1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth/Development Team Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2014.

Discuss Youth/Development Team Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Liam Morrison in talks over a new deal.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  3. Keano88

Great to see.

Thought he was definitely offski to Bayern.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON has issued a hands-off warning to Bayern Munich over youngster Liam Morrison.

The 16-year-old centre-half is wanted by Bundesliga giants Munich and Hoffenheim.

But Lennon insists Morrison - who made his debut against Pinkafeld last week - is staying put.

He said: “That’s not going to happen.

There is interest from Germany but Liam’s our player and we want to develop him.

“We’re not accepting any, or open to any, offers for him.

I think we’re in negotiations over a new contract.

“It’s too early to say with him but he’s doing really well. He played well last Wednesday night.

“We’re very pleased with his progress.”

Morrison was one of a raft of kids given the chance to impress by Lennon during the pre-season trip.

Karamoko Dembele and Armstrong Oko-Flex are among the other teenagers around the first-team squad.

Ewan Henderson, Stephen Welsh and Irish kid Barry Coffey are others who have been given a chance to shine.

Lennon said: “They’ve got talent and we want to look after that.

“They are young and you don’t want them to run before they can walk.

“We like to have them in and around the squad as it’s good for their development.

“You have to go softly, softly with them at times as it’s about physical development too.

We’re delighted with the talent they have. We think they are future players possibly.

Karamoko is very, very special for his age. But again you don’t want to hype him up as he’s already had a lot of publicity.

“We’ll just keep him ticking along in the background and he’ll come along the way he should do.”

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Wonder what kind of team we will put out v Arbroath today. Maybe see the new signings get 30mins.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Looks like Morrison is away FFS

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Liam Morrison is on the brink of signing for Bayern Munich.

The 16-year-old was included in the Celtic squad that travelled to Austria and Switzerland as Neil Lennon attempted to convince the defender to sign a professional contract with the hoops.

Morrison played the second half of the 6-1 win over Pinkafeld then played the full match as a Celtic XI beat St Gallen u-21 side 9-1.

Celtic had hoped that would convince him to stay with the club but VideoCelts understands that Morrison has decided to take up the offer of a three year contract with Bayern Munich. Morrison wasn’t in the Celtic side that lost 1-0 today at Arbroath.

The decision to opt for Bayern is as much a slight on Scottish football as it is on Celtic, with no real pathway from youth to first team football.

After u-16 and u-18 level last season’s Reserve League provided just 17 matches with players left kicking their heels for weeks on end between matches.

https://videocelts.com/2019/07/blogs/latest-news/celtic-lose-young-defender-to-bayern-munich/

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

* sake. Potentially the first decent centre half we’ve produced in years and he’s off.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That is * poor IMO, particularly after ‘that’s not going to happen’ from Lenny.

Hopefully it’s nonsense.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I was thinking earlier why he wasn't in the side at Arbroath and thought maybe he was away with the senior's to Sarajevo..

That's * that. Especially since he's a Tim and in a position that we're short..

He likely would've broken through for a few game's this season alone domestically..

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ffs.

I blame the absolute amateurs who run our game..

We should be looking to implement the Dutch, German and Belgian models.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It doesn't make sense why he said that if this has happened..

He was free to go and sign a development elsewhere if I'm right so why Lenny was saying he deffo wouldn't be going doesn't add up..

JC Anton likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Does make Lenny look a bit stupid too tbh. (if true)

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Canny really blame him.

We’re absolute amateurs at developing kids compared to the Germans.

15. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    To be honest if I was in his position a chance to sign for Bayern Munich would be too good to turn down. Moving to Germany, learning a new language, experiencing a different culture and footballing culture. Plus the chance to play in the German leagues, it would be hard to say no

saltire78 likes this.
  16. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Lenny might have said that hes staying, but is it not down to the player at the end of the day. Probably sat down with NL and told him he was staying then next day changed his mind, heads probs all over the place! I know mine would be if Bayern Munich were wanting me at 16 YEARS OLD

17. saltire78

That's a warped way to view it... I'd say we're decent for development at the moment, but no shame in saying that other places; such as Bayern, appear better.
    We're about 10-15 years into really developing our youth setup, and it's only really getting to the point where we are seeing the conveyor belt coming through. There's another 10ish before we'll be viewed like an ajax or a bayern for youth development, if we ever are. Until then, we're going to lose some of them along the way

18. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Can't do. Anything about it, Lenny said they ain't accepting an offer and they haven't.

19. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    For some reason I forgot about the whole, Club needing to accept an offer thing :56: Been up since 3:30 right!

Be Epic if we kept him, swear if hes that good I'd be looking for him jumping in front of Hendry at some point this season .

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

The boys family is Celtic daft as well but then you look at how many youngsters come through the German leagues because of their set up but he wont get anymore of a chance at Bayern compared to us. If anything now is the perfect time for him to get playing time with us considering we only have 3 centre backs and a Jack Hendry.