1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Wilson - Right back

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keane7, Jan 3, 2011.

Discuss Mark Wilson - Right back in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kerr_OConnor

Fav Celtic Player:
    was petrov but now McManus
    I seem to be the only one that thought he had an awful game. He gave away several stupid free kicks in areas that are dangerous against Rangers. They marked him as the weak link hence all the long ball diagonals into his area. Until we scored I thought Wilson was going to hand Rangers the game, i.e. same old story we dominate them but get hit a suck punch through a defensive error. I don't rate Wilson, he surrendured possession on a number of occassion with amateurish long balls. Not good enough for celtic, put it this way - would he be a standout for hamilton? Nah, Celtic should have better players in all positions compared to the other sides in the SPL. That's just what I believe.

2. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's the definition of an average player for me. He used to have great pace but injuries took that away. Couldn't lace Hinkel's boots IMO but its a toss up between him and Cha. He's fine for the rest of the domestic season but if we're looking at a European campaign next season then we need to improve in that position.

3. limerickcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    all of em
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    agree. thought he had a bad game.

4. jiko

I'd maybe agree but think it will be fairer to judge once he's had the run of games he'll get with Cha being away.. Did the dirty job of competing in 50/50's very well , I think it was the first couple of minutes he outmuscled Miller and was good at that right through.. Felt his distrubution under no real pressure was quite poor and when Paddy played him through in the 2nd half I was sure he was getting to the ball to fire it across goal but he ended up crashing into the ad boardings as the ball trundled behind for a goal kick.. Played well and deserves to retain his place and get full match sharpness..

5. OverandOver

We need a new rightback in my opinion - Cha is very fast but nothing else, Wilson is good on his day but his distribution can be terrible. He was probably one of our weakest links yesterday despite all the praise he's getting

6. celtic20

He's certainly capable, no doubt about that, but Lenny will pick Cha most of the time for right back even though he is better in the wing, and that will leave Wilson out of the team.

Lenny's order for right back I think is this:

1. Cha Du Ri
    2. Mark Wilson
    3. Efrain Juarez
    4. Andreas Hinkel

7. celtic20

So you said:56:

8. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Was not at his best yesterday but still put in a great shift the lad always does , i would only play Hinkel ahead of him Mark is very solid and you know exactly what your getting .

9. Kutek

i think wilson had an absolute shocker for us yesterday :/ worst player in the hoops, cha > wilson anyday. Wilson is and will never be anything more than a bit bob player at celtic park.

10. gunt

Wilson for me is like Maloney, a technically very good player whose career has been ruined by injury. I think he is the sort of player who is always worth keeping as he is versatile, reliable and probably very cheap in terms of wages. Kind of reminds me of Jackie. Jackie was with us for about 8? years and in those years there were about 5 seasons when he was either injured or not a first choice but they kept giving him new contracts and eventually after Seville he had 2 seasons as a first choice LB, skipper and Scotland regular. So, I would keep Wilson indefinately although maybe on no more than 2 year contracts due to dodgy knees. When fully match fit he is a really decent defender (which not all our FBs are) but his problems mean we probably should still buy a 1st choice RB. Cha is not a FB IMO.

11. NickP1888

He consistently puts in a decent shift which is good enough for me

12. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Glass legs for me.

In the waiting list behind Maloney for the treatment table. No use for a team looking for consistency.

Good enough but too soft.

13. cork-celtic-fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    gary hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    thought he was ok yesterday but propebly put on the worst performance in the celtic team yesterday

14. Celtic_Mel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wilson is quality. I'd say hes been our most consistent right back when he has played he's never really made any horrendous mistakes. Can put a decent ball in the box too, was captain of Scotland under 21's a few years ago, he just needs to stay fit.

15. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Tough one. Wilson is better defensively for me, and also has a better final ball. Cha, on the other hand, is better at getting forward. Could be better as a winger.
    Cha seems to me a bit like Lennon is still wanting to try playing 3-5-2 with wingbacks.
    Overall I still think Hinkel is our best RB.

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Thought he had a good game yesterday and has been pretty consistent this season. For me Hinckel would start still if he was fit but I would take Wilson over Cha at right back for sure.

17. maggiethatcher

Fav Celtic Song:
    never walk alone
    I have always rated Wilson in the same way as I always rated McNamara, yet it seems to be the same story as under MON really. Agathe and Cha have very similar attributes but so do Mark and Jackie. Wilson is solid, pretty quick, very good positionally, has a brilliant delivery into the box, decent passer and most of all a boyhood Celtic fan. I honestly believe he is Scotland's best RB after Hutton.

18. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    I always feel first-team defenders need to be players who aren't injury prone, a defence line must have an understanding and that comes with playing regular competitive matches. Regular being the part that bombs Wilson out of contention, he can barely string a couple of games together.

I think he's good defensively and hit and miss going forward, decent back up at best for me because of the reasons above. It's a shame because I like him and it's good to have one full-back who is more capable defensively - like Chelsea have in Ivanovic (just an example not comparing players), I think it's tactically more balanced when one full-back is defence minded.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  19. northeast67

dependable player,would love to see hinkel back in this team,chas similar to wilson,in just being another ok player, jeurez should get a blast seeing hes not getting midfield chances

20. Keane7

Let's hope he stays fit for the rest of the season.