1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Well done Ireland!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, May 25, 2018.

Discuss Well done Ireland! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lord Gaga

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    It's such a shame that so many women in Ireland who don't want to have abortions are now going to be forced to have one.

No wait...

2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Abortion is not something that should be celebrated,but nobody has the right to tell a woman to go ahead with the pregnency or end the pregnency,it is her mind and her body,end of.Remember when condoms were not allowed to be used by certain sections of belief,the mind boggles beyond belief!
    Once a baby is born then a the Human Clock begins,your birth age begins,one month old,6 months old,10 years old,21 years old,67 years old,etc etc depending on how old you live.Trying to so called protect a fetus that is not human for what you think is right is wrong,you are dictating somebody else's life,telling them what to do and feel.
    Think of all the people that have been born,more energy should be spent making sure all these have the best possible lives,to concentrate so much thought and energy in so called saving other humans is obsurd.
    But like i said Abortion is not something to celebrate,but many a woman has had to live with the scars of doing it and indeed not doing it,as yes the world is not black and white.
    That said i think like many others who think it is up to the mother as such,the decision should be taken as soon as they realise they do not want the fetus to turn human.Of course like i also said it is not black or white,women can have abortions behind their partner's back.............
    But on the bigger scale there are so many total * ups the human race has done,does and will do,let us just try and help the humans that are actually born.

3. celtic warrior

If I were Irish and had the option I would have voted yes.

However I agree with everything said about how this is being celebrated as some sort of victory, it's not, nor is it progressive or regressive.

For me this about allowing a woman, whether you agree with how they got there or not deserves to choose what happens next, there is so many different ways in which women could have had zero choice in the conception, there is also a number of different scenarios where they might be faced with a horribly gut wrenching decision should some terrible abnormalities are found and not have to face criminal charges.

It's a horrible thing to decide for any woman or family, if it's something they need to consider then they should, as a bare minimum not be labelled a criminal.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

LOL ya ragin’ m8?

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Its one of those weird things, the baby doesnt know its alive so I dont really see the harm but at the same time it basically is just killing a baby since it would have been born and denying the chance of life.

You wouldn't want it to have happened to you(aborted) but also you'd never have known it happened anyway.

6. Sween

That is a pretty limited argument though. Laws exist precisely to determine what I can and cannot do with my own body and especially when my decision impacts upon the life of others.

The simple point of disagreement is whether an unborn baby is worthy of moral consideration and a right to life equal to a newly born baby (assuming we all agree a new born is worthy of moral consideration and has a right to life). For the exact same reasons I believe the right of a new born to live should be protected over the right of a mother or father to kill it because its not wanted, is why I think a baby in the belly shouldnt be killed.

I cant quite square how something in a womb carries no right to life but the second it is removed it suddenly becomes worthy. It feels like a convenient distinction to justify a choice that suits the mother.

That logic equally applies to all babies whether they are in the belly or out. But generally people dont believe it is justifiable to kill 3 month olds.

7. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    :60::ireland:

[​IMG]

8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I wonder did it cost much to get that banner done up

9. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It's not like people are celebrating abortions- they're not handing them out on a 2 for 1 offer ffs. They're glad that women now have the option to terminate an unwanted pregnancy in much safer circumstances. Being able to take control over your own body and wellbeing should be celebrated.

Mystic Penguin and Johniebhoy. like this.
  10. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think so.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Some amazing scenes.

12. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I see this thread has been hijacked to fit an agenda, 'Well done Ireland'. :87:

Sorry in mind, the potential legalisation of abortion in any circumstances up to 12 weeks, is not something we should be celebrating..

13. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I wonder if men could also get pregnant this * would even be an issue? :43:

Think we all know the answer to that.

Fiferbhoy1991 and BigWilly like this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Tricky for May in the North now being propped up by the DUP..

15. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Very condescending thread title.

16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    While I would have voted yes based on medical reason, rape etc, I really hope this isn't viewed/used as a form of contraception. I also think those celebrating this should tone it down before they start to look more uncaring/heartless or out of touch as the previous system was.

17. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    Actually this is something to celebrate, not celebrating abortions, but celebrating the fact that women will know have legal access to healthcare and family planning services that will save lives, take a look at areas where abortion is banned or limited and you will see that death's and injuries will skyrocket due to desperate woman turning to options not offered by medical services, believing life begins at conception is not supported by science or fact, so basing national policy off it goes against all aspects of common sense. I know the topic is one that seems very grim too many, and as a Man I can't say I have ever been effected by any abortions laws, in Ireland or the US for which I have dual-citizenship, but I did grow up in a neighborhood where even a semblance of Family planning could have save lives.

18. Jeremie Frimpong

I saw a post on Facebook about this that said ‘Don’t you dare tell women what to do with their bodies.’

I have never understood that line of reasoning: we all agree that at some point during the pregnancy, the child acquires legal personhood.

Are prospective fathers to be given any consideration at all, either legally or morally? We all agree that he becomes responsible for the child both legally and morally at some point during pregnancy.

The framing is simplistic at best.

Sydneysider likes this.
  19. Sydneysider

Pro-choice groups in the UK ( inc the Midwives Council) want to remove the ( on-demand) time limit ( 24 weeks ) completely.

Interesting too that 40+% of abortions in the UK are to women who have had previous abortions, often multiple cases.

20. ynwa1987

Im pro choice but 24 weeks is absolutely criminal.

I’m glad the yes side won but I am disappointed in some of the rhetoric and shaming from the yes side on social media.

I’m sure some of the no side did their share of shady * as well but being but I hold them to much lower standards.