1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

what is grav's major malfunction?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by gunt, Aug 9, 2007.

Discuss what is grav's major malfunction? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gunt

Was Grav always positionally poor and tactically indisciplined but we didnt notice cause he was dynamic looking and played for another team OR has something gone wrong with him in the last couple of years? He looked amazing from a distance and we were all so pleased when he signed but should we (and more importantly WGS) have noticed these flaws or have they only happened recently. If so, why?

2. Ruthless Scot

No doubt about it, he was great at Everton, and probably their best player. But when he signed for Real Madrid, he had to play second fiddle to world class midfielders, and I reckon he moved to Celtic to get his career back on track. BUT i think he may think that the SPL was a "diddy" league, and just didn't put the effort in. WGS said himself that Gravesen needed to shape up.

Aye, we was pleased when he signed cause he played for Real Madrid, and was on great form the season before with Everton. He is a well known player, but just like Shevchenko with Chelsea, they don't always pay off

3. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He doesn't take instructions . However surely a better manager can coach him or teach him possibly add things to his game as it has been proven in the past some managers can get the best out of him . The transfer has not worked and it's better for all parties if e just moves on

4. R-to-the-C

Fav Celtic Player:
    john collins, nakamura, maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    i think its because he doesnt get to play in his natural position, attacking midfield cause thats where he played when he was at everton, and when he moved to madrid they made him a defensive mid what he doesnt like which GS has tried to do as well.

5. Graham1888

slowly walking down the hall,faster than a cannonb
    Fav Celtic Player:
    McGrain.McStay Sutton.Thommo.Lubo.Mjallby
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    If he is to be a player for us i think he nees to be played behind the front 2 like he was at Everton which basically means a 5 man midfield and i can't see that happening tbh.He has poor covering sense and lacks the know how of when to sit and when to attack but he is a pretty good passer of the ball albeit there have been some real doozy's at Old Trafford for example but i think a fair bit of the time last seaon he was left exposed because of a fairly static midfield.The combo of Lenny and TG didn't work at all but with Donati and Brown there things could be very different.Would necessitate a big attitude change tho from both him and Strachan.

His goals last season tho were worth 10 points in a league that was won by 12 so he has contributed.

6. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Gravesen should play in the midfield before Hartley . He is more of a goal threat and at the moment we find goals hard to come by .

7. Gaffney

Fav Celtic Player:
    JVOH
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Gravesen is better than hartley but Gravesen isn't as good as donati or Brown, if gravesen could just shape himself up he could be better than brown the now but I don't see Gravesen being a first team starter, unless we play a 5 man midfield like:

Boruc

Wilson-kennedy-Mcmanus-Naylor

Naka-Donati-Brown-Mcgeady

Gravesen

Mcdonald

I put mcdonald as our striker becuase he has a better first touch than Jvoh, and the first touch is important in a 4-5-1.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  8. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    i think his attitude needs to change dramatically because his ability is in no doubt.

9. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think that would actually be a good side to play in Moscow . McDonald's pace will be useful to us . Garry O'Connor said in the papers today they are a good passing side but the defence is shaking and we could get in behind them . McDonald's pace will be a huge asset

10. Diamond1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney, Griffiths and Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hampden In The Sun
    Boruc

Wilson-Kennedy-Mcmanus-Naylor

Naka-Donati-Hartley-Mcgeady

Brown

Hesselink

Thats the team i have a feeling GS will use when playing against Spartak, but i would rather like to see Brown in Hartleys postion and Riordan were Brown is.

11. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    He is to inconstent, some games he seems really up for it and plays a blinder controlling the midfield , scoring and getting stuck in like he did at Love Street . Yet other times when he is given a chance his positiong is all to pot and he seems lost , if he can become more consitent he would be good imo

12. jonny_cfc_n01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka and King Arthur
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldiers song
    Gravesen has no faith in GS and vice versa

13. sco-ire1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    coming home
    his attitude is wrong, i quite agree with the person who said that above me. he thinks he is a star because he played for madrid. i do think he is a good player but one that has not shown it since signing for us. 'at celtic you are only as good as you're last pass'

if he can't take it, he should just go because i don't want him sitting on the bench raking in all that cash for doing nothing.

14. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He has been a costly and disastrous signing along with Jarosik .
    I'm still hopeful somebody will take Gravesen because he will be wanted by a Premiership team who will make a poor start to the season . Maybe somebody will make a bid for him then . He could flourish in the Premiership if his head is right and he is with the right manager

15. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

what if it ain't his fault only?

16. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He does have ability we have seen that at Everton , Real Madrid and very briefly with us

17. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    This is probably pure speculation but the past 2 clubs he were at werent exactly gagging to keep a hold of him?

18. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I dont think he was ever really appreciated at Madrid because he was not a Galactico . Everton had to let him go he couldn't turn down Madrid

19. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    True

20. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Eveton had to sell him as he was in the last 6 months of his contract