1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are your musical influences?

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 2, 2009.

Discuss Who are your musical influences? in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There are quite a few artists and bands who's music and lyrics really inspire me when I'm writing my own.
    But not only that, there are some thought provoking lyrics that I can think about all day long. One example would be a line in 'When I Come Around' by Green Day that goes ''You may find out that your self doubt means nothing was ever there, you can't go forcing something if it's just not right.'' that I just love.
    Or sometimes the music alone just captures you and you go off into your own wee world. I love it when music does that to me.

What music does that to you?

2. SlutHumper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Niall McGinn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    oasis, the enemy, the killers, some of the view, kasaiban, glasvages,, the smiths man theres tons, i could go on all day!

the thing that gets me about most of them is, i might be kiding myself on here but i feel that if i tryed hard enough i could have wrote some of there songs ie away from here by the enemy, the lyrics are simple but at the same time genius

1 time, i posts a coment on the enemy myspace and they replyed to it,,, i cant remember what i said but here is what the reply was

Alright mate, Tom here...

You're right on the wages I was on when I was floggin T.V's I could never afford to go to Glasto, none of my mates can, I don't see how any of us normall people can... the tickets are priced to high. Hopefully we put on a good show for the few that managed to save up and go. I loved every minute of it, haven't been that buzzin on stage for a while. Anyway, take care geez, all the best and that

Tom

ive not i clue what i said but but is shows he was just like us at 1 point, that got me motivated,

i also like to see interview from bands about how thay stared up and tell what they song is about, the get me motivated aswell

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  3. Dusty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc, Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    John Dolmayan has been the single greatest influence on my drumming style.

Plus obvious others like John Bonham and Chad Smith.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

What do you think of the following drummers?

Lars Ulrich

Joey Jordinson

Dave Grohl

5. Dusty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc, Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I can never figure out what i think of Lars, his drumming style doesn't really appeal to me at all - it's very bass-pedal orientated. In some songs his drumming seems to be no more than 'punk drumming' but in others he shows he's got some really impressive fills. However, his drums suit 'Tallica perfect i guess. However, his live performances can be very hit and miss - liable for some * awful blunders. Oh and i think he's a * personally!

Joey Jordison is a bit unreal. Basically he's a very good drummer, only sped up x10! Big fan of Joeys here! I can actually manage to play some of his beats, but how he comes up with such brilliant beats i have no idea! Have you checked out his upside down drum solo? Pretty cool.

Aye Dave Grohl is another drummer who had a big influence on me, his songs are some of the first i learnt - songs off In Utero and ofcourse 'Teen Spirit'! Very good drummer, although not technically anywhere near the best, he makes up for it because he's very charismatic. I love his drumming for QOTSA's 'Songs for the Deaf' - especially the song 'A song for the Dead' - really fun song to play! So yeah Grohls pretty sweet - although probably not as good as Taylor Hawkins you know?

:50:

6. ConnellyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ľubomír Moravčík
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I've got a wide range of influences from indie to death metal...

Ocean Colour Scene were the band who started me playing guitar with the Riverboat song.

Oasis and stand by me i have listened to till death, also the Morning Glory album.

Between the buried and me - heavy metal band with some seriously talented guitarists.
    Any guitarists want to hear a true masterpiece of music look for "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" listen through the song and just wait for the 2 and a half minute outro.

Umm Pink Floyd - Needs no explanation.

Queen, Eric Clapton, John Farnham(YOUR THE VOICE TRY'N UNDERSTAND IT!), Pantera and Rage Against The Machine.

Edit: Forgot to put in Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses

Theres so many.

-----------

Lars Ulrich is a *, Joey Jordinson is a genius and Dave Grohl is talented guy.

Edit Number 2:- Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) his song writting ability is second to none.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  7. Lazycame

Fav Celtic Player:
    McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Feedback everytime.

8. seanyyy

Fav Celtic Player:
    samaras/crosas
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song, willie maley, over and over, ltps
    my chemical romance
    thier lyrics just feel so personal
    saves the day and mayday parade

and tokio hotel
    his voice and what he saysjust intices me.
    i can be listenin to them and not have a problem in the owrld

9. ogairbhith

Fav Celtic Player:
    moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    youll never walk alone & willie maley
    ol dirty * rip

10. SlutHumper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Niall McGinn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    the streets-stay positive

Stop dreaming.
    People who say that are blaspheming.
    They're doing nine to five and moaning.
    And they don't want you succeeding when they've blown it
    And your idols - who are they?
    They too dreamt about their day
    Positive steps will see your goals.
    Whether it's dollars or control, feel the gold.
    I aint helping you climb the ladder
    I'm busy climbing mine.
    That's how it's been since the dawn of time.
    If you reach a cul-de-sac
    The world turns it's back
    This is you zone, it's like blackjack
    He might get the ace or the top one
    So organise your two's and three's into a run then you'll have f@cked him son
    And for that you'll be the better one

11. Eamonnhenrik

u2 inspire me lyrically there songs are untouchable + the edge was the reason i wanted to learn to play guitar absolute legend songs like one streets with or without you sunday * sunday etc i could go on will be immortal

12. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scotty Broon & Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well you've got to feel it in your bones...........

You can have it all, any time you want it. Yeah the kingdom's all inside........

Lost in the fog av been treated like a dog an am outta here. A got no name an a feel no shame an a got no fear.......

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  13. Sideshow Bob

lyrically Zach De La Rocha is my main influence, amazing lyrics I could just fade out the music and listen to that guy sing.

On a more 'band' like front I'd have to say the first band I ever properly listened to still for me remian the best - Guns N Roses. I also really like Faith No More (Mike Patton as singer/front man).

If I was to single out a guitarist then I would stick with Joe Satriani, I've listened to him for years and he remains one of my favourite musicians.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Spot on.
    So happy I saw RATM at T in the Park last year.

15. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I might be years behind the times but the main man for me was and always will be Weller. His tunes got me through my teenage years and in some cases it was as if he was the only one who understood what was going on in my head.

16. Richmal

10CC Lazy Ways!

17. Firefly

Fav Celtic Player:
    Was Lubo, Now Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On or Let The People Sing
    For me i like to try out different styles from when im writing lyrics and writing music on guitar if you know what i mean?.because i have so many different tastes so i might write one song in the style of AC/DC or Thin Lizzy or the Fratellis..but with the band we really focus on doing songs in the Metallica mould.James Hetfield is my main influence when writing songs..the guy is a genius and really writes from the heart and about his life and he has wrote some of the greatest songs of all time down the years.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

No mate, in my opinion there is no such thing as being 'behind the times' in terms of music you love. If you loved it when you were a teenager then you are also completely free to love it when you're older.