1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lionel Messi

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mystic Penguin, Aug 27, 2011.

Discuss Lionel Messi in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BobbyEvans

I knew he'd never reach those goalscoring heights again.

Funniest thing about this video is watching the fat kid trying to deal with him!

Messi has truly been touched by the hand of *.

2. DannybhoyCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Roberts, Dembele, Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe Mcdonnell, Grace
    Is that messi?

3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I think so.

4. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS6nS8W0bOU[/YOUTUBE]

This definitely is.

5. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I just checked I don't think it is Messi anymore.

6. smithy18

the shirt in the first video looks to new to be messi at that age

7. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    This is Messi when he was 13 apparently.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUtjC6ZBOA&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG6QSa3ASCc[/YOUTUBE]

8. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Still not at the level of Pele, Cruyff or, for me the greatest, Maradona.

I think he is possibly comparable with Zidane and Ronaldhino at his best, but he is still only 24. His best years will be ahead of him, then the comparisons will be fair.

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

better than both, i think thats clear tbh

10. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Clear? Really.Thats a bold statement. Both these players have won every individual and team trophy available to them and at the their peak, they too were mentioned as being amongst the greatest of all time.

Messi is great now, and if he keeps it up then he will be in the same breath as the greats. No doubt whatsoever that he is the no1 player on the planet at the moment though.

11. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

not bold imo, Zidane was fantastic, better than Ronaldinho, who was also excellent, but, was a little inconsistant, neither were as good as messi though, he has the pass, the finish, the dribbling, movement, Zidane and Ronaldinho were wonderful, i like them both, but i think Messi is better, me saying that is as bold as you saying hes not as good as cruyff or pele or whoever, just your opinion, and mines is hes better than Zidane and Ronaldinho, i didnt see cruyff, maradona or pele in action apart from highlights so i wont compare him to them, but Zidane and Ronaldinho? Messi is above them, only my opinion though

what has trophies got to do with individual ability its a team sport is it not?

and its not like Messi hasnt won much, win a WC and hes sorted

12. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I agree that Zidane was a little better than Ronaldhino, but people forget quickly how great players are. Of course Messi is a great player, but there have been great players every generation.

Trophies are a good gauge of a player, but your right, its not the be all and end all. Though I think that if George Best had a successful international career then he would be up there as well.

I have been lucky enough to see all the greats, although only a little of Pele, but they were so exciting to watch.

Cruyffs turn in the 1974 World Cup was the exact moment that I fell in love with football. It is still clear to me this day. When we see it now it doesnt look anything special, but at that time it was something that pretty much no-one else even thought of.

Messi is heading that way as well but its something that we should look back on rather than suggest now. I think anyway.

13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

i remeber zidane and ronaldinho well, and i just think messi has a little more, Zidane was a silky * with great vision, alot of craft, a truly brilliant player, Ronaldinho was unbelievably skilled, and also had a great eye for a pass, scored some truly brilliant goals, the thing is though, messi IMO has the same attributes as those 2, but shows them on a more consistant level(than ronaldinho anyways) the amount he contributes is insane, but i respect that you dont think the same, im just spoutiong my opinion.

im not gonna argue or disagree with your views on the older players, i really would be stupid to try and compare or judge, but i truly believe,Messi, is the best player I have ever seen :50:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  14. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    And thats what its all about. Im not going to say your wrong because it all depends on how you see the game. Messi is a great for sure, that is not up for debate.

:50:

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

hes without doubt the best at this moment in time(well in attack atleast, defenders and GK's dont get enough credit) but i just think like last season, having 53 goals and 20 odd assists whilst im sure creatring loads more chances, its just the best ive seen(ronaldo had a similar goal total but his all round play isnt as impressive), of course he plays in a wonderful team, but not like ronaldinho or zidane didnt, already 4 goals and 3 assists this season in 3 games, against very good teams, i dont think teams, and defenders feared ronaldinho or zidane asmuch as they fear messi, i just think hes fantastic, i may be a little biased, i do have a soft spot for barca, but i think my points are valid, i think he has a bigger influence than those others mentioned, although Zidane and Ronaldinho are two player i loved watching, i can understand why you think they are on par. great to watch, its just to me, Messi is above. :50:

16. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The thing about Messi is his ability to fully sprint and not only have the ball under control, but have it basically bend to his will. It borders on absurd. I don't think I've ever seen anybody, whether highlights of the old greats or new players, be able to keep the ball under such control that he does at such a high velocity. Maradona always bordered on a little reckless but got away with it in a time of more individual defending and Iniesta does it well but at a slower pace... but it's just breathtaking. I remember clearly when he took on I think Vidic and Ferdinand in the first CL final and he was just kind of walking a tightrope between the two but at a full sprint, until I think Vidic just hacked him down.

17. Rachaelink

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik

I am aware of the successes, in fact I got a Napoli top with Maradona's name on it back when he was playing. But more emphasis was put on their international careers.

18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Sexy Little Man! :icon_mrgreen:

19. Rachaelink

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik

That he is Zander! I love the guy!

20. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

:97::97::97: