1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth/Development Team Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2014.

Discuss Youth/Development Team Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. johnnyryan

Really talented young player, watched him bossing the midfield in junior games at 15 against experienced lads who were nearly twice his age and playing junior ball for 10+ years.

ScouseHoops and Mr Shelby like this.
  2. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Wonder will they pay in installments?

Peej likes this.
  3. shaunm

The lad Kelleher has signed for oxford

4. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Decent move considering he was playing for Peterhead last season? Don't think he's ever played a game in the Scottish Championship let alone the Prem? Best of luck to him tho.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Oxford United have completed the signing of defender Fiacre Kelleher from Celtic on a two-year-deal, with a further one year option.

The 21-year-old centre half, six foot five, is from Cork and has previously been on stand-by for the Republic of Ireland squad while also spending time on loan at Peterhead. He told us:

“I’m really pleased to be joining. It’s a fantastic club and they have done really well over the last few years. At this stage in my career I want to test myself, be part of the first team and play regularly. Now I’m looking forward to joining up with the lads in pre-season.”

Chairman Darryl Eales said:

“Fiacre is one of the players we had talked about at length and one that Michael and the recruitment team had identified as an excellent defender with bags of potential. With Curtis Nelson, Charlie Raglan and Aaron Martin already here we are going to have plenty of competition for the defensive positions.

“It is a deal that had been in the pipeline for a few weeks and we are delighted to welcome Fiacre to the club.

“We are very aware of the speculation regarding the managerial situation but we never lose sight of our overall plan which remains to build a strong and successful team for the coming season. Work goes on behind the scenes in all departments as ever, and our scouting and recruitment staff continue to excel in bringing exciting young players with fantastic attitudes to Oxford United.”

6. johnnyryan

Anyone know what Brandon Payne is like? He's on trial with my local club at the moment.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC’S Head of Youth Chris McCart says the pathway to Paradise isn’t over for the young players who have left the club in the summer.

Eoghan O’Connell, Theo Archibald and Josh Kerr have been sold to Bury, Brentford and Brighton respectively, while Fiacre Kelleher has joined Oxford United.

And Aidan McIlduff, Shaun Bowers, Brandon Payne, Connor McManus and Luke Donnelly have all departed the club. Praising their efforts during the time in the Celtic Youth Academy, Chris McCart explained the reasons behind their exit to the official Celtic website.

“They have all been very committed and dedicated and they have all played a large part in the success of the young squad,” said McCart in an exclusive interview.

“Some of them have been out on loan for the latter stages of their development, but there comes a point when you have to compare them to first-team players and if they will get an opportunity at Celtic. If they aren’t, then to be fair to them, they need to be given a different pathway.

“Charlie Mulgrew came up through Celtic and he had to go different way, but after four or five years he ended up coming back to Celtic. Sometimes that is the pathway. They can’t all be James Forrest or Kieran Tierney who go straight from the Academy to the first-team.

“Callum McGregor took a different pathway in that he came through the Academy and went on loan to Notts County and then came back. We see the Kieran Tierney and Callum McGregor routes as the two options, but sometimes they have to leave Celtic and grow and develop and then hopefully one day the can come back.

“Not everyone can take the perfect route as James and Kieran and they have to go and test themselves like Callum or go down a more difficult pathway like Charlie Mulgrew, but if they keep progressing, they can get back to the standard of Celtic.

“The standards are so high here with the first-team: they have to be Champions League footballers, play in a winning side every week, play a certain type of football and play under that pressure of taking the ball, producing and entertaining the fans.

“There are many different pathways, but even for those who have left, we want to make sure one day they can come back Celtic and hopefully the grounding they got here will afford them that opportunity.”

Despite the departures, the majority of last season’s Development Squad remain in place from last season, including Mark Hill and Michael Johnston, who both signed new contracts towards the end of the season.

Following in the footsteps of James Forrest, Callum McGregor, Kieran Tierney and Liam Henderson and cementing their place in the first-team squad will be aim of all the young Celts over the next 12 months.

“A strong nucleus is there,” said McCart. “We signed up Michael Johnston and Mark Hill and we have two excellent young goalkeepers in Conor Hazard and Ross Doohan, while there is a sprinkling of players throughout the Development Squad who have had the odd game with the first-team and hopefully they can go and build on that this year - the likes of Michael Johnston, Anthony Ralston, Calvin Miller, the goalkeepers I have mentioned, and Jack Aitchison.

“You just hope the players can come through, keep working hard and meet the challenge. It’s a big challenge to go and stay in there but the rewards are there for them, and there are the great examples of Kieran, James, Callum and Liam who have got to that level.

“They need to make sure they don’t take their eye off it in the sense of their development and continue to look at the bigger picture. It’s such a high ask to play for Celtic’s first-team that they can’t lose time with their development. They must stay committed and take responsibility for their development and hopefully they get their rewards for that.”

ScouseHoops likes this.
  8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    All those youngster who have moved for development fees probably cover a 1/3 if not half the cost of Hayes

freederry20 likes this.
  9. shaunm

How many of our youth are just Squad fillers and how many actually have potential to be first team regulars?We spend a lot on youth development,st Ninians etc,guys like Miller and Nesbitt have been made out to be special talents,doesnt look like they will make it here imo,is the coaching good enough?for the money put in are the club getting value for money?Im not expecting half a dozen youngsters to break through every year btw,I think the club should expect a better level of player coming through though,even the ones who don't make it.Oconnell(Bury)Kelleher(Oxford)Archibald(Brentford)Kerr(Brighton)I accept Brighton are in the Premiership,hope it works out for him,these bhoys are the highlights,the rest will be in the lower leagues of Scotland if they are lucky,not good enough imo.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Oxford, Bury, Brighton and Brentford..

Seriously, they are not bad moves for any of those boy's who clearly were surplus here..

English league 1, Championship and Premier League. Not too discouraging for other's who maybe just a level or 2 below us eventually..

ScouseHoops likes this.
  11. shaunm

I agree mate,these 4 boys have done pretty well,but most will end up lower leagues of Scotland,I think we should be producing more ready first team players,alot of top teams over Europe,if a youngster isn't good enough they go for a few million,we release them.With the investment we are making we should be producing a few Scottish national team level players every year imo.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I do agree about getting fee's. No sure if we've received any for these but if they aren't good enough I'd like to see us start getting something. It's why I always want kid's to be loaned to England. Better standard and hopefully they make it, if not, they've been in the shop window long enough..

No point with Scotland for too long as there is just no money and not much to gain in it for us. Plenty for the team's taking them though and why Scotland is flooded with ex Celtic academy player's..

O'Connell was wanted publicly by Walsall and their manager and Bury. Should be getting money however small for boy's like that. McGregor one season in league 1 tearing it up and Wolves were bidding or reported to be for a mill..

13. shaunm

I know he didn't come through youth team and was part of a deal but if Ryan Christie doesn't make it here,his value would be much higher playing English championship than Aberdeen imo,him and Henderson should both have been sent to Championship as both are good enough and would command a good few if we were to sell.

ScouseHoops and McChiellini.. like this.
  14. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Deffo. We talk up average players too much and don't assess the end product and results properly.

How do we go from U13 CL Winners to having our youth Plateau out later in their development?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    His wage be covered as well.

16. shaunm

Which youth players have a chance of breaking through this season?I really think Tony Ralston has a chance,he looks ready for first team football,big preseason for him imo.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Dundee United announced on Friday the signing of wide player Paul McMullan. The 21-year-old joins United on a two-year contract.

Paul has represented Scotland at U16, U17, U19 and U21 levels.

The winger came through Celtic’s youth Academy and has enjoyed loan periods at Stenhousemuir, St Mirren, Greenock Morton and Dunfermline.

He joins James Keatings, Billy King and Thomas Scobbie as Manager Ray McKinnon’s summer signings so far and will wear the Tangerine until June 2019.

Paul said, “I was aware of United’s interest from the end of the season, and It was a case of coming back from holiday and waiting on the club’s agreeing on the deal. The Manager spoke to me and explained how he wants to play and what my role would be, and it appealed to me. I see this as a fantastic opportunity for me to progress my career at a great Club.

“I would like to think the United fans will enjoy my style of play as I am very direct and enjoying creating chances. I am looking forward to doing all I can to help the Club secure promotion this season.”

Manager Ray McKinnon said, “Paul is an excellent attacking option, and once I realised that he might be available, I worked quickly to make it happen. It is important that we bring in the right players to ensure a balance within the squad and today’s signing gives us greater options out wide.”

“Paul is the right age, wants to play his part in securing promotion for United, and his style will entertain fans, he is an old-fashioned winger. He has incredible pace and will drive at defenders. He gives us another exciting attacking option, and I am delighted to bring him to Tannadice.”

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Playing Annan Athletic in the First round of the Irn Bru cup.

Game to be played on Tuesday 15th/Wednesday 16th August.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC’S Colts have been drawn once more against Annan Athletic in the 2017/18 IRN-BRU Cup with the away game being scheduled to be played on Tuesday, August 15 or Wednesday, August 16.

The 24 first-round winners will be joined in the second round by Inverness CT and Falkirk as well as Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers from the League of Ireland, Crusaders and Linfield from the NIFL, and the New Saints and Gap Connah’s Quay from the Welsh Premier League.

Last season in the inaugural term of the introduction of Colts sides to the senior tournament, Tommy McIntyre’s Under-20 Celtic side beat Annan Athletic 5-1 and Cowdenbeath 2-1 before falling 5-1 to League One outfit, Livingston.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

TOMMY McIntyre’s young Colts now look forward to a trip to Galabank to take on League Two side, Annan Athletic in the opening round of the IRN-BRU Cup.

The tie is a repeat of the first round last season when the Hoops Under-20s, under the name of Celtic Colts, took part in the revamped tournament for the first time and made their bow against Annan at Cappielow in a home tie for the young Celts.

The visitors took a first-minute lead but the Hoops led 3-1 by half-time and finished the game as 5-1 victors.

Speaking immediately after today’s (Tuesday’s) draw in Coatbridge, coach McIntyre said: “Looking at the teams, this season in particular with there being no seeded teams, it was always going to be a tough draw.

“But we know that, so we’re in it because of the challenge and it will be no different this year. We’ve drawn Annan Athletic, who we played in the same round last year, and they will be hoping to maybe get one back on us.

“They’ll be well-organised as they’ve got a new management duo of Peter Murphy and Kevin Rutkiewicz and they’ll be keen to hit the ground running.

“It doesn’t matter who you get, though, the most important thing for us the experience our young players will gain.”

Annan player/manager, Murphy and his assistant Rutkiewicz have taken over a Galabank side that finished third in League Two last term and just missed out in a League One play-off battle with Forfar.

However, the Celtic Colts will be looking to harness the experience gained last term when they also beat Cowdenbeath 2-1 before Livingston won 5-1 on their own patch.

McIntyre added: “We went in unknown last year and as much as we got some plaudits at the beginning, we kind of got our comeuppance when we went out and played Livingston.

“They were an excellent side but we played against tough teams and the journey last year was really exciting. The games were televised, which was good again for the young players and it will be no different this year.

“We are a wee bit wiser this year in terms of the tournament and hopefully we can acquit ourselves as well as we did last year.”

The tie is scheduled to be played on Tuesday, August 15 or Wednesday August 16 and the 24 first-round winners will be joined in the second round by Inverness CT and Falkirk as well as Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers from the League of Ireland, Crusaders and Linfield from the NIFL, and the New Saints and Gap Connah’s Quay from the Welsh Premier League.

There’s plenty there for the youngsters to aim for with the coach excited that his charges will be pitting their wits at an early age against experienced senior players.

He said: “It’s getting the challenge. It’s about bridging the gap between the youth and first team. This is one of a couple of things that are in the pipeline in order for us to do that, and it's one that we welcome.

“It is tough, it's a tough challenge and that’s the reason why we are in it, because our young players need that tough challenge.

“They need to understand what it's like to play and that's the reason why we’ve campaigned for a Colts’ league and hopefully that will bear fruition, as that will be another step forward.”