1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What players do you think regretted leaving us?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by HailHoopy, Mar 25, 2017.

Discuss What players do you think regretted leaving us? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hooper 100%

2. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Frank MacAvennie and Charlie Nicholas both regretted leaving the first time around. It never worked out for Charlie at Arsenal. MacAvennie was scintillating for us at the time he left to go * a page 3 girl.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think Charlie regretted going to Arsenal, he should have went to Liverpool. Think he said so himself.. and they would have been a much better fit for him. We tried to resign him in 1987 I bet he regrets that decision.

4. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah he said in a recent interview that he wished he'd signed for Liverpool purely because their style would have suited him more, and of course Kenny Dalglish was there at the time.
    He'd also met with Manchester United, but essentially decided (after one meeting) that Ron Atkinson was a * and he'd never play for him again.

Both Nicholas and McAvennie have spoken about how Celtic don't really look after their former players as well as other clubs, I think they're more fond of Arsenal/West Ham respectively.

JC Anton likes this.
  5. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Bet hes gutted now

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Kind of true when you think of it, they look after the Lions and a couple of players around that time like Dixie Deans and Tommy Callaghan but pretty much everyone since then you never see or hear of much. Packie Bonner, Peter Latchford, Tam McAdam, Roddy MacDonald, Johannes Edvaldsson, Roy Aitken, Andy Lynch, Frank McGarvie, Davie Provan, Brian McClair, Murdo MacLeod, Paul McStay, Dalglish all players who played a couple of hundred games but they never really do anything, never on Celtic TV, never doing HT draws, never involved in anything really you see them in the Celtic View interviewed about once every 5 years.

7. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I can't really say too much, because you never know what Celtic do for former players behind the scenes (if they do anything).
    We might be helping ex-players financially with medical help or whatever it might be, and it's just not made public, but Nicholas/McAvennie seemed to think that wasn't the case.

There's no reason why we can't have ex-players as a 'Guest of honour', doing the half-time draw and a bit of a Q&A in hospitality or stuff like that, as well as having them on Celtic TV/Celtic View, as you say.

For the ones who still live locally, there's no reason why (assuming they were up for it) couldn't go along to schools and put on coaching sessions with the kids alongside club officials.

Mind you, all of this is probably getting done and I just don't know about it.

8. The Ghirl Friday

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Let the People Sing
    Where is he playing now?

9. Aidan O’Shea

Not a chance Dalglish would have regretted leaving.

10. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Charlie Nic and Judas Liam Miller were the first i thought off. Both went too early and to wrong teams imo....Nic should have gone to Anfield and Miller was always going to be a bit-part at best at Manure. Maloney first time round is a good shout too!

Think Lenny had to get out of this * place for his own sanity in the end.....scandalous what he had to go through!!

11. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Denayer

12. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sheffield Wednesday

13. HailHoopy

Is he getting a game?

14. Moustache

The last time he played according to transfermarkt was the 19th September, during which he got an assist. Since then he's only made the bench once, which was the 20th January.

I'm not sure what's going on there, but it doesn't sound great.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    HailHoopy likes this.
  15. HailHoopy

Bit of a waste, he'll be wishing he just stayed with us.

16. Sween

As others have said, Hooper was the first name I thought of when I saw this thread.

17. Deco67

Hooper could have been a legend here

18. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Disagree with Hooper I don't think he will harbour as many regrets and people think. Yes things in England haven't worked out as planned however he had three very good seasons with us outscoring any Englishman in the process while bagging in the champions league and there was a * chance he was getting in that England team and for a young English striker playing for your country is the panicle so he had to go. He isn't a Celtic fan and he gave us three good years so he owed us nothing, I don't blame guy for going and trying it out in England, I think if hed of signed for a mid table prem team rather than * Norwich he would be doing a lot better for himself because that Norwich side where *.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He'd have had more chance of playing for England staying with us.

I don't see how he couldn't possibly have regrets considering what his career has now become. Regardless of whether he owed us anything, that doesn't really come into it.

Fact is he gave up trophies and champions league football for Norwich. If he went elsewhere as you say to an Everton or Southampton then ok, fair game. He could get noticed there.

But Norwich? Nah. I hope it was worth the extra 10k a week.