1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    I agree about Mayweather, and have been saying it all through the Pacman hype on here for years, Moayweather would annihilate him on points, I think he'd beat him in at least 9 of the 12 rounds.

I don't think there's much in a JMM rematch for Floyd now, purely because of how convincingly he beat him last time after 'retirement', so I'm not sure where he'll go. I'd like to see the Pacquiao fight, and I suppose if it was just about money, then Pacquiao doesn't have a leg to stand on now %age wise.

2. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Can't believe SKY are entertaining yet another 'Amir Khan Fightback' and trying to pass his fight of on Saturday as a 'big event'.

Utter dud.

3. James Gold Member Gold Member

Utter utter dud not like the English Media either :rolleyes:

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Yeah utter dud, 22 year old World Champion :facepalm:

Prescott knocked him out, he was a stupid * against Garcia but he beat Peterson and was robbed. He remains a world class boxer having beat a number of top contenders in his division.

5. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    * sake. :56:

You must be on the wind up?

Aye OK, world class, just like Hatton. :50:

6. Heisenberg

* me Hammer, are you serious? The guy is * average now, he hasn't improved since he was 22 and everyone else has, infact he's probably got worse

Malignaggi, maidana were way past their prime when khan fought them. Although he done well in those fights in the states he always chose to fight guys with glass jaws like his own one which helped him a * of a lot. He struggled so badly against peterson (regardless of the drugs issue) a guy who can take punches, same goes with garcia.

The * called out floyd before the peterson fight, after it...nothing remotely said at all , he's got no respect for any opponents. If he wants to improve he has to lose the ego, accept defeat, move on and start from scratch, no doubting his talent but he is most definitely not a world class boxer

also has no one told him, take your time when you get decked, everytime i see khan get decked he gets up as fast as he can which does not help him at all

Can i just make it clear i don't think he's a dud at all but he ain't no world class boxer. Floyd, Pacman, Marquez, are all world class, khan is nowhere near them just now and i can't see him ever getting as good as them

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  7. Pearse Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley and Let The People Sing
    Khan has the skills to trouble any fighter, I'm not sure about world class and he certainly doesn't fit into the Marquez Pacman bracket but the manner that he's been knocked out has overshadowed his achievements at world level at a young age

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    :50:

Khan is world class. It * me off no end when people label him average. The truth of the matter is boxing is a hard, gruelling sport. The average boxer doesn't even win a local area title never mind become world champ. I'm not even a big Khan fan, I think he's an idiot who would do well to keep his mouth shut on a number of topics. However he is exactly the kind of fighter boxing needs. He'll fight anyone put in front of him and is always an exciting fighter to watch.

He is world class.

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    If in you're opinion the only world class fighters today an Pac, JMM and Mayweather then yes, it would be fair to say Khan isn't on the same level and probably never will be. For me though Khan has been competing at the 'world level' for a number of years despite his young age, and that makes him world class. To say he's average is just plain wrong.

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    A prime Hatton was absolutely a world class fighter.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Mayweather has NEVER wanted to get in the ring with Pacquiao. IMO it's more likely to happen in the next 12 months now than it has been since Pacquiao dismantled Cotto.

For what it's worth, in my opinion Floyd Mayweather is an absoulute cancer in the sport of boxing. The word coward shouldn't be used to describe anyone who set's foot in the ring, but Mayweather is the closest thing I've seen to a coward in terms of all-time-great boxers.

Mayweather "I may be a coward, but I'm a rich coward"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSE5Ymh3ro"]Floyd Mayweather says "IM A RICH COWARD" manny pacquiao juan manuel marquez cotto nonito jeremy lin - YouTube[/ame]

This guy would not have set foot above light-weight if he was fighting in the 70's.

12. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    It stuns me that people genuinely think this idiot is 'world class'. So, your opinion of a world-class boxer is, to quote:

However he is exactly the kind of fighter boxing needs. He'll fight anyone put in front of him and is always an exciting fighter to watch.

So if I scrap with anyone put in front of me, somersault into the ring and pull out a few fancy moves, it doesn't really matter if I get knocked out in 45 seconds like our friend Amir, I'm still world class?

This 'silver-medallist' has a gub bigger than his talent and has been made to look silly on several occasions, look at the humble way somebody like Ricky Burns handles himself, doing his talking in the ring, yet this clown continues to mouth off and earn SKY Sports paydays, despite spending more time on his * than a one-legged ice-skater.

I hope Molina punches his * in.

13. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    As per previous posts ..

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Read my post again, that isn't what I said.

Khan IS world class because he fights at the top-level of the sports. He holds wins over the likes of Judah, Malignaggi, Kotelnik and Maidana. He routinely fights against other fighters in and around the 'world-class fighter' bracket.

Off course that doesnt make you world class :87: If you held a world title at 22 and were competitive at the top level of this sport then you would be. My point about Khan's willingness to fight anybody. It's a trait that is unfortunately seen less and less in modern boxing, especially among fighter at the top level. For all the evidence you need see Mayweather, a guy with ability well ahead of Khan's but who 'retired' when the Welterweight division was at it's best.

As for Hatton, well I don't know what to say if you don't believe a prime Ricky Hatton was world class. Do you not believe opponents he stopped like Kostya Tszyu or Jose Luis Castillo were world class? Would a fighter universally recognised as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world at the time of the Mayweather fight not fit into your world class category?

Paydays are dependent on who watches, not a fighters ability. Burns needs to step up his competition and leave Frank Warren.

15. Pinstripe

16. monthehoops1888

Hope Khan gets knocked the * out once again.

17. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Khan has a gub bigger than his talent,facing every decent fighter and getting knocked out by them all doesn't count as being world class. Are Real Betis world class because they play Barcelona and Real Madrid? As for Mayweather, he took out Hatton and Marquez pretty comfortably and I have no doubt if the Mani fight ever happens, which now looks less likely, he would take him out pretty comfortably too.

Hatton got found out when he stepped up in class, he had an awesome hook and body shot and you're right, he stopped some good fighters, but he lacked the brain for the really big fights, was badly found out against Mayweather and Mani made him look pretty silly.

My point about Burns was the way he conducts himself in comparison to Khan. I love Ricky and have no doubt he will get his big Vegas payday soon, but I agree, he needs to step it up to get more respect, talk of fighting that idiot Harrison needs to be knocked right out of his head.

18. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Can't see it to be honest, although the way he hangs his chin out like a * there is always a chance he can get caught.

You can get 8-1 on Molina, worth a fiver. :50:

19. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Whose the guy he is fighting tonight? I know he's 17-0 but he hasn't had a fight since November 2010?? Over two years!!

I don't think their has ever been a british sportsman who I hate more than Amir Khan. Hope he gets knocked out tonight!!

20. monthehoops1888

I got Molina to beat him in the 6th 7th or 8th round £20 on each of them at 50/1