1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctor venglos

Paul Dixon of Dundee United is a very talented left back, just what we need. If there is a better LB in Scotland I haven't seen him.

2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Michael Johnson?

The lad who has been boozing for 2 years and put on a lot of weight?

No way TG, no way.

3. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Also, Caicedo is terrible. Couldn't trap a bag of sand.

4. Tictical_Genius

Wouldn't imagine so, and may turn out to be even cheaper now that we have one of our men at the helm.

Because his stock is high, he would command a fee of around £8M-£10M. Not bad for a midfielder with poor passing ablility, little vision and a paltry scoring record.

5. Tictical_Genius

If this lad had'nt dropped by the wayside, then we would have absolutely no chance of signing him, he'd be at either Arsenal or Liverpool by now. So, yes he has had some problems, however he only needs to look at his teammate Stephen Ireland to see that these are not insurmountable.

A scoring ratio of around 1 in 3 at a premiership side for a 20 year old suggests otherwise

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

He will still cost a fair bit, talented yes but also troubled. Had injuries and basically drank, there's even rumours of drugs etc.

[​IMG]

I still don't rate him. Think he is too clumsy

7. Tictical_Genius

I suspect so too. Looking at the list I put forward, i'd say we'd be doing well to get the 5 players for £20M or thereabouts. I suspect TM has a budget of about £8M with the sales of the other players making up the shortfall (The majority of that by offloading Brown to the unsuspecting English).

I think we just need to agree to disagree on Caicedo, however I would add that in general i'd like to see us show more ambition in the transfer market than looking at mediocre SPL fodder like Wallace, Dixon, Arfield, Sandaza et al who would in no way improve our squad other than adding extra numbers.

8. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Like for us to try and get Marco Streller . Big target man which we need

9. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Streller is a bit of a donkey i think mick, remember in the Euro's he was awful

10. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    I just seen 6ft5 and 11 goals in 26 games for Switzerland tbh :56: Cant member seeing much of him

11. OC

Pavlyunchenko, Janko or Gignac for our striker.

12. Tictical_Genius

I like your ambition, however, Pav's way way outwith our price range, both in fee and wages while Gignac is an EPL target.

Janko is the most likely out of those three, though Gordon Strachan, when bemoaning wages in the game, said "You can go to Austria and find people on £40k a week", around the time preliminary discussions with Janko were held. We might be able to accomodate him now with the likes of Balde, Naka, JVOH & Hartley off the wage bill. Still, I reckon we'd need to shell out the thick end of £7M for him, if not more.

13. OC

But all these guys are younger and better than Fortune, which would come in package with N'Guemo for 7 millions. I think that Janko's most realistic for us, while we can bid for Pavlyuchenko, it can't hurt, maybe we get lucky. As for Gignac, I haven't heared the reports linking him with EPL, but I'm sure that he'd do well where ever he goes 'cause he's brilliant.

Maybe Gudjohnsen? Icelandic magician would be great here, despite his age. Although wages... Our eternal problem...

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

15. McCulloch1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony & Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Everyone would like too see more ambition especially me but the realism is Arfield, Dixon etc are what we can go for without any problems being extorted for wages, fee's and so on not too mention they are proven at our bread and butter!

Nothing wrong with a punt on young talent, we have got to take a chance on young Scottish players like these more often in this day and age in football imo with the occasional gamble on an expensive foreigner.

16. Tictical_Genius

I really, really, really, hope that we do not go anywhere near Fortune, dunno anything about N'Guemo at all, other than the supposed offer is 7 million Euro's not pounds, is performance related and not all up front. Gignac linked with both ManU & Villa (though ManU may cool any interest after signing Owen)

If we could get Janko at £7M, i'd prefer that to the £6M double signing of Fortune & N'Guemo

Would depend on the money required for me, he's 29 now so would have little resale value.

17. Tictical_Genius

The thing is, how much better is Paul Dixon than say, Milan Misun, or Scott Arfield compared to Mark Millar or Simon Ferry? I'd suggest there is little between them, and these are our reserve players. We already have plenty of young talented players who can't make the first team, I don't see the need to bring in more.

In another thread, I see you looking at Caicedo on loan, I like this guy too. He's only 20 but already has a lot of full international caps, probably more than the likes of Sandaza, Arfield, Dixon & Wallace will ever earn combined.

18. OC

I don't know anything about that duo either. As for Gignac, I don't think he'd realistic, honestly, but still worth of mention.

Gudjohnsen will be turning 31 this year, so that makes his pricetag even smaller. He's pretty realistic option, but I think he'd come only if Barca tells him that he isn't required anymore. As far as his situation developes, I think he'll get some minutes at Barca, at least coming on from the bench.

19. AnthonyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fortune & Maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    i think that lee wallace from hearts would be a great signing for us as he is a left back and a good one of that.

20. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Menseguez was outstanding for West Brom in the few games he started near the end of the season looked fantastic , im sure Tony will be looking at him as he had a deal to sign him for them on the table after the loan ,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.