1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite Vietnam War film?

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Markybhoy, Aug 3, 2012.

Discuss Your favourite Vietnam War film? in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic abu

Full Metal Jacket is a brilliant film. The Drill Instructor in that is one of my favourite movie characters ever. I was * devastated when that * shot him :54: :56:

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He did deserve it though.... but I agree mate, the film went downhill after it :icon_mrgreen:

3. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Full Metal Jacket for me, a real masterpiece, only a genius like Kubrick could pull off shooting a Vietnam war picture in East London.

A lot of the drill sergeant's lines weren't even scripted, he was originally brought in as a consultant I believe, and he convinced Kubrick to give him the part even though it had already been cast.

The transition between the killing of the sniper and the singing of the mickey mouse song is the best part, two really dark and depraved scenes.

4. Pinstripe

Platoon for me. :icon_mrgreen:

5. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    FMJ is my favorite, I also remember a TV movie from thailand it was made by vietmenese veterans from both sides and did a great job showing the human element and how soilders from both sides were pawns forced to kill their countrymen by their leaders and commanders

6. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Don't think i've seen a single movie on this list ...... :icon_mrgreen:

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You! Movies! Go Now!

[​IMG]

:icon_mrgreen:

8. odonno

Platoon, even though Charlie Sheen's a *

9. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Can't pick a favourite. But I liked platoon, full metal jacket, and one for the after effects on the soldier born on the 4th of July. It shows how * the supposed heroes were treated when they got back to amercica with massive cuts to funding leading to many mental illnesses, alcoholism & drug abuse. Then onto Vietnam vets even leading protests against the war.

All very good movies at capturing the many traumatic aspects of the war.

10. ThisIsGhod

this may be a bit off the topic I absolutely hate American ww2 films they always get the credit for winning the war. In saving Private Ryan and Band Of Brothers they don't mention the British at all and that really * me off. who actually changed the tide of the war was the Russians.

11. Markybhoy

Must admit I'm quite surprised that Apocalypse Now is the only one without a vote so far. It's a classic film that.

12. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    I quite like born on the 4th of July, I've seen it a fair few times, if I could take Tom Cruise seriously it would probably be a contender for my top ten war films.

Saving Private Ryan is overrated, the opening sequence is about the only part of the film I enjoyed, the rest of it is really cringe-worthy at times.

Band of Brothers is a fantastic series, however, I can't find much fault in it.

13. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    Actually in band of brothers they do mention the british quite alot, but why should a film about an american unit mention the british, british movies dont always mention americans, and why would any movie set in france have russians in it, why dont you watch patton, the longest day or a bridge too far because it seems you are just basing your opinion of a claim you read on the internet

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The Deer Hunter, Cimino's masterpiece deserved every award it bagged at the oscars :50:

15. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    As much of a * as Tom Cruise is the guy can occasionally act.

16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Problem is, he is all too often busy - being Tom Cruise. You can probably count on 1 hand the films he has made where you think 'he was almost believable'. Simply, virtually since Top Gun he has just bought into his own hype.

Getting back on topic - when it comes to War films, for me it is more about the cerebral side than it is the actions of engagement. War often brings out both the very worst & the very best that humanity has to offer.

17. The The Hand

Got to be Apocalypse Now.

So much more than just another war / buddy / combat film - a genuine work of art.

Apart from Deerhunter, all the others trade a lot on the same old tired war movie stereotypes - even FMJ, and Kubrick was a * genius. But Apocalypse Now is right out there, it totally transcends the war movie genre, it's one of a kind.

18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Did you ever see Heart of Darkness? It's a documentary made about the making of that film - and you can see that the psychosis and the effects that making this film put all the cast & crew threw... Seeing Dennis Hooper tweaking out of his tree and Brando getting visibly * off, there is a scene where he chases after Hooper with a machete etc. Or even the opening scene - seeing Martin Sheen drugged and drunk, and actually physically hurting himself etc. Now wonder the film's tagline was a Film maker's apocalypse!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD1jkBL6NwA"]Heart of Darkness - YouTube[/ame]

19. Shaolin Monk

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We are Celtic Supporters
    Full Metal Jacket.
    Sergeant Hartman: Where in the * are you from anyway, private?
    Private: Sir, Texas, sir!
    Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog *, Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, private Cowboy! And you don't much look like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down!
    I've used that one on Surrey or Hampshire boys a lot, why? Coz it makes me feel like a big man,thats why.Ha:86:

20. monthehoops1888

I voted for The Deer Hunter that was amazing followed by Full Metal Jacket which was cracking as well...