1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Money

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by hairytoes, Jul 1, 2010.

Discuss Transfer Money in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hairytoes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ceasar, Maestro, Lubo, Henrik, Naka, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know there may be some similar threads...but.

We pulled in quite a lot of dough last January from selling McDonald (£3.5m) Robson (£1m) Caldwell (£1m) Flood/Killen Fox (£2.5m) so say around £8millions.

We brought in Hooiveld, Rogne & Rassmussen for about £3millions max. but loaned Braafheid, Kamara & Keane - we also loaned out McManus for a fee.

So the board have about £5million in transfer fees from last January.

We're now maybe going to sell:

McManus (£2m) Samaras (£2m) Boruc (£2m) McGeady (£8m) = £14millions + £5millions from January = £19millions from transfer fees.

I know this is pure conjecture, formed from paper talk, but it's pretty much in the ball park & entirely plausible IMHO.

Now, what do you think the board will do with £19millions?

Same thing they did with the £8millions from January - keep their grubby wee grasping fingers on it, or blow it on waste of space loanees?

Surely this money could've been used to attract a quality coach/manager, who could then have been given the remainder to spend as he pleased.

I hope Lenny sees most of the money he generates from sales, but the boards past history in going for cheap options & witholding transfer funds generated doesn't give me much hope.

BTW It's not a negative post, I'm genuinely concerned where the money goes from player sales.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
  2. CelticFC1967

we bought in Hooiveld, Ki Seung Yung, Rasmussen etc in January btw

3. hairytoes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ceasar, Maestro, Lubo, Henrik, Naka, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ki was paid for at the beginning of the season by all accounts.

I had a quick edit for the others, but you were in too quick...:icon_mrgreen:

4. ardoyne celt

keanes wages cost a fair bit id say

5. CelticFC1967

:50::56:

6. GlenBhoy

Wouldn't sell boruc for 2 million!

7. CelticFC1967

best you will get considering he can sign pre-contracts for free in 6 months

8. wulliebad

Sometime we have to sell players and pay other stuff.....not all player sales gets put back into the team....
    Why do you think the term undisclosed fee is used so often.....so clubs can spend it elsewhere and the fans dont know how much or where its going.
    Thats not to say the boards are spending money they shouldnt...or on the wrong things.

9. Barry Robson

Wages, signing on fees and agent fees would have went into signings aswell as the fee. Then the wages throughout the season players and staff, travelling costs, stadium and park maintenance, stewards and police and the fact we had half an empty stadium for about 2months we would have lost revenue.

I reckon Lennon has about 5m plus half of the money he brings in from sales. Hope he gets the money he needs to buy the players he wants.

10. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    wouldnt sell him period!

11. pelethebhoy

There was cash left because mcdonald was sold and ramis deal fell through.

Mcgeady will only be sold fir 10m plus and boruc should go for more than 2m if it is in this window, so there should be plenty of cash.

What you need to remember is the guys Lennon is trying to get command BIG wages by our standards so even though bullard, Campbell, ledley and the Korean are frees/loan they will still cost big money. I think this is still the way to go as ledley may have a decent resale value and the other 3are experienced pros who will add grit and fight to a weak side.

So, if Lennon only spends say, 8m and brings in loan deals and frees and holds on to boruc and mcgeady the wage bill will go up a fair bit so in actual fact it may be closer to 15m when wages are taken into account.

12. Redbaz

Great post as usual,thinking with the head, but you may as well talk to the wall on here, most don't think with that:31:

13. woodlandsbhoy86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    we probably paid £1m-£1.5m in loan fees for keane braafheid and kamara also, so that would eat into the £5m you're claiming we should have lying around from last season.

and why are you so sure we're going to sell boruc and mcgeady or mcmanus for that matter? because the daily * said so?

lennon has saud he wants to keep all three.

14. Rosleabhoy

Redbaz at it again. Deary me. Let the discussion run it's course.

15. emmetf

:38:

there is other * the board has to spend money on, but you do have a point as there is MINIMUM 2 million from the january window that they can pocket if they see fit

16. kevtun1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    The way Lenny is going is the same way MON went. He is trying to bring in Mainly British with the exception of Du-Ri. The only way we can attract players like Keane and Bullard at the minute is to get them in the door on an initial loan. Im all for it. At the end of the day if Bullard was to do his knee again towards the end of the season there is no perm contract and he will be away back to Hull.

Also the initial post says that with the money we got in Jan surely we could get an experinced and better coach/manager. I assume you are not happy with Lenny then? I have the upmost respect for Lenny for even having the Balls to step up to the plate. Especially after losing in the Cup semi's he still wanted the job. He has won his first 8 SPL games in a row. MON didn't even do that. Im not saying he is better or even as good as MON. But he does have a certain thing about him where he can get the best out of players. I believe he knows who he wants to keep and let go of and I expect plenty of activity over next month.

Hail Hail

Good Luck Lenny

17. KMD1951

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish, Davie Provan, Henrik Larsson
    I appreciate that some people are disagreeing over how much we might have what with player sales and money left over from January. However, I don't believe you would be far off the mark with what you have said and, as at the start of every season, there must be some additional money available for wages. So, taking into account that we may well have had to pay loan fees for Keane, Kamara and Braafhied, let say we have arounf £17.5 million and around £20k for wages plus about another £40k freed up from the players we have sold.

This means we could bring in the following players with their potential fees and wages in brackets. This is based on the figures most frequently quoted in the media:

Ramis (£2m, £25k)
    Cha Du-Ri (Free, 10k)
    Mulgrew (Free, 5k)
    Campbell (Free, £45k)
    Bullard (Loan, £45k)
    Eagles (£1.5m, 15k)
    Lawrence (£2m, 20k)
    Bellamy/Keane (£6m, £65k)

That's £11.5 m in fees and £230k in wages. Therefore, the £190k shortfall in wages could be partly funded from the £5.5 million left from transfer kitty.

If we manage to move on Hinkel and some of the fringe players such as O'Dea, Sheridan and Wilson, then this money cold be used to bring in another left back.

I think that would be a pretty strong squad added to the players still here. For left-back we could look at Kyle Naughton from Spurs or Safari from Basle.

18. emmetf

naughton is a right-back

19. higgyd

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    get boruc to sign a 3year deal then tell him to put in a transfer request just what petrov done same with hinkel. that puts the cash up simples

20. jigraptor

I dont think its as simple as transfer money in = transfer money available

For example I think when the opportunity came to take Keane on loan last season it would have happened whether McDonald etc were heading out or not.

I think Lennon will be given a budget to work from, but we can only guess what it is, and wont necessarily be related to past transfer dealings.

But I think any scouts we have will be instructed to identify targets which aren't gonna cost much

If Lennon identifies any other targets he wants, if the right deal can be struck I'm sure the board will back him, regardless of previous dealings.

Equally if our wage bill is too high, Lennon will be asked to identify players who will be offered around to other clubs