1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Brendan still be manager at the start of next season?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 19, 2019.

Discuss Will Brendan still be manager at the start of next season? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    As it says in the title. What do you think?

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye. He will leave after the 10.

Lilac Wine, FranceCelt and pHatRon67 like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hope so.

Jeannie960 and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Hate to think who will be in charge if it isn’t Brendan. PL will no doubt be looking to Scandinavia for Ronny#2.

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    My heart says yes but my head says no.

You hear;

If he wins another treble where do you go from there?

If he loses the title 100% he is gone.

He has fell out with Lawwell

He is too loyal to Sinclair

He can’t spot a defender

His ego is massive

For me the only way Brendan will leave is on his own terms.

The board, supporters and wider Celtic family know what it means for this guy to be the Celtic manager it is his dream job, he is a diehard Celtic fan, * * he was welcomed by thousands of people.

For me the board took this and took advantage of it not backing him with the right quality of player not the cash the quality he has squandered a few million but what manager hasn’t!

Win the league this season as I have said he should receive a standing ovation and be carried down the Celtic way and leave with the best wishes, gratitude and thanks of every single man, woman and child associated with our club and his head held high.

I said on the evening of the Scottish cup final last season it was a special time and we should cherish it, embrace it and never forget it as in all our lifetimes it will never be done again!

Invincible treble
    Double treble
    Records have fallen like leaves off a tree in autumn.

If you told me in May 2016 when Ronny left we would be where we where 2 years later I wouldn’t have believed it!

Let’s enjoy it while we can! What will be will be!

HH

6. Thebs

I want to say yes but I'm struggling to see any evidence he is planning for next season and beyond.

67MB likes this.
  7. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Voted yes more out of hope than expectation.

I really hope he'll stay and lead us to 10IAR. How, as a Celtic fan, can he pass up the opportunity to make himself a legend? I always had the feeling that he would leave after 10, Broony would retire and KT would finally move on as well.

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

No.

After the shambles of last summer everyone said this window would be indicative of Brendan's intentions. 2 loans and a low cost punt for a young striker do not scream a board that are desperate to keep a manager happy.

For a guy as ambitious as Rodgers our ultra-cautious approach with finances just doesn't work.

Good management is all about timing. After winning the Double Treble we were on the crest of a wave, who knows where we could have went if we got in his primary targets?

Instead we went from an almost unprecedented high to pulling the rug from under Rodgers feet within 4 months. Armstrong & Dembele sold without replacing, Roberts replaced with a loan target that by his own words he knew nothing about.

I don't think the relationship between Rodgers and the board is reparable at this point...and even if it was our negligence has set us back substantially.

With Brown, Lustig, Boyata and Benkovic all likely going in the summer does Rodgers fancy the task of replacing them with another limited budget? I doubt it.

9. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Last summer I was 100% sure he'd stay for the 10. He wanted to be the man who delivered 10 no question.
    After the 2018 summer window and euro defeat about 50%, very deflated. Around November I was back to being 90% sure he'd be here for 10 and feeling good about things, we'd a bit of our mojo back and banging in the goals and coming into a transfer window that could set the tone for the second half of the season and into the euro qualifiers. Now with this window I've dropped again. It's all very confusing.

Theres a massive, absolutely massive rebuild facing us this summer.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    If Brendan is basically forced out by our penny pinching board then surely it'll be the last days of Sodom for fat pedro and his tory yes men as well.

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I hope so, but I very much doubt it.

12. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    He will stay till he loses a league , so he's here till 10 if we achieve it. any other trebles along the way would add even more to what can only be described as an extraordinary period the last few years.

13. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Nope, team performances have being going backwards year after year and the board hasn’t backed him enough. Could see him going to China for a payday and managing stress-free for a year and then go back to the prem. I’m sure he has learnt his mistake bringing in Congerton but doesn’t want to tell him to * off and that goes for 4-5 players in the team. Would like him to stay but it doesn’t look likely considering this transfer window we’ve had.

14. stew37

Yes. He was obviously annoyed at the transfer dealings in summer last year, but he's stated that he's happy here, and has already supposedly turned down jobs with much more money. There's plenty of time for him to take on other challenges in England or further afield.

I reckon a lot of people who've been complaining about him recently will seriously miss him if he does decide to leave.

15. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Win or lose the league this season , the only way is down after Brendan given what he's achieved. who else we gonna get ?

16. leeso-ardoyne

Brendan Rodgers will be here for 10IAR then will walk unless he gets some backing so we could win that uefa cup. If not, then he wont sign no new contract. If Celtic back him, he'll be here a long time.

17. saltire78

Long story short, I'm not answering because I genuinely cant get a bearing on it... There's 2 competing arguments for me, and I genuinely can't tell which is which in the real world:

1) The drastic, disaster option.

Rodgers wants to leave, is sick of it here with what's going on behind the scenes and he is going to go through the motions. In this one he's not bothered if we lost because it will mean he gets to get out of what I'm assuming is a cast-iron contract, while being able to offload blame on the board/Lawell. If he still wins, hey great! This is extremely unlikely, but some of his signings, press conferences, team selections lean towards someone who isn't too bothered and has become disheartened, as have player performance under him.

2) The long game

A far more optimistic version, where we're going to go through a version of penance this season as little has been spent for about 2 years, while most are loans and 'sure to move on' signings. In this one long-term players like Broonie, lustig, Izzy etc. bow out to retirement/lesser leagues and other long-term 'frustrators' like compper, Allan, boyata etc see contracts run out, and the result is a huge, natural cleanse of the squad and wage bill. This could see us actually achieve that 'light, tight, fighting squad of about 25 quality players' we heard so much about all along come true, 'IF' the board show synergy and support Brendan.

Probably neither is true, and what I actually happens is him leaving and we endure more Groundhog Day bullshit of pipedreams and moonbeams until some * actually pips us to the league...

Like i said... I just can't call it...

Lilac Wine likes this.
  18. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Never say never and all that, but I just can’t see him leaving

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Keano88

The main reason that people think he could leave is due to the lack of transfer activity, but he’s partly to blame on that front for recommending that * Congerton to be head of recruitment.

I don’t blame the board for not stumping up £10m for Castagne or £8m for Elabdellaoui. A scouting network should be capable of finding targets who are within the clubs price range.

Hopefully he is here next season and hopefully we have a completely new scouting network set up.

20. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Hard to say, although he has stated he loves the job and is very happy here he could easily become disillusioned if he does not get certain guarantees over budget for the summer. May well decide enough is enough. We have history with this *, Lenny loves the club and loved the job but the board * him over with budgets and look what happened there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.