1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on the "Me too" movement

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by CalgaryBhoy, Jan 26, 2018.

Discuss Your opinion on the "Me too" movement in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Define "normal people" please. I think you'd find people who are ok with it hard to come by.

I'm hardly saying women should just shut the * up, quite the opposite. But when an actress who makes millions comes out and tells her harrowing story about how she was talked down to by an executive in the summer of 2005... excuse me for not feeling very remorseful.

I've had people very close to me fall victim to sexual assault, I've seen the damage that it causes first hand, its * terrible. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. But this whole movement has gotten completely taken out of context to the point where its less about equal rights across gender and more about "well were women so... * YOU". You can't classify sexual assault/rape and some of the allegations coming out in the same light. And if you disagree with feminism, it's often construed as being misogynistic.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  2. Aidan O’Shea

What about the men who are sexually assaulted? Where’s the voice for these chaps?

3. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Oprah Winfrey and Meryl Streep are evil.

The Thumb likes this.
  4. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I propose a men's movement:

"#Aye,Same".

ChrisMoh and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  5. Aidan O’Shea

I like it. It’s progressive.

6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    People are separated more based on economics (income, predominantly); race and religion. These are serious inequalities in UK society.

Gender inequality is not really something that exists in my view. Men and women have both advantages and disadvantages over each other based on their natural/biological attributes. They do not tend to be social constructs as opposed to the other inequalities I’ve mentioned.

The thing which is most prominently brought up by feminists is the sexual aspect of it. Sexual assaults and rape, for example, is bounded by common law unlike many other social inequalities. Sexual assault and rape is wrong. Who says otherwise?

7. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    20 year old female instagram narcissists/models/singers/actresses demanding this that and the other jumping on bandwagons for the sake of it , zero knowledge about the depth of the issue. "Lazy liberalism" is becoming so widespread among young people and in the media that alot of these "movements" lack sincerity .

KRS-1888 likes this.
  8. Sween

I havent heard anyone defend sexual assualt but like most crimes, assault included, people seem to recognise there are degrees of wrong doing. Punching someone in the nose is clearly wrong and torturing someone for days on end is wrong. You can condemn both while recognising a clear difference.

The 'me too' movement seems to have been started by people sharing stories of serious assault and rape. Things that the police can and will investigate. But then people jump on the movement telling how in 1987 a famous actor touched their * without permission, or someone use sexist language once in the 90s.

And if anyone dares suggest that this is very different from serious sexual assault the most vocal feminists scream 'misogyny'. All are wrong but feminists dont help their cause when they fail to distinguish between serious crimes being commited and more general inappropriate and impolite behavior. And once these hashtags become big enough it just becomes a fashion statement to be involved. They lose all meaning.

Fully87 likes this.
  9. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

It's the equal pay in work that irks me. The employee with the most experience, and better track record should be paid more regardless if that candidate is male or female.

The woman from the BBC who was the chinese/Asian correspondent left because her colleague male (USA correspondent) was getting nearly £100k per year more....

She was only with the company for 3 years, and was rarely seen in TV whereas the other guy had been with the company for 20+ years I think from memory and a prominent figure to boot.

If the complaint was the other way around it it was the male who was complaining, I'd say the same thing. Based on the information above, these two should not be on similar wages.

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  10. Murph-E

Like respect, not to be viewed as * objects and equal pay?

11. Murph-E

Companies in the north of Ireland discriminated against Catholics for decades and would often use the same excuse "we are simply hiring the person with more experience", with their 95% protestant workforce. The reason Catholics didn't have experience was because they weren't allowed in.

Fully87 likes this.
  12. Jeremie Frimpong

Trump was subject to that too, so I am not sure what your point is, mate. People who make inflammatory statements are generally unpopular; I have no sympathy for them.

13. Jeremie Frimpong

I think any movement that sees wrongdoers held to account is positive. A small number of people acting hypocritically or making false accusations does not and should not discredit the whole movement. The cynics are mostly easy to see through.

The only danger of which I can think is people not receiving fair trial. Provided that there is an assumption of innocence until trial (journalistically and judicially anyway), then I do not see what is wrong with it.

14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Of course we all know how men can behave around women,with all come across such dickheads but decent men luckily outnumber the dickheads and some.But there are also * women out there as well,ever witnessed some of the Hen nights,* * is all i can say.
    So really it is a people thing,there are good people,not so good people and bad people.This men v women does not help,we should be talking about people.

Aidan O’Shea and ChrisMoh like this.
  15. Jeremie Frimpong

Can anyone think of a single movement that is free of hypocrisy and misconduct?

16. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Yes the Siberian Onion Dancing Club:56:

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    My latest bowel movement.

CalgaryBhoy and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  18. Aidan O’Shea

An unsavoury comment, Minty. I expected better.

19. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Me too.

CalgaryBhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  20. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Well the voice should be from the men themselves. Some have come forward, like Kevin Spacey's sexual assault victims.

StPauli1916 likes this.