Muay Thai Boxing. One conditioning exercise we do, which totally * you is alternating between press ups and squat thrusts/jumping jacks.

Do 10 press ups and then switch to 10 squats or jumping jacks

then do 9 of each and then 8,7 so on. This will tone your chest quick time.

Another thing I've started doing is cutting down on the bevvy. Specifically Lager. If you still want to go out drink vodka and orange (its a bit girly but the hangovers aren't half as bad either). As a replacement for drinking ginger I've been buying sparkling water and adding sugar free dilute to it. Irn bru it ain't but it's more interesting than just drinking water.

In terms of eating I would recommend switching from chicken to turkey, its a small switch i barely noticed. Turkey has much more protein and less fat so it will also help you get pecs and not *.

14. atmosphere

I'd really love to join a gym but it's a time thing.

I get up for work at 10 (Get up at 8) until 5pm ( don't get home until 6 ) Then i need to fit the gym in their ?

Realistically I'll have about 3/4 hours to myself or with friends/family, is the sacrifice worth it ?

Not enough hours in the day to be honest. But if there was they'd probably make you work longer anyway... what's the point :54:

15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Not gonna help much:56:

16. TimFloyd Gold Member

No offence but this is just another excuse, 3/4 hours a week for a healthier fitter more confident you and you question if it is worth it?

You don't need to join a gym, go out running at nights, do interval training, get some dumbells and a barbell.

As Arnie shwarzenegger said when he was in the Austrian army him and his mate would take weights along to training missions and get up an hour before everyone else at 5am and blast an hours weights session before doing a day of army training and exercises.

So if you have the desire nothing can stop you, the tools are all readily available in regards to nutrition and workouts etc on the net all you need is bit of effort because after a while you enjoy working out and eating right and cant even comprehend missing a workout :50:

17. StibyBhoy

Cry me a * river pal, if your not interested, your not interested, your working day is a lot more shorter that most I know at 7 hours.

I've done 12 hour shifts and still made the gym, if you want to do it, really want to do it, then knock the I aint got time * on the head right away, it's very much about habit, you could still get to the gym and have 3 hours or so to yourself man, you dont need to be there 2-3 hours, 45 mins to an hour and your laughing.

I work half 8 to half 4 and go to the gym before work, that way, it doesn't really encroach on my family time.

18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I always seem to do great for about 4 months then put it all back on, and some. Always tired, and between work and uni then exams, it's hard to find the time and energy.
    Going back in Jan when the semester starts back. Good gym on campus

19. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Not trying to exccuse but I work a 60 hour week Monday-Friday 7-7 I get up at 5. Sat or Sun are taken up with the fitba and my weans as its the only quality time I get with them but I need to draastic do something my weight is creeping up bursting out a 40" trousers.

In the past I went down 38" 30/32" when I was in my early - mid 20s when I lost it all however I was unemployed and now my money is decent and I have poor willpower curry and biscuits and also I dont pay for breakfast or lunch at work.

From the last time I lost the weight I have also had my cruciate liagament done and chucked * and I have destroyed nerves and tendons in my right hand so I have a poor grip so I think weight training is out

20. StibyBhoy

Thats a tough one fella, look up tabata workouts, its 20 seconds fast 10 seconds rest, only last 4 minutes, you could do those nightmare squat thrusts into a jumping jack/pullup, lol, that will * ye up in minutes man, also use the Saturday for a gym hour or an early morning run, preferably on grass to reduce impact.

Find anything, hills, stairs and use those, anything that reduces the time but will * you up

My wrist got shattered at fitba, I mean a break,fracture and chip, got wires int here that never took so ended up with a plate and a bone from my hip in there, the tendon rubs against the plate (apparently), but I can still mash out decent weights, doesnt need to be heavy for you, buy a kettlebell from tesco, a light one and do exercises with that, if grip is really bad, get gloves.

I used to work shifts like that man, doesnt help the family man at all, and is more detrimental to your health than anything ::(