1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth/Development Team Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2014.

Discuss Youth/Development Team Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aitchison takes advantage of defensive mistake and twists inside the box but drags his shot wide his shot

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic sub Hendry for Kouassi

Composed first hour as a Celt for the Ivorian who should be pleased with his performance

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hibs putting on the pressure now.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Martin booked for Hibs.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Archibald booked for Celtic

still 1-0.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic Sub Johnston for Archibald

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10 minutes to play still 1-0

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Final Hoops Sub Crossan for Aitchison.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

wonderful save from Hazard as he pushes a Murray strike wide

Fantastic solo run for Johnston and he plays a one-two with Thomson inside box but his shot is blocked

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Full Time Hibs 0-1 Celtic. Frantic finish from home side but Happy Hoops Handle Hibs with Kerr strike enough to head to the semis.

11. Priest

Good win for the youngsters :50:

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEW Bhoy Eboue Kouassi wore the Hoops for the first time as Celtic saw off Hibernian at the Oriam football complex in Edinburgh to secure their passage to the SFA Youth Cup semi-finals.

Josh Kerr scored the only goal of the game for the young Celts, the defender firing home just past the half-hour mark after Jack Aitchison had teed him up in the box.

And although Tommy McIntyre’s side were unable to add to their tally, they were able to withstand the home side’s attempts to find a leveller to leave them just one step away from the Hampden showpiece.

Kouassi, recruited from FC Krasnodar last month, was one of five changes to the Development Squad team that took on Hearts on Monday night. And the midfielder produced an assured performance on his first outing in the Hoops, playing just over an hour before being replaced by Regan Hendry.

Aidan McIlduff, Anthony Ralston, Theo Archibald and Joe Thomson were the other players to come into the starting XI. Fiacre Kelleher, Kerr McInroy, Hendy, Mikey Johnston and PJ Crossan were the players to drop out.

Clear chances were at a premium in the opening exchanges as both teams vied for supremacy, and the only meaningful sight of goal came in the 20th minute when Hibs defender Callum Davidson sliced a clearance over his own bar from Hill’s corner.

As the young Hoops started to grow in ascendency, Archibald shot wide from 25 yards and then the winger nearly turned provider when Thomson wasn’t far away from reaching his inviting cross.

In the 32nd minute, the young Hoops broke the deadlock. Aitchison fastened on to Hill’s throw-in and spotted Kerr in space. He rolled the ball into the path of the centre-half, who made no mistake.

Calvin Miller was off target from distance before the break, and Aitchison almost profited on a defensive error in the 58th minute, twisting and turning in the box and shooting wide, as the Bhoys sought the comfort of a two-goal cushion.

Their failure to add to their advantage gave the capital club renewed hope and they applied some late pressure in a desperate search for an equaliser. Conor Hazard had to make a terrific save to deny Innes Murray, the keeper pushing the former Celtic youngster’s shot wide.

At the other end, Johnston almost sealed the victory on the counter after a superb solo run and a one-two with Thomson.

And deep into stoppage time, Hazard had to make another superb stop to thwart Oli Shaw as the young Celts celebrated a hard-fought Youth Cup victory.

Swervedancer likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic V Motherwell in the next round.

Swervedancer likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

1-0 Win against Dundee tonight

Fiacre Kelleher's second-half goal earns the Bhoys the three points at Lennoxtown.

Swervedancer likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FIACRE Kelleher scored the only goal of the game as Celtic’s Development Side saw off Dundee tonight in torrential conditions at Lennoxtown to close the gap with league leaders Hibernian to five points, with three games in hand.

The defender stabbed home from close range just before the hour mark after PJ Crossan had flicked on Mark Hill’s corner.

Tommy McIntyre’s side had chances to add to their tally as they raised their game after the interval but Kelleher’s finish proved decisive.

January signing Eboue Kouassi made his second successive start for the young Hoops after playing an hour of the 1-0 win over Hibernian in the SFA Youth Cup on Friday.

And the midfielder showed some nice touches as he got another valuable 90 minutes under his belt in his bid to achieve full match sharpness.

McIntyre made four changes from the team that defeated Hibs, with Sam Wardrop, Connor McManus, Regan Hendry and Crossan all coming into the side at the expense of Anthony Ralston, Theo Archibald, Joe Thomson and Jack Aitchison.

Although the Bhoys dominated possession in the first half, they struggled to create meaningful chances in the driving rain and swirling wind.

Hendry tested goalkeeper Kyle Gourlay with a shot from 18 yards for the hosts, while Mark Smith headed onto the bar for the visitors as both teams went in at break on terms.

Celtic noticeably upped the tempo following the restart and began to apply sustained pressure on the Dundee defence.

An interception from Kouassi created the first opening of the second half for the hosts, with Aitchison having his final shot charged down down.

After Mark Smith had forced Conor Hazard into a low save at one end, the young Hoops were stung back into action and fashioned a flurry of chances – Aitchison had a shot deflected wide, Crossan headed straight at Gourlay and Josh Kerr was unable to convert at the far post from Hill’s deep corner.

But the breakthrough wasn’t long in arriving. After Crossan’s attempt had been deflected wide, Hill picked out the striker from the resultant corner and his header into the danger area was met emphatically by the onrushing Kelleher who applied the finish.

The momentum of the match had now swung firmly in Celtic’s direction. Down the left, Calvin Miller was starting to make inroads with some thrusting runs, while Hendry was starting to show his inventive spark in the final third.

The lively Hill, operating in a more unfamiliar right-midfield role, curled a free-kick wide and, from another set-piece. Kelleher almost grabbed a second goal after connecting with Kerr’s header

Aitchison could have killed off the Dens Park side’s resistance when teed-up in the box by Hendry but Gourlay was equal to his half-volley.

Hill was the fore again as the game entered its closing stages, the midfielder lashing the ball across the six-yard box, with Hendry just unable to get on the end of it.

And the Bhoys survived some late pressure to secure the spoils and return to winning ways in the league after the recent loss to Hearts.

Swervedancer likes this.
  17. Swervedancer Guest

Good to hear Eboue Kouassi has been playing well for the Young Hoops. It's a good test of match fitness and skill levels I think.

Sounds like the kind of conditions a defender would score the only goal, pure pishing down making it hard to play any creative football at all and in comes big Kelleher to thump the ball home, no messing about :50:

Was just agreeing with Paul about McCart at ICT and how he's quite good with his feet. Paul was saying that's true of a lot of our young players and it really is, the development squad are definitely producing players who are comfortable on the ball.

Trying to think of a list, I'll include McGregor and Forrest even though it's been a while but they came through the Academy and they both have good skills when in the mood. McGregor I would say is the most skilful. Forrest the most deadly when on form.

But Henderson really woke me up when we played St Johnstone, I knew he was a decent player but his balls skills are incredible. I mean some really world class touches. If he can develop a position to call his own in the next couple of years he could be one of our best players in a while. It's just learning to play the game though, that's a big step.

Aitchison seems to have good skills, just the right kind for a striker.

I would say Crossan has the best skills (apart from Henderson) out of all the youth team but that can be argued against I'm sure.

Miller seems to be very comfortable on the ball and most importantly he can put in a good cross. But making a good run then putting in a cross takes good ball control. I don't know what he's like one on one.

I thought Regan and Archibald were going to be players with good skills? I'm not seen them play in a while though.

Tierney has good skills, even though he mostly keeps it very simple with his precise passes into the box requiring great skill, he is capable of the Zidane kind of turn when he's fooled a few players with it.

Who else is good with the ball are their feet? I mind Lindsay scored a beauty against Sociedad in Ireland. I don't know if he has generally good skills like the rest of them though.

Nearly forgot young Karamoko, he looks pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet for his age.

Any others? Wonder who teaches them that. I know Broony's been an influence for Tierney so maybe for a lot of the rest of the youth. His passes are so understated though, if it was Mata making them everyone would be drooling in the press but because Broony is renowned as a warrior captain I think people underestimate his ball control and vision when it comes to passing.

Nesbitt looks good but I feel physically he's far off first team football at the moment. But against players of his own level he can produce some fantastic footwork and some amazing goals/assists. One of those players I really wanted to make it here.

Then our elder statesman Lustig must've been training with the youth team because all of a sudden he's playing like Rivaldo. Lead pipe Louis must be loving that.

Of course the outstanding skills expert is Tam Rogic who wasn't trained here but has been developing since he came. Definitely a better player now than what he first was. Must be great for the youth having players like that around because you can see them improvising little moves and then try to copy them.

Just feeling a wee bit proud at the moment because if there is one thing you want your Academy to focus on and teach it's a player being comfortable with the ball at their feet. Normally all other things can build from that. So even if we don't see them make it through to the first team I'm sure with those fundamentals they'll make a decent living out of the game. Looks like we have very good Academy Staff.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic V Motherwell 6PM Monday.

March Fixtures

Ross County Celtic
    Ross County (A)
    Fri, 3rd Mar 14:00
    SPFL Development League
    Celtic St Mirren
    St Mirren (H)
    Tue, 7th Mar TBC
    SPFL Development League
    Celtic Falkirk
    Falkirk (H)
    Mon, 13th Mar 18:00
    SPFL Development League
    Dundee United Celtic
    Dundee United (A)
    Fri, 17th Mar TBC
    SPFL Development League
    Celtic Rangers
    Rangers (H)
    Tue, 21st Mar TBC
    SPFL Development League
    Celtic Inverness CT
    Inverness CT (H)
    Tue, 28th Mar TBC
    SPFL Development League

19. Priest

Celtic vs Motherwell in the development league this evening

Hazard, Ralston, Wardrop, Kelleher, Miller, McManus, Kouassi, Archibald, Hendry, Johnston, Crossan

Subs: McAdams, Kerr, Henderson, Duffy, Watson, Diver.

20. Keano88

Kouasssiiii!!!