1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What must Lennon achieve?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, May 26, 2019.

Discuss What must Lennon achieve? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I would not necessarily take cl knockouts as improvements but going in and not getting thumped like the 2nd season. Although coming 4th in the group Celtic were better in Europe in Brendan's 1st than Brendan's 2nd season (my opinion only).

Ghotti Bhoy likes this.
  2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

• He needs to clear the squad of anyone who doesn't want to be there and recruit and wisely to freshen up the squad with hungry players who want to develop.

• Needs to bed in some of the new signings and loanees that we've not seen much of; Bayo, Shved, Morgan, Arzani, the American lads. The youth team prospects as well should get some game time in pre-season, Henderson, Johnston, Dembele and hopefully a few others break into the side.

• Champions League is a case of need and not just want, really feel that after not qualifying this season if we want to keep our best players as well as attract a high caliber of new signings we need to be in the group stages this season.

• Play attractive/high scoring football. Results will always be the measure of success but domestically at least, we have to be exciting to watch. Be direct by all means, but we have to be inventive and relentless in pursuit of goals and try our best to bury games as soon as possible. With this squad in Lennon's role as interim we've been grinding results out which is a credit to the teams attitude, but there's only so many times you can get away with not killing games off or going behind with sloppy goals.

• Improve. He has to take us forward, we aren't the same team we were after Mowbray. It's not a case of galvanising a broken team and apathetic support. We're on a roll, dominating every competition in the country, so as much as we need fresh faces, we've got a core of talented young players who need to be kept motivated and well coached. This shouldn't be an excuse for 1) the board, or 2) Lenny, to think next season will be the same. We've achieved unprecedented success recently, but the next year is going to be crucial for the overall legacy of this board and Lennon. 10iar must be delivered from this position of strength, otherwise questions will be asked of both...

Ghotti Bhoy and Whoflungdung like this.
  3. aliceinsound

Next season win the league and European football till Christmas, europa league is acceptable as long as we get beat by someone half decent in CL qualifiers

Whoflungdung likes this.
  4. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    I'll be happy wi a few good signings and 10 in a row, anything else is a bonus.

5. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The 10

6. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    9 in a row is all i care about next season.
    if we can reach the cl group stages the that would be great.
    the cups are a bonus, i'd sacrifice them if the squad is tiring like the last 2 seasons unless we're 20 points clear in the league in which case give me that Quatro? treble. what do you call a fourth treble in a row lol

7. saltire78

Quadreble?

Personally I've been 3x3 for what we achieved (In writing obviously, you'd sound like a * saying it), so I'll be hoping for 4x3 this year!

8. saltire78

For me, league is 100% beyond question. Love the big guy, but not delivering that would be terminal.

After that it's all relative. Not embarrassing us in Europe, doing the league cup is possible if we don't have CL/EL interference. Good run in Scottish Cup, so long as we're not carrying injuries or still having European influence.

In short we should still be looking for another treble, but the league is all that's essential.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The league and Scottish Cup would do me fine. European football is a bonus but it can be brutal with how far away from the decent sides we are.

Artorias likes this.
  10. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    The next two league titles and performing decently in the European groups

Artorias likes this.
  11. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    This, Peter Lawwell already making troubling noises in the media. Saying Celtic don't have much of a rebuild to do this summer...

12. StevieBhoooy!

Getting to 10 is all that matters... would be hard (after being “spoiled”) to watch any other team win a cup... they’d be a bonus but nothing should derail the main task.

I’d say CL qualification ... (for the money) but we all know that we’d see little or no reinvestment of that mythical 30 million.

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He won't say we need a rebuild as it would make the club look bad. We are still keeping (or expect to keep) important guys like KT, Broony, Mcgregor, Jamesy, Christie and Eddy. So it isn't a full rebuild

Artorias likes this.
  14. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fair enough, it is a large job but I suppose out and saying that wouldn't help. Would also put pressure if they ended up not getting all targets.

15. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Next season..the league and no European embarrassments

16. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    There are no ifs or buts.

CL group stage qualification is essential.

It provides us with so much of our income and allows us to buy better players which in turn allows us to pull ahead of the rest of the *. Others aren't getting better, we are getting worse. And we'll continue to get worse if we don't make the CL.

Failing to make it for the second year in a row is unthinkable.

17. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Agree with this!! This year was a disaster in that respect. Athens was a gift of draw imo no matter whatever excuses were thrown out there. There were none!!

Whoflungdung likes this.
  18. dmccourt95

10 in a row and two champions league group stage qualifications. Don’t even care if we finish bottom both seasons with 0 points it gives us the money and exposure to kick once the pressure of the 10 is done and we can focus on improving in Europe

19. DamienCorkBhoy

The next 2 league titles and European group stage football in either the champions league or europa league.
    Any cups a bonus.

20. Cringer67

To be considered a success? Win the next two league titles. It really is that simple. No cups and no champions league during that time will not matter one iota (although it wont feel like that at the time). If he gets to 10 in a row he will be regarded as one of our greatest ever legends across the ENTIRE fan base.