1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth/Development Team Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2014.

Discuss Youth/Development Team Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan and his back room team watched the game.

Kieran Tierney and Callum McGregor watched the game as well Peter Lawwell.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lawwell watching from his head office..

Marty McFly likes this.
  3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It's good to beat the uglies at all levels ............:34:

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

A DELIGHTED Tommy McIntyre hailed his young players for producing a dominant display on the big stage to lift the SFA Youth Cup tonight at Hampden.

The young Hoops were always in control against their Rangers counterparts and they secured the silverware for the club for the 15th time after a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Captain Sam Wardrop put the Bhoys in front with an excellent finish seven minutes before the break and Calvin Miller added a second on the stroke of half-time.

It was thoroughly-deserved lead for young Celts and they continued to boss proceedings in the second period, and Aidan McIlduff extinguished any hopes the Ibrox side had of mounting a comeback with a third goal.

Speaking exclusively to the official website after the final whistle, McIntyre said: “I am really delighted. We didn’t play as well as we would have liked but it is a cup final so there were a few nerves there. We had a good blend of experience and youth with some U17 and U18 players.

“We dominated the game. Sometimes it wasn’t pretty but it was great to see things such as the second goal which was straight off the training ground - getting over the block. The first goal was from a set-play, which was good, as we had done a lot of work on them.

“The longer the game went on, we grew into it and started to control the game in a more pleasing manner, dictating the play and it was more structured, and we could have scored one or two others.

“We had a wee word with them at half-time and the second half was an improvement. Once we started to play the way we had spoken about, you could see the difference in the game.

“They (Rangers) were always going to make some changes, whether it was a change in system or personnel, which they did do. But I felt we controlled and managed the game. We never allowed them to get in and if anyone was going to get another goal it was us. They started to leave gaps open at the back which we did expose.

There were a number of stellar showings from the young Celts at the National Stadium in an impressive collective performance, with McIntyre highlighting the contribution of right-back Anthony Ralston, who was made a telling impact going forward and defensively.

“I thought Mikey Johnston was a real handful, Calvin came onto a game and Anthony Ralston was outstanding,” said the Professional Academy Manager. “He was great in terms of defending and attacking. The back-four and the goalkeeper were in control. Collectively, as a team they struck to their task - they controlled the game and they won the game, and they thoroughly deserved it.”

Coming six days after the Glasgow Cup final victory, this latest silverware success capped off a memorable week for the Celtic Youth Academy. And McIntyre says everyone within the club’s youth setup deserved credit for this latest achievement.

“I am really pleased, even for the sports science and the nutrition as everything about how the players are developing has been really good, and it was good for the backroom staff, who take a lot of credit as well.

"It’s great for the Academy. You sometimes forget that to get this level with the Development Squad, the players have gone through the Academy structure, and the coaches, staff and everyone connected with the club do a fantastic job. It’s about them as well, not just the immediate staff, as everyone pulls together as we have the same to aim to develop successful, hungry players for Celtic.”

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC have agreed a deal to let Theo Archibald join Brentford.

SunSport Online told on April 13 the Bees were trying to tie-up the 19-year-old on a three-year contract.

It’s understood the way has now been paved for the attacking midfielder to move to Griffin Park after a compensation figure was agreed between the sides.

The switch will be completed once Archibald has played his final game on loan at Albion Rovers.

Archibald has been at Cliftonhill since January but caught the eye playing for the Hoops’ under-age and development teams.

He netted a stunning strike against Manchester City in the UEFA Youth League earlier this season, which helped bring Championship Brentford to the table.

Archibald came off the bench in the second half as the Hoops won the Youth Cup Final on Wednesday night.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic Youth Cup hero Aidan McIlduff vows to bounce back from his Hoops release

WEDNESDAY’S SFA Youth Cup triumph was bittersweet for Celtic starlet Aidan McIlduff.

The left-back scored with a determined drive in the 3-0 rout of Rangers, having turned in an all-action man of the match performance.

His showing masked the personal pain of someone who has just been told he has no future with the Hoops.

The 20-year-old will leave this summer when his contract expires, and he’s enlisted the help of a sports psychologist to help ensure he bounces back from this blow stronger than ever.

McIlduff said: “You have to enjoy nights like Wednesday and not take them for granted.

“It’s been a tough couple of weeks for me, since I was told I’d be leaving.

“Chris McCart sat me down and basically said there wouldn’t be a first-team opportunity for me and that’s fine. I know that’s the nature of football.

“Part of me saw it coming and when Calvin Miller got his chance, playing out of position at left-back, I did wonder.

“Because I’ve been associated with Celtic for so long it’s obviously been hard to take but I know I need to use it as motivation to drive me on.

“I wanted to clear my head and do as well as I could in the Youth Cup Final and I feel like I managed that. I did myself proud.

“I think it’s helped that I’ve been going to see a sports psychologist, who has helped with the mental side of the game.

“I went to see him on the back of reading what a difference Ryan Fraser felt it made, as he’s obviously managed to make the jump from Aberdeen to Bournemouth and come through some testing times.

“No-one can really prepare you for the situation I’m in now, but I saw him the day before the Youth Cup Final and he just told me to focus on my game, my role within the team and to think about the positive things I’d done in the past.

“He told me it was my time to shine and to take my opportunity. Hopefully someone was impressed.”

“Chris McCart sat me down and basically said there wouldn’t be a first-team opportunity for me and that’s fine. I know that’s the nature of football.

“Part of me saw it coming and when Calvin Miller got his chance, playing out of position at left-back, I did wonder.

“Because I’ve been associated with Celtic for so long it’s obviously been hard to take but I know I need to use it as motivation to drive me on.

“I wanted to clear my head and do as well as I could in the Youth Cup Final and I feel like I managed that. I did myself proud.

“I think it’s helped that I’ve been going to see a sports psychologist, who has helped with the mental side of the game.

“I went to see him on the back of reading what a difference Ryan Fraser felt it made, as he’s obviously managed to make the jump from Aberdeen to Bournemouth and come through some testing times.

“No-one can really prepare you for the situation I’m in now, but I saw him the day before the Youth Cup Final and he just told me to focus on my game, my role within the team and to think about the positive things I’d done in the past.

“He told me it was my time to shine and to take my opportunity. Hopefully someone was impressed.”

McIlduff’s spent the second half of the season on loan at Queen’s Park, where his older brother, Brendan, once worked as a respected youth coach.

He hopes to draw inspiration from a former Spiders stand-out, who has been in his shoes.

He added: “Andy Robertson is clearly the ultimate example for someone like me.

“It’s well documented that it didn’t work out for him, for whatever reason, at Celtic and he rebuilt his career at Queen’s Park.

“He got his head down, worked hard and never stopped believing and it took him very quickly to Hull City and the full Scotland team via Dundee United.

“That’s how I have to look at this, that I’ve had a setback but it’s not the end of the road.

“I know I’ll do a really good job for the next manager who takes a chance on me. They won’t regret it.”

8. GMS

Seems like a good bunch we have coming through and alot seem to be proper homegrown Scottish bred.

Anyone noticed though the lack of foreign youngsters 15-18 we have on the books though.

In days gone by we had the Twarzdics, Kurakins, Atajic, Koki Mizuno, the Italian CB (from Inter?).

I can get youd ask why change a winning formula, but should we not be signing at least 1 or 2 foreign 15-17 year olds for the development team? I'll be honest when I thought Ajaer was a first team player.

What do you guys think would it not be worthwhile to bring at least 2 foreign 16 year olds through per year?

9. shaunm

Just read that McIlduff is being released,any idea who else is getting let go?

10. shaunm

I think we need to make changes at youth level,im sure McIlduff was out on loan at 16 to Clyde and Barry Ferguson was raving about him,he comes back and stagnates in youth football.We have the best youngsters in the country but vast majority don't get a sniff of first team football,we should have youth teams up until under 17s then after players should go on long term loans,playing first team football at a level that suits the player.If mcIlduff had stayed a Clyde another season and then went to another team in a higher league he would be a better player than he is now imo.

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If you bring through and develop scottish talent ts easier on first team when it comes to making up champions league and Europe coz you need a few homegrown scottish players in side

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

12. shaunm

Brendan Rodgers demonstrated that not all Celtic cup wins over Rangers are equal yesterday when he slated his club’s under-17 side despite their triumph in the Glasgow Cup final. The under-17s won the trophy with a 2-1 victory at Firhill last week but Rodgers said it was a “poor” game in which the standard was “awful”. On Thursday Celtic’s under-20s defeated Rangers 3-0 in the final of the Scottish Youth Cup at Hampden. While Rodgers enthused about the performances of a number of his club’s youths at the National Stadium, declaring 6ft 7in keeper Conor Hazard to have a “big future”, comparing full-back Anthony Ralston to Danny McGrain and stating forward Mikey Johnston was a “real big talent at 17”, he was damning about what he had witnessed the previous week. “The under-17s final was a poor game. In terms of Scottish football the standard was awful. “There were some good players in both teams and the kids won, which was great, and there was two or three moments of quality. But the overall level of quality wasn’t good. I have seen some good kids up here and it’s a good level. But they would have to play better football than that.“The under-20s the other night was a good game. They showed good tactical awareness and played at a good level, in terms of speed, organisation with their pressing, they got the ball back quickly and were fast getting forward. It was good. The progress will come with the 17s but we need to influence it even further down to eventually produce it at the top level. There’s a big difference if you want to produce players for Scotland that allows the national team to do well.“I’m new here but it’s my job to help. We have brilliant coaches here at youth level with Chris [McCart] overseeing it, Tam McIntyre and Michael [O’Halloran] with the 17s, their assistants, they have great enthusiasm and energy. But we’re trying to take a different path.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...17-final-was-awful-says-celtic-boss-1-4431897
    Ralston like McGrain? would love to see him make it at rb,Ralston and Tierney as full backs would be great.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    McIlduf is older than Tierney.

He's been absolutely * for the last couple of seasons. He scored in the youth cup final, he's not Messi fucksake :giggle1:

Using him as an example to say that our academy is some sort of graveyard is baffling. McIlduff isn't one of the best players in the country. Mental how reactionary Scottish people are to one game as a whole is baffling. It'll be the same if the Huns somehow fluke a result tomorrow. You'll have people on here going mental saying they'll challenge us for the league next season.

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    One thing we really need to do is get better coaches/managers in at youth level.

O'Halloran especially is a dinosaur and it stands out anytime we play a European team. Hopefully Rodgers and Congerton can pluck a few decent coaches that will take the youths on another level like Rodgers has with the first team.

15. shaunm

Said he was rated highly at 16 bud and has stagnated playing youth football.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was he. By who?

Callum Waters was rated higher than him and Tierney by Lennon but anyone with a clue knew Waters was * and had no chance of being a first team player.

McIlduff went on loan to Clyde at 17 and done nothing. He was average. Don't know where you're getting that he was some sort of stand out from.

17. shaunm

The Clyde manager came out saying he was a good player,listen better players than McIlduff have been released in the past,my point is generally the best youngsters in the country will be at our club??If they are good enough, like McIlduff was to play for Clyde at first team level at 16/17 they should stay out on loan long term,rather than stagnate in youth football.

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    McIlduff was poor at Clyde when they were one of the worst teams in Scotland.

It's possible when he recovered from injury no other team wanted him. There's a reason we've been playing people like Miller and Archibald left back ahead of him in bigger games this season.

I'll say it again. He's older than Tierney. Just because someone is at Celtic as youth doesn't mean they're any good. By that logic Henderson would be a better player than Armstrong.

19. shaunm

Do you believe these boys are better playing youth football than going out on loan?

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Homegrown players don't have to be Scottish, they only have to have trained at the club for three years before a certain age, to be considered home grown.