Would rebranding change the way that Scottish football is perceived?

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Vertie, Dec 3, 2017.

Discuss Would rebranding change the way that Scottish football is perceived? in the Scottish Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Vertie Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Broad Black Brimmer
    What are your thoughts on rebranding Scottish football clubs - not drastically but enough to make them appear more attractive and professional? We’ve had several iterations of our own badge over the years, as have most other clubs, so it wouldn’t be that controversial.

I remember kids buying football kits, tracksuits, etc. of clubs that they had no attachment to because they looked good (Marseille and Valencia were unusually popular in Scotland for a time); if you’re a kid in Motherwell who enjoys having a kickabout down the park, but whose parents aren’t bothered with football, how likely are you to ask for a ham and mustard jersey with a factory on the breast for Christmas?

We are the worst at talking our own game up, but it doesn’t help that some of our top clubs look like they’ve used Microsoft Paint to design their badges (I hadn’t noticed it until recently, but Dundee United literally has a Times New Roman typeface on its badge).

It might seem insignificant, but I think it’s a relatively easy-to-implement and inexpensive change that could help to attract players and supporters, and, perhaps, greater investment in Scottish football.

Not all of the badges below are terrible, but it will give you an idea of how we might make Scottish football a bit ‘sexier’:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Vertie Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Broad Black Brimmer
    The designs aren’t mine, by the way, and I’m not sold on them all.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. Marty McFly Johnny Mac’s Roadie / Protégé Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Arbroath cannot change to that.

Ever.

In terms of the OP, can’t see this having any impact whatsoever mate. Good to think about ways of making our kids want a Scottish club top rather than a Barca one though :50:

Aidan O’Shea and Vertie like this.
  4. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

One thing that irritates me is marketing which plays up to scottishness. Like the sky sports adverts featuring kilts and bagpipes. Let's market out game as a moderately good professional league.

It's really tacky, I wonder if the Dutch version features hookers and clogs.

5. Cameron Miekelson 10IAR Gold Member

The media constantly put our game down. When every single outlet is basically saying the league means * all without the zombies, no wonder it's a complete shambles.

The marketing needs re-vamped, and new strategies to get punters through the gates.

Summer fitba makes complete sense to me. When there's no fitba on, folk are bored out their *. Your average English punter, imo, would surely switch over as they're just like us and would be happy to watch games. Could spark the interest of a decent amount, not all obviously, but you never know!

6. Minty1888

Yep, and I would start with the SPFL logo. I said it at the time when it was released but the Lion head shouldn't be facing away from SPFL, it has a connotation of "turning its back" on the brand.

[​IMG]

packybhoy and Minty like this.
  7. CASTLE Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Benko
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Clyde is one a * cracker, like a sexier Cork City.

Vertie likes this.
  8. Sean Daleer Celtic Glasgow Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Kilmarnock are a pinkie finger away from having two in the pink one in the stink.

Vertie likes this.
  9. Minty 2 x BOTB winner Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current: Griffiths, All time: Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    So we want to turn Partick Thistle into River Plate?

I think most of the original badges are fine and as has been said, new badge designs will do nothin in terms of the game's appeal.

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    First step to market our football brand would be to get rid of the two bloodsuckers. Regan and Doncaster. I said it before but two * that were involved in county cricket in England in charge of our affairs. Laughable. Clear the SFA out and have a completely fair voting structure to vote in a 10 man panel. Representatives of clubs from different divisions. And two top PR men worth a good wage to promote our football properly.

Britwell bhoy, Sween and Vertie like this.
  11. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Mind that old advert, one of the phrases for Kilmarnock "we have the best pies", then a few others.

\o/ likes this.
  12. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    My home team "upgraded" their badge.
    Went from this...

[​IMG]

to

[​IMG]

* *! change it back :55:

13. Tim-Time 1888 Winner UEFA Champs League Last 16 prediction comp Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I fail to see how changing (* about, lets be honest) with a Clubs badge will improve anything tbh, well other than cause protests from Fans groups.

14. Sean Daleer Celtic Glasgow Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don't think badges are the reason kids don't buy Montrose/Clyde strips.

15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Like them rugby clubs badges down south.

16. Bhoyo87 Banned!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A soldiers song
    Some of the upgraded badge designs do have that continental look about them , nice idea there.

Vertie likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist Gold Member Gold Member News Writer

It's a noble idea, but tinkering with badge designs isn't even anywhere remotely important in any proposed ideas to revamping Scottish football.

Outwith Celtic, Scottish football - from the upper echelons of it's powerbase, right down to the very bottom is corrupt and stuck in the dark ages.

The SFA is run by scheisters and imposters, crocks and reprobates.

The National team is an embarrassment. To not have qualified for a major tournament is unthinkable. And what do they do? Continue on with the same ol' model that has time after time failed spectacularly. They had Mark Wotte come in and try to impliment new ideas - he * off when he knew it was a hopeless task with zero back up. As did Brian McClair - who spent many years down working in England, with all the experience of working behind the scenes at one of the biggest and most progressive footballing clubs in World Football - Man u.

Malky Mackay as Performance Director, heading up "Project Brave"? Gimme * peace! What credentials does a bog-standard run of the mill football manager have that made him the leading candidate to analyse and put things in place to rejig the whole system? Absolutely hee-haw! Dinosaurs putting a dinosaur in charge :56::56::56:

Part time referees overseeing full-time club fitba just really does make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Far too many top flight (and lower flight teams) for a small country, and far too many leagues. Where possible, teams should be emalgimated, and the number of professional leagues should be cut to 2. A top tier league of 12 is an embarrassment, as is lower leagues of 10 teams.

A disgrace of a TV deal in Sky. As someone pointed out, the intro even is full of * bagpipes and kilts - what's the point in having your flagship league being played out to the tune of somecunt blowing on a bagpipe? Cringe.

At least BT do have decent coverage of this league, which hopefully they further increase their domination with Scottish football rights. if not, the SFA/SPL (or whoever the * is in charge of what) would find a set a baws under their kilts and start up their own TV coverage - could be as simple as having paid subscriptions via YouTube that covers the whole of Scottish fitba.

That leads me on to the highlight sport shows i.e. Sportscene. Disgraceful program that is so outdated it would make Rab C. Nesbitt's tartan wallpaper in the livingroom look futuristic.

The league split? Preposterous idea that a team can finish in the bottom half (after the split) with more points than a team above them in the top half is just a joke whichever way you look at it. The only saving grace is the newly-introduced play off systems - but even then it is so highly biased towards the team(s) from the top tier league.

I could go on and on and on, but it would be mostly pointless, as Scottish football will never change it's mentality.

HailHoopy, Vertie and packybhoy like this.
  18. Vertie Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Broad Black Brimmer
    It’s obviously not going to revolutionise Scottish football, but I think it would definitely change the way that Scottish football is perceived, particularly outwith Scotland.

I don’t think it would upset most fans at all (unless there’re wholesale changes). As I said, we’ve seen a number of iterations of our own badge:

[​IMG]

There are at least another four of those too.

It’s definitely important; it’s why Manchester City used to have three stars above its badge that were essentially meaningless (to appear more ‘continental’), and why it has been updated (to appear more ‘historical’).

19. Mr. Slippyfist Gold Member Gold Member News Writer

Do you think Man City would be more bothered about how * their league was, rather than how * their badge was?

20. Vertie Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Broad Black Brimmer
    Those were just the examples I found online, mate. I actually don’t think there’s much wrong with the Partick Thistle badge.

As I said above, I wouldn’t expect it to revolutionise Scottish football, but I think it’s undeniable that some clubs in Scotland appear amateurish as a result of poor marketing, whether in the form of badges, kits or sponsorship (although I accept smaller clubs have little choice when it comes to the latter).

It’s an extreme example, but one of these clubs plays in the Campionato Sammarinese di Calcio and the other plays in Serie A, and it’s immediately clear who plays where, even if you’ve never heard of the teams before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:giggle1:

Murph-E likes this.