1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup- France v Argentina - Last 16

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Marty McFly, Jun 29, 2018.

Discuss World Cup- France v Argentina - Last 16 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I agree he better than Ronaldo..

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I’m talking pish...:56:

Ask Argentina who is the greatest..

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I'm not saying you're talking pish for saying Maradona is better....but the whole "Maradona's shadow is too big for Messi" patter is pish.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That’s four WC finals tho.. it’s undeniable Messi has looked nervous in an Argentina shirt on the biggest stage of all..

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Maradona is literally a * in Argentina with Catholic like shrines all over the country in his dedication. Maradona was their own a boy from the slums. And nothing he could do wrong in their eyes. That Argentina side he was in he was the star with a very strong unit and their game raised a 100% when they knew he was on the pitch with them. He had the exact same effect with the Napoli team. This has been on Messi’s shoulders and he has been in Europe from the age of 13. Whilst MESSI has the most astonishing stats in football, Diego has the most interesting stats in life.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Possibly, they are different types of characters..

Messi has underperformed in Argentina shirt tho, no doubt for me..

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I'm referring to the team that played in this WC.

Argentina reached the final of the last WC did they not ?

Although Messi won the golden ball, i didn't actually think he was the best player tbh, as for previous tournaments i canny even remember lol.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The fact is the World Cup is the biggest stage and I’ve never seen anyone have an impact like Maradona did.. I’m too young to remember Pele but maybe some older people would argue that he was the greatest..

If Ronaldo was to inspire Portugal to World Cup glory this time the there would be a genuine debate that he was better than Messi, imo..

Markybhoy likes this.
  9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I could easily say vice versa though. Its a team sport. If the team is pish the individuals fall

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    If Harry Kane were to inspire Engurland to WC glory, would he be better than Messi ? :lol:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

NAW

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

You are the one who is using WC's as a yardstick :67:

For me what determines a truly great footballer is someone who can perform brilliantly on a consistent level over a long period of time, that's why both Messi and Ronaldo are always mentioned in the debate of who is the GOAT.

To maintain these standards is the hardest thing of all, i agree with you that the WC is the biggest stage in football, of course it is, but that and that alone shouldn't be the only measure of a players greatness.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  14. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Mbappe though, he'll be the top man in world football for the foreseeable future. What a talent when your blessed with that raw explosive pace, with good close control, the ability to beat a defender with good footwork and ice cool finishing you know you have a special talent.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Have a look at the stats at the end of the clip..

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Both Messi and Maradona are on similar levels in terms of ability, to compare them on the International stage is natural.. and this where Maradona edges the GOAT debate.. Maradona also inspired Napoli to Serie A glory against the odds when that was the best league in the World..

Messi may retire with more CL medals and Ballon Dor’s but there is glaring medal missing and that’s why the debate will always be there..

17. Markybhoy

At 1-2 I actually thought Argentina were going to pull it off. Sadly it wasn't to be. I feel a bit for Lionel Messi, he looked miserable for most of this tournament and I think the realisation that he's never going to win the World Cup really hit him at the end. It was a disappointing tournament all round for him but I think a lot of the blame for that rests with Sampaoli. He as a manager should have been able to devise a formation and tactics that enabled Messi to have plenty of the ball but he failed to do so. Maybe Messi has another World Cup in him yet, only time will tell.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

No one doubts Maradona was the star for Argentina backnin the day but the point about hisnteam mayltes standing up to be counted as well is undeniable
    It could be argued that Messi is infact ahead of Maradona in ability. Certainly more prolific and consistent across his career. Surely longevity has to be considered?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Callum McGregor likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Messi next

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It doesn't define Messi's greatness and legacy no winning anything for Argentina..

I do agree though that there's a weight hanging over no just him, but the whole team whenever Maradona is mentioned or compared..

It's been evident during the Iceland penalty where his head went down and during the anthem against Croatia....a great looked utterly petrified..

He's still the best player I've ever seen..

The whole Ronaldo doing it for Portugal thing is boring now as well. They have a better base to work from. Aren't as lopsided. Play counter attacking football and do not care how boring they're called..

Argentina are ridiculously lopsided. Can't fit all their best attacking player's in to a system, no more so than Messi. Keepers that are a shambles. A defence that's pish and wide open and a midfield with no legs in the middle..

Rydo1888* likes this.