1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mulgrew as CB

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jaslam67, Feb 1, 2011.

Discuss Mulgrew as CB in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. northeast67

he,s the most improved and proving cb can be his, possional sence will only get better,another lennon masterclass. allthough id say danny had his best game today and rogne is 1 of my fav players mulgrew has taking his chance superbly and should get a run.....

2. gerry_bhoy

I think your right there. I remember hearing that he was brought up as a centre half and only later moved left. Probably due to having a bit of ability on the ball, I duno.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He played at centre-back twice last season fro Aberdeen against the huns when Zander Diamond was injured and they kept two clean sheets :celt_2:

4. jmcdaniel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Former: Henrik Larsson; Current: McGeady or Samaras
    I have so many thoughts about Mulgrew this season. I was truly disappointed when Celtic signed him. I've never rated him as a fullback: too slow, not skilled enough on the ball, etc. I never considered he might be better suited at CB, but thinking about it, what a fit. He's got plenty of pace for the middle of the park. His footskills surpass most CBs in the SPL, his distribution has always been a strong part of his game. What a pleasure to watch him in there. I hope he continues to develop at that position and we have the problem of deciding to start Big Maj or Rogne. I think all three are the best we've had in a bit, and there is finally some consistency in the middle of the park.

5. Ryan2442

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Hartley, Barry Robson, Arthur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Y.N.W.A
    Isn't he doing a smashing job as a CB !!!???!!!:50:
    Nice one Charlie !!!!!

Hail Hail:shamrock:

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was brought through the ranks during the O'Neill era when the whole club was set up to a 3-5-2. He played on the left side of a 3 and as a left wing back.

For someone that isn't a natural centre half his positioning since moving there has been excellent, he's composed as is Izzaguire which gives an excellent platform to build on and he wins most headers in the air.

I think he has to stay there whilst he's in this form.

7. Bamboozle

he's been excellant at CB, far better than Loovens, McManus, Caldwell. his long term future has to be here. also some of the balls he plays out of defence are excellant plus his set pieces are top class.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Charlie is a CB now as simple as!! Fair play to the lad he took his early criticism on the chin and fought his way back into the side! It really helps when we can play the ball out of defence and he has Izzy always available to knock the ball to.
    Totally merits his starting berth, has a great delivery and not bad in the air as well.

Really pleased for him. A quick word for Maj too looked really solid yesterday!:shamrock:

9. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He was absolutely terrific yesterday, the best player on the park for me. People have been saying he hadnt been properly tested but Charlie is just making the tests look so easy that he's cruising through them.
    His positioning under high balls is impeccable and his touch and passing are a joy to behold. He looks like someone who's been playing the position for 10 years.
    Delighted for the guy I thought he'd be well out of his depth when we signed him. But he's risen to the challenge and is our no. 1 CB for me untill he proves otherwise.

10. dannynye1888

he's a fantastic CB ... chalie mulgrew the celtic centre half !!!

11. scottythetim

i think if lenny had any doubts about charlie, rogne would have been in yesterday, but hes no just filling in hes now making that starting spot his own, and excelling at it, good on you for grabbing your chance charlie

12. chunkystriker

Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    Was given his chance through injuries and grabbed it with both hands. Also,being a boyhood celt, it wont matter to him one bit whether he plays LB or CB as long as he gets the chance to wear his beloved hoops.

13. OverandOver

haha that is a very good point :50: he's shocked me at how good he's been recently, still not convinced he can be a first choice centre half for us but a few more displays like that will go some way to convincing me!

14. OverandOver

by the way guys, assuming charlie is now seen as a centre half, who do you think would be cover for Emilio? I realise Mulgrew can still play there but it would make our squad much stronger if Mulgrew was a centre half and someone else covered for Emilio. Carey prehaps? Any other ideas

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Amazing what confidence can do for a player :50:

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Charlie Maldini

17. ThereByTheGrace

Na I don't know about Mulgrew in long run ie in Europe think he's doing well at the moment though but not the long term CB solution if ye ask me.

18. emmetf

i feel as if we may get bitten in the * praising mulgrew like this when his form dips a bit, it happens to all players...

but * what a shift this lad put in, MOTM for me on sunday

19. Big Innes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!!
    Wilson has played there in the past and coped well. Mulgrew has definitely established himself as a solid CB but if needed could fill in at LB with Rogne taking his place at CB. But for some reason he was dreadful on the left so would look at other options before this.

But Charlie Bhoy, as someone said earlier...it's amazing what confidence can do for a player. Fantastic display yesterday! MOTM for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You keep hearing this but what does it really mean? Because we signed a left back from Aberdeen he won't be good enough to play centre half in Europe?

His performances speak for themselves for me, Jelavic is a £4.5 million European class striker that has scored a brace against us in Europe already and he had him in his back pocket to the point he was toying with him in the end, flicking the ball over his head like a schoolboy.