1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    its maybe the case that typically, given the nature of his deeper position, Brown doesnt get as high up the pitch to make more telling penetrative passes and that when he is receiving the ball, often with his back to the game, the pass for him will be back to a center back or a wide player.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Even taking that into consideration, Davis only has one more assist than Brown this season, but Brown has more goals. I've seen Brown make plenty of good passes high up the pitch this season.

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    yeah i dont disagree, just offering an explanation as to why someone might be of the opinion that he doesnt make forward passes, because generally he is situated deeper.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And a CB or a GK will sometimes have a higher completion rate than a 10 or a playmaker. That doesn’t make them a better passer.

It’s pretty obvious.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We're talking about players who largely play in the same part of the pitch so that comment was pointless.

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just had a thought: are we as a team, too shy about long-range shots? Rangers started the game by gambling and shooting any time they had a chance. Could be a self-administered morale boost or something?

7. MrSpeaker89

What do yous think of this for a team? Definitely would have been better on Sunday (if all were fit). 3 centre backs, two wing backs, two CMs, two attacking mids and one striker

Forster
    Elhamed Julien Ajer
    Frimpong Taylor
    Brown McGregor
    Rogic Christie
    Edouard

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who perform different jobs, as was already pointed out.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    And that doesn't make Davis a better passer as was already pointed out.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We definitely should've started Ntcham with Christie tucking in. We again didn't dominate the midfield and that's why some of us came round to the idea of an extra body in midfield to get a grip of it..

I'd deffo like to see us play a 3-4-2-1 or something similar as we're a little too predictable and don't change it up a lot..

We need more of a physical presence in the side. For an outfield team we are really small outside centre half..

We've basically got just Jullien who can attack set pieces and that's it. Ajer is brutal at it and even though Eddy is 6'2 or something.....it isn't a strong point of his. Benkovic for example is excellent in the air..

Bit more steel and pace needed in the middle for sure I think..

11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We don't lack height so much, as opposed to heading skills. Regarding midfield control- I'd happily give it up if we went with 2 strikers. Rangers' defense isn't immune to mistakes, and 2 men occupying their attention will do better than Edouard alone.

12. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've said this already on other threads but the only difference between our play now including Sunday and our play at the start of the season including at Ibrox is that we're playing much deeper and standing off teams when their defenders or keeper has the ball. These are exactly the same players who were beating teams by 4,5,6 and 7 goals earlier tn the season and winning at Ibrox. I really believe all we have to do to bring back the goals and domination in games (including against the huns) is to bring back the aggressive high press we had before that was so successful and enjoyable to watch. I can't understand why it was changed. After the game at Ibrox Gerrard actually said they didn't cope with our aggressive pressing so why the * have we changed it. And it is a tactical move and not tiredness etc because you can see the players deliberately falling back to the half way line.

Marty McFly likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I think we definitely do lack height or player's who are comfortable attacking the ball in the air..

We genuinely only have 1 first team player who is happy to do it. It's so noticeable as it's him and only him at every set piece even when being marked....that will make sure he wins that header at all costs. We absolutely could do with another 1 or 2 like that as we'd score loads from freekicks and corners..

Isn't just height it's aggression. Henrik wasn't the biggest but he attacked and got up early to score plenty like that. We just don't have many competent player's in the air. Dembele is a miss in that regard..

Someone like that Soro for midfield is also required. Someone who isn't massive but has the tenacity, pace with and without the ball to make that an irrelevance. Someone comfortably playing it out quickly from deep and beating a press which we aren't the most convincing side with at time's..

14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We don't practice evading/bypassing an opposition press, I feel. Players like McGregor should be helpful in getting the ball out, but we often make irrational decisions under pressure. Practicing targeted long passes under pressure would be useful. Weakness to closing down used to be worse under Rodgers, though.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye you can see they're massively drilled in wee passing triangles from their midfield 3..

McGregor I thought was decent to a point the weekend but we weren't as comfortable....no question..

KT was bad for hoofing it and losing composure from a press under the snake..

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m not sure we need a tactical overhaul.

Games against the huns are typically decided by physicality and desire. Yes, over the past decade we’ve enjoyed an insurmountable technical advantage that’s seen us through even when we play in 2nd gear, but that gap has definitely closed.

We’ve approached the past few games with an attitude that suggests we believe we’ve simply to turn up, play our usual way vs the rest of the league, and we’ll
    win. There needs to be a monumental shift in that mentality.

We could definitely do with some more steel and imo the three attacking midfielders dropping deeper to flood the midfield though. I like Frimpong a lot, but El Hamed is an upgrade defensively and imo Taylor is simply better than Bolingoli. Mo coming back would also be a big boost, because Johnstone doesn’t seem to be ready yet.

If we could make those changes and bring in the likes fo Wanyama, I think we would be in a very good position.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The only guy I really see as being a consistent threat in the air is Julien. Ajer really needs to offer much more in that department.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    A lot of people are saying we need to strengthen in the transfer window and I agree it's always good to get 1 or 2 new faces in. But there's not always a lot of good players available in January. Nobody was saying we needed new players when we were winning easily, playing great football, winning at Ibrox and topping our EL group. The players we have have proven they're good enough. It's up to Lennon to get the tactics sorted out because that's all that's changed. I think blame lies with the manager, not the players and I supported Lennon right from the start and stuck up for him earlier in the season when things were a bit ropey at times but he's now got to prove he's up to the job.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We always needed a striker to compete with Eddy..

Lenny actually mentioned it a few time's before the season started but maybe thought we could go with Griff and Bayo til January....which hasn't worked..

We wanted a creative midfielder in the middle. We tried for Turnbull before his knee flagged up. We tried to sign Sawyers from Brentford but got turned down a couple of time's and I'm sure we sounded out other's like Harper at West Brom..

We need competition for Forrest. We have Shved but for whatever reason he isn't ready..

We need another centre half. We've had Jozo under the knife and a centre mid in Bitton is our backup in defence....that's it..

We don't need massive work but we need an injection of quality in at least 3 positions down the spine to help those already playing..

charlietully likes this.
  20. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't disagree but I doubt we'll get all that in January, there's just not enough good players become available. The players we have with a couple of additions (maybe loans like last year) should be good enough. It's up to the manager to get the best out of them as he was doing earlier in the season.