1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

When will the arse finally fall out of football.....

Discussion in 'World Football' started by paulo123, Aug 4, 2017.

Discuss When will the arse finally fall out of football..... in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    With all this crazy money flying about now and astronomical transfer fees/wages,how long before it all goes * up??

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's already went * up for loads of clubs living out side of their means tbf.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yeah good point but the bubble has to burst at some point maybe a cap on fees/wages.The money the premiership is getting and spunking away is unreal,and a big part of the problem i think.

It is raising the value of mediocre players and silly money is being spent on bang average players.

4. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    I wonder which clubs the government will bail out when it does go * up??

Sorry, "companies". I forgot clubs can't be liquidated, just their company.

Ok, if neymar wants to leave fair enough and he is a world class player. But £200m!! £110m more than the current transfer record!! It's absolutely disgusting! Where is it going to stop? Will UEFA or FIFA release a statement regarding this or try to repeat this kind of obscene profligacy? I doubt it but it would be nice to see them try to control their game.

I saw that Man City player Inheancho (or however the * you spell it) go to Leicester for £25m!! What the * has he done in his footballing career to merit that kind of price tag?

Absolutely ridiculous! It won't, but I hope, it all comes crashing down on these *.

StPauli1916 and paulo123 like this.
  5. ddub11

Reading a good article about this deal and it seems FIFA or UEFA wont put their foot down on this because the money is coming from Qatar and if they try put a stop to it then the the people in Qatar will just set up their own super league with endless amounts of money.
    And everybody knows players go where the money is.

6. Sentinel

He lasted 17 minutes into his debut before he was injured as well.. However, he has done pretty well when called upon by City and in the current insane market, he might be money very well spent.

He's young, hungry for success, has talent, pace and an eye for goal. £25 mill for that is fair enough. Be interesting to see how he gets on this year.

pop47 likes this.
  7. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Never.

As much as transfers and wages are through the roof, clubs are only getting more and more in TV revenue and sponsorship.

Football will only go * up if the public loses interest.

8. pop47

I think that's happening already,,,,well it is with me.

Outwith Celtic i couldn't give a *.
    When you see players getting paid what they are nowadays what chance have we got of competing at the higher level.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Doogs. likes this.
  9. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yeah it really is sickening and its going to end up hurting teams like us in the long run, as we will be priced right out of the market for players.

10. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    When they start actually ruining the world cups I think. So 5 years.

11. clonbhoy

I think the short answer is it won't. Not in the short to medium term anyway and, if it does, it won't be as a result of the biggest clubs overspending. I would very much like the whole EPL to crumble, the reality is that is unlikely.
    Football, as it always has, reflects society. We live in a globalised world, rightly or wrongly, where the biggest markets dominate. In football terms that means the EPL and assorted individual brands from the continent. These clubs don't rely solely on ticket sales from loyal fans, but from global consumerism. At the moment that is in the form of tv deals. For example the domestic deal for the EPL is around 5.3 billion and the international deal 5.1 billion. When you add this with advertising from other international companies, and in some club's cases regional companies in places far from where the club is based, football clubs make much of their money globally. It is why Man United had a record year last year, despite relative failure on the pitch. As long as people are interested in the club, which is very likely given the marketing that is involved, companies will want to be connected to it. If anything it is only going to get more silly.
    As a poster above suggested, other nation's may come in with more money to try and 'buy into' the market, it has happened to an extent in China, but the fact is the major clubs in England and Europe have brand recognition and that will be very hard to replace now, no matter what the money. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than a '39th' game being played in cities across the world soon.
    Another perceived threat is the advance of illegal streaming sites and software like Kodi etc. Again, I would imagine clubs, or in most cases I should really call them franchises, are working with leagues and associations to find a way of changing how we watch sport so that they can still make money from it. How we watch things now is very different to even ten or fifteen years ago, they have the power and money to evolve and change if it is in their interests. They pay people good money for this sort of thing.
    The one thing that I could see causing the * to fall out of football, is the lack of competition and the failure of other clubs and leagues. If you look at England again as ab example, the number of foreign owners in the Championship, spending big in the hope of joining the elite is huge. Wolves being the latest massive basket case with links to dodgy agents. What happens to clubs like that when they fail on the pitch? Only three teams can go up each season and the teams coming down will have the parachute payments.
    Added to this you have the EPL wanting to undermine the football league by entering 'B' teams in the league. The best analogy I can see for how the EPL views the football league, and it goes back to how football mirrors society again, is the 'Hyperdales' episode of 'Still Game', with Navid's shop being your average small town provincial club. The difference here is, I don't think the EPL realises how much it needs these clubs, how football in every country isn't just reliant on the top of the tree. If those leagues falter, as well as smaller national leagues, then I could see the * falling out of football or, just as likely, the elite clubs will set up their own feeder teams around the world, that feed into their team in the 'McDonald's World Super League'.

Modern football is *.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Fully87, Centenary Bhoy and paulo123 like this.
  12. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Sky are already scrambling like *, they've lost a lot of customers to BT and have had to dig deep for the Billions for the EPL contract. If they go bust then its easy street for BT to sweep up all the sports then bump their prices up. BT have got the deeper pockets.

Or before that happens, Brexit is more than likely to cause serious economic decline and possible recession, that would hit the teams down South very hard.

UEFA had the chance to fully implement FFP to stop that chance of it happening but they couldn't care less when more money went their way.

The football world just now is like the American housing and mortgage industry in 2006. Ready to burst.

Doogs. and richardm like this.
  13. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yes things are now entering a new phase, even the mainstream yesterday were admitting this is now classic financial crash type conditions, the fact that folk are turning off in droves from watching Skys coverage never mind subscribing to it tells you they won't be able to ride this out in the current conditions and continue to fund the EPL and even the EFLs crazy conditions

Wolves paying 15 million for a player tells you all you need to know, things will comtinue as normal for now but in the next 5 years there will be a big event that will trigger a meltdown

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    A bust in the football bubble would be great for us. Hopefully it will come sooner rather than later

Fully87 and richardm like this.
  15. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Sickening how much has been paid for, and to, Neymar. That money should be going to feed and clothe future generations of Qatari royalty.

richardm and Doogs. like this.
  16. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I just worry the calibre of player we will attract and have to fork out for now, which will be highly over inflated as the result of epl teams overspending to buy dross more or less.30 million seems to be the general figure for average joes down there now its crazyness.

17. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I know Neymar's transfer is seen as being obscene, and I wouldn't disagree.

But I've never had a problem with the genuinely elite players commanding the most money, even if it is sometimes ridiculous.

It's the sums being paid for average mid-table types that infuriates me, or worse again, dross from the English Championship.

Kyle Walker, Ross Barkley, Josh Stones, Lukaku, Benteke - these are just some of the players who've commanded outrageous fees in the past couple of years - none of them is world class.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Surely though sky and BT can't continue to fund this madness since they will demand more from joe public to watch it at home. It's already about £80 odd for the sky package and they only way BT and sky can continue to offer the EPL scandalous amounts is because of punters subscribing to watch on tv. However, in order for Sky and BT to continue to increase their investment in the EPL/champs league, they need to increase the cost of subscriptions and with the likes of Kodi and Modbro, thousands of fans are baulking at the monthly subscription price and using illegal streams. But TBH, would you blame them! So it will only be viable until the punters get sick of paying crazy subscription prices.

19. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    The international rights will continue to grow and grow, a lot of deals are already in place for the next cycle of 2019-22. Read that the Sub-Saharan Africa deal will double, the Chinese one will increase fourteen fold from £13m p/y to £180m p/y. Plenty of scope for growth there regardless of the UK market, a bit like match going fans no longer sustaining clubs eventually you'll reach a tipping point where the foreign TV cash will be more important than the domestic. When the NBC deal is up for renegotiation in 2022 you'll likely see some monstrous amount coming from the US, they already pay £128m p/y.

clonbhoy likes this.
  20. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Ya it all depends on sky really. It's no secret EPL clubs are not saving any of their TV money they seem to be all too eager to spend it. If sky isn't able to give a similar package when the contract is renewed then they will have huge problems. I think it's also possible that with the lack of English players in the EPL there might be a lack of English support in the future, though that's a bit unlikely with their plastic fans.

Would be interested to see how brexit would affect foreign players in the league