1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrik Larsson

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by PaddyBhoy, Apr 4, 2011.

Discuss Henrik Larsson in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    wouldve gone down as one of the games greatest had he went to a better team earlier on, the man was a truly sensational player and professional, never seen him swearing down live tv cameras. he is, and always will be, ghod.

2. willmc31

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    anyone have the picture of him holding up 50 for his 50th goal?

3. AnthonyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fortune & Maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
  4. Markybhoy

Steady on! :56:

5. Mince.Charming

6. DixieDixie

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I never tire of talking about the man.

I'll try and put this in to some sort of perspective.

My SECOND ever Celtic game was the last game the Lisbon Lions ever played together. We beat Clyde 6-0 or 6-1, so I grew up with stories of Lisbon and saw them all play. I started going to CP with my pals about 1970 or 1971. I was still a boy but it was a different world then. I have been going to games ever since and seen every Celtic legend since.

If someone says to me that Johnstone or McNeil or Dalglish or anyone else is the greatest Celtic player since then, then I won't argue but Larsson really is my King of all Kings. I love the man like a brother, never met him but his leaving and his memory of playing for us, still makes me cry.

marco van basten 9 likes this.
  7. CelticBhoyDavid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Would have to be King of Kings, Henrik Larsson.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not picky.
    There are far, far too many incidents to name, from scoring to help us stop that other lot from getting the ::::shudder:::: dreaded 10-in-a-row to scoring against Boavista to send us to the final of the UEFA Cup.

The 2000/2001 season he was immense, banging in goal after goal and winning the European Golden Boot. The following seasons he wasn't half bad either :icon_mrgreen: To me that was THE season to let everyone know - especially the huns - we were back and back with a vengeance and King Larsson was leading the way.

I have been a supporter since the age of 13 and in the 24 years of supporting Celtic I have never seen a striker play for us like Larsson. He was - and to me still is - Celtic through and through. He could have went onto play for Manchester United (were he eventually DID play), Liverpool or Real Madrid but he CHOSE to stay with us and I believe he even turned offers from Man Utd down (unless I'm mistaken). To me he loved playing for the team and it wasn't purely for the money. He wasn't one of these pathetic badge kissers you see these days that pledge their undying love for the club but then leave because they weren't getting paid enough money.

He played for the team and not just for himself like so many players do these days. He was a team player and was a very modest player as well, never taking the plaudits for himself and always putting the team ahead of himself. Yeh, we all know he would have loved banging the goals in week in, week out (what striker wouldn't?) but for him it was all about the team and not just himself. Perfect example being the UEFA Cup final - he scored the two goals in that match (which were superb headers) but I think still to this day he doesn't rate them because the team never won.

Everyone outside Celtic (especially the huns) had their doubts about him when he moved to Barcelona as well, saying that the SPL is an easy league and that's the only reason he done so well but, again, he showed his class for Barcelona - especially in the Champions League final against Arsenal in 2006 when he set up BOTH goals after coming on as a sub in the 61st minute. I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that he deserved it and deserved to win on the grandest stage in European football.

The man was true class, a true footballing genius and a gentleman to boot and I think the one true BEST moment Larsson gave us without a doubt was when he signed for Celtic FC.

He thanked us for our wonderful support but it is US that should thank him for all the wonderful memories, fantastic moments and the excellent 7 years he gave all of us and this great club.

Henrik Larsson - the King of Kings who shall Never Walk Alone! :ynwacelti

8. CelticBhoyDavid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Would have to be King of Kings, Henrik Larsson.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not picky.
    Something like this, willmc? :50:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There isn't a suitable superlative in the English language to describe how much I admire and love that man.

10. DA_PAUL

Iniesta on Larsson+Celtic

From the daily record--And having sampled what Celtic Park has to offer, he admitted he now knows why former Barcelona team-mate Henrik Larsson chose to spend the majority of his playing career in this country when he could have played for virtually any team in the world.

Iniesta said: “I can see why Henrik decided he wanted to spend most of his career at Celtic.

“To play in that atmosphere every week must be very special – and of course he was worshipped in Scotland.

“I had the pleasure to play with Henrik during the latter stages of his career and he was still a fantastic player then.

“During his peak he could have played for any team in Europe but he decided to stay loyal towards Celtic. It is very clear what he thought about the club and the fans.”
    I remember martin o neil being a world cup or euro champ pundit on bbc one time saying "my love affair with henrik larsson will never die"
    Neither will mine martin lol!!

11. Cheese - Burger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larrssonnnnnn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Henrik will always be my hero:celt_2:

12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Henrik Larsson threads make me weep

13. celticminded89

I feel privileged to have witnessed the man in the flesh strutting his stuff on the pitch.

Best ever.

14. Higgie

Good read.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I feel like crying every time I read the mans name.

It's like I love him so much I don't even know how to cope with it.

16. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Don't tell Iniesta the atmosphere isn't like that every week :fear:

17. Shane1888

* *, Iniesta really is angling for a move here.

Maybe towards the end of his career.

18. ether67

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik, paolo, pierre, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing/the holy goalie/hail hail
    If he talks enough about us , he might convince some of his team mates too . :50:

19. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Always good to see a Celtic legend like Larsson getting the praise he deserves.

While not at all a supporter of Barcelona,I have nothing but respect and admiration for their players,they ooze class on and off the pitch.

20. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke