1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a celtic player a legend?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bertie Cauld, Apr 7, 2018.

Discuss What makes a celtic player a legend? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Like I said mate, most underrated legend ever :56:

2. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I think it maybe the fact that we have had better footballers throughout our history it might be hard to judge someone as legend as they don't compare to players in the past.
    There's no right or wrong answer... Except Lennon who is a legend :84:

Peej likes this.
  3. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Some convincer :giggle1:

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lennon’s commitment to Celtic was a ove and beyond, even if you discount everything else he has done for us, nobody else in our history except Neil Lennon has literally risked there life to be at Celtic.

Doogs., Peej and Bertie Cauld like this.
  5. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Celtic legends for me are guys like Maley,McGrory,McNeill,Dalglish,McStay and Larsson.It's a very exclusive club and the likes of Lustig and Forrest are simply not up there with them.

celticfan01 and Peej like this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    So would you put it down to ability only?

7. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Longevity/Dignity/Unity with fans,buying into the Celtic family and delivering on the pitch,rolling sleeves up and getting stuck in even if ur not playing well give 110%

buchanbhoy likes this.
  8. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I wouldn't.

9. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Your all forgetting Roy Aitken......feed the bear.....

10. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    The one sure way to be a legend, is to have played for the first team on 25th May 1967.

Failing that, you need to have as many of the following as possible; embodying the "Celtic values", winning trophies, playing at a consistently high level, and longevity.

Norm Peterson likes this.
  11. Sween

Good question...

In my mind I think legend status is usually reserved for players who either 1.) become figure heads (usually the best players) for clubs during their most successful periods in its history, 2.) players who go way above and beyond for the club, or 3.) players who leave to achieve great things elsewhere beyond what anyone at that club had done before.

As regards Celtic I think the lisbon lions are so iconic that every one of them is a legend. Together they achieved something that will never be done again. Beyond that maybe just Larsson for my generation.

As regards players that go above and beyond I think what Lennon went through was unique. And someone like Tommy Burns who went from celtic youth to captain the team to manager the team to coach and then die so young is a unique hero as well.

As regards the third option, I cant think of any players that spring to mind besides Larsson who was already a club legend. Being a big club I think it would take one of our youth players to go to to play for the likes of Barca or Real Madrid to apply.

History often treats players very differently. For Brown, being the captain that leads celtic to 10 in a row (hopefully) should be enough to cement legend status. But depending on what celtic go on to achieve doing 10 in a row may not be revered in the same way that 9 in a row is. Only time will tell i guess.

Bertie Cauld likes this.
  12. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Lustig and forrest:56:

Lustig is a cult hero and thats his lot.

Forrest:56::56::56::56:

Beginning to see some fans have a bit of a habit with rewarding 'loyalty' that was never challenged by another club ever while the player has been here.

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    It's hard to define what it is that makes a Celtic legend .....all I can say is you know one when you see them. Part of you knows in your heart whilst the other part of you says hold back, wait and see, don't jump the gun. It's hard to truly confer that status on a player until you're absolutely sure. They're part of a special group and it takes a lot to become a member. As fans we're a hard group to convince and we don't just bestow that title on just anyone.

14. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Forrest may well retire here in my opinion. Don’t see him ever being a legend

15. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    A legend has to be someone that has achieved above and beyond while preforming well week in week out, year after year while showing Loyalty. People mentioning Forrest and Lustig are getting 'cult hero' and legend mixed up. Forrest is so inconsistent and up until this season has shown very little of what he can offer us.

Also not sure how a player can be labelled a legend when this season our fans have been moaning and even booing in some games when the player is on the ball in fear of him stuffing up (Like efe ambrose v barca). Only player in the past 8 years that would be considered a legend is Brown, if he retires tomorrow without leading us to 10 in a row he will still go down as one of the best captains in celtics history.

16. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    If Forrest can retire here and win us 10iar I would see him as a legend. He will probably win maybe 20-25 trophies in his time, which would be about 15-20% of celtics full trophy collection. I can't see that being anything other than legendary, of course everyone sees it differently.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  17. Norm Peterson

If Forrest or Lustig had Irish sounding names then they’d be legends.

Obvs.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Agree with most of this apart from this bit as this says far more about the scumbags doing it than it does about any player playing for Celtic regardless of their "status" as legend or cult star or just a guy giving his all for Celtic. Whether some wanks boo a player has nothing to do with how I view a player so for me is completely irrelevant.

19. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I wouldn’t call Forrest a legend just because he’s been here so long,far too inconsistent and at times he’s not been first choice. To me longevity only matters if you’ve been class for the duration of your time here not just had a few good seasons.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Impossible to define, there are no set parameters.